Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my local muffler shop replace the suitcase with straight pipes today. They charged me $100, tax included. It's not as loud as I expected, but I like it. I kept the resonators because I like the tips.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
This is pretty much expected (surprisingly not as loud as you expected), given those who have done the suitcase-only delete.

One thing you might consider trying (that could actually make it "just right") is to drill a moderate size hole on the inside face of each resonator. That will reduce the frequency-notch effect of the resonator (it's primary purpose). That means more of that good sound that is coming down the pipe (now that the suitcase is gone) will actually get to the tailpipe w/o being canceled out.

I'm experimenting with this myself (albeit, w/o the suitcase delete). I project you might consider trying a 1/4" size hole on the resonators (I went with a 1/8" size hole and experienced a subtle change in sound that was far from drastic, if that concerns you). Actually, I would still recommend the 1/8" hole at this location, since the whole point of doing it has more to do with introducing a resistive damping element, rather than size of the hole (which will shift the tuning). So in that case, you want a smallish hole that will get a little "winded". If it flows freely, then you won't get the damping.

If you would rather not fiddle with the resonator tuning, directly, you might consider drilling a hole on the rear face of the resonator about 1-2" over from where the final exhaust outlet is. The idea here is to provide an orifice (stop giggling there in the back) where a bit of direct sound can escape (which should be quite potent, given your resonator delete) before it gets gutted by the resonator interaction. Again, 1/4" hole might be a good starting point (I went with two 1/8" holes on each resonator).

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Oh, forgot one last detail- the directions I typed above are intended for the resonators that are on the automatic. If you are a manual, the resonators may have a slightly different baffle design, in which case the location of holes will not do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, guys.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Randycat99- Where exactly are these holes supposed to be drilled? A friend of mine is interested, and I might be later.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yup, the resonators without mufflers will get louder as you put more miles on. I'd wait a few thousand before butchering up the resonators and see how it sounds then.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Why..are you saying you kept the resonators because of the tips? Any muffler shop can easily cut that resonator off and weld a piece of striaght pipe in place...you'd keep your tips...

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
you can buy res delete pipes from blastin bobs and the tips fit right back on them.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
when you guys mean suitcase,do you mean the muffler after the x pipe or the ones in the back where the tips are connected to?does anyone know if it will be smog legal?

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Randycat99- Where exactly are these holes supposed to be drilled? A friend of mine is interested, and I might be later.
I will reply back later if I can find a good way to show what I did on some sort of schematics...

Be aware, that drilling holes in your exhaust system is probably a sure way to cancel any warranty for rusting sort of issue on the stock exhaust system. I'm not saying it will rust, but it stands to reason to expect they will not likely warranty replace your exhaust system after you start drilling holes in it. ;) This is all predicated that you are on the verge of replacing it or eventually intend to, anyway, hence the liberal experimentation.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Here is the schematic that should graphically indicate where to drill holes:

When I suggest multiple holes, that should reasonably be a "2nd step" to the process. I highly suggest trying a single hole, initially, evaluating (at least a few days, while fully warmed-up), and then proceeding with multiple holes if you are comfortable that more are needed for your tastes.

To address any rust issues, I suggest a dab of clear lacquer in and through drilled areas, once you have reached a state of modification that you feel is satisfactory. If you go too far with holes, you may consider closing such extraneous holes with aluminum tape for mufflers or maybe even hit it with a bead of weld material.

Please feel free to post feedback if you achieve desirable results or no significant difference that you can tell. If you are proud of the mod, please do shoot a video, if you can! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
This is pretty much expected (surprisingly not as loud as you expected), given those who have done the suitcase-only delete.

One thing you might consider trying (that could actually make it "just right") is to drill a moderate size hole on the inside face of each resonator. That will reduce the frequency-notch effect of the resonator (it's primary purpose). That means more of that good sound that is coming down the pipe (now that the suitcase is gone) will actually get to the tailpipe w/o being canceled out.

I'm experimenting with this myself (albeit, w/o the suitcase delete). I project you might consider trying a 1/4" size hole on the resonators (I went with a 1/8" size hole and experienced a subtle change in sound that was far from drastic, if that concerns you). Actually, I would still recommend the 1/8" hole at this location, since the whole point of doing it has more to do with introducing a resistive damping element, rather than size of the hole (which will shift the tuning). So in that case, you want a smallish hole that will get a little "winded". If it flows freely, then you won't get the damping.

If you would rather not fiddle with the resonator tuning, directly, you might consider drilling a hole on the rear face of the resonator about 1-2" over from where the final exhaust outlet is. The idea here is to provide an orifice (stop giggling there in the back) where a bit of direct sound can escape (which should be quite potent, given your resonator delete) before it gets gutted by the resonator interaction. Again, 1/4" hole might be a good starting point (I went with two 1/8" holes on each resonator).
How about a pic showing this for our members?

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
As far as expectations, no, you shouldn't expect a sudden transformation into a full aftermarket Corsa catback. ;)

It just makes the existing sound a bit more prominent such that there is a reminder of a v8 at work at all times, not just when you stand on it. Potentially, it emits a bit more of the native sound of the engine with all of its harmonics, texture, and rasp/snarl, rather than just the monotone, "woo-woo" sound that the stock system seems to focus on, imo. It still does not have the burblely staccato that I would really have liked, but I think it is a good compromise short of changing the whole thing out.

...and to reiterate, this is expressly intended for the resonators that accompany the suitcase system on the RT automatics. The hole locations and functionality would likely be different for the resonators on the manuals or the SRT automatics.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Thanks, a friend of mine has a '10 R/T identical to mine and he will try this out, since he plans on buying a catback in the spring anyway. I'll let you know when I hear it in person. His camcorder clips leave a lot to be desired, audio quality wise. Bass is not there at all, sounds like netbook speakers, even when played through a decent sound system with a sub.

·
Registered
834 Posts
when you guys mean suitcase,do you mean the muffler after the x pipe or the ones in the back where the tips are connected to?does anyone know if it will be smog legal?
Suitcase is the big squarish muffler just past the x pipe like you said. The
resonators are the 2 at the back by the tips.

Loved the "brylcream" mod on my Charger R/T. Cheap way to get a nice
sound while you decide on a real exhaust set up. Paid $75 when I had
mine done.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
I had my local muffler shop replace the suitcase with straight pipes today. They charged me $100, tax included. It's not as loud as I expected, but I like it. I kept the resonators because I like the tips.
Glad you posted this!! I was wondering what would happen if this was tried. I run my 70 R/T through resonators only, and it has a great sound. Tell me, how does it sound at idle?

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Here are the pix showing my experimentation, so far:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts