Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it's kind of fun to see other's takes on cars, so I decide to post up my impressions.
On my muscle car quest, drove all these cars within 2 days. I found all interiors to be fine/comfortable and I don't want leather so all were cloth versions. The Dodge's were more comfortable inside with better seats but I could live with any of them. Power seat with lumbar is really all I require and all had that. So more or less performance/ride comparisons.

1-'14 Challenger RT blacktop manual-Ok....have to say this. BEST looking car in the bunch. I love the granite blacktop version look. Just to me....awesome. Clean, yet classy and bada$$. I just learned that I don't want to drive a manual anymore. I just don't want to clutch in/clutch out day to day.....light to light. But that's just me. The manual was fun and nice. If I was going to have this as a 2nd car, it would be the manual.

This car had a real nice ride quality to it. Nice on the highway.
Power was good but did feel like the weight/hp in the Challenger made the car feel just slightly below what I'd say was FAAAST. But really a nice car....yes it was a bit big. But I liked it. The stock exhaust was a little too muted/tame for me. Aftermarket one needed.

2-'14 Challenger RT auto with super track pack-Was surprised by the auto a bit. Didn't slow down the car much. Just like the manual.....very nice ride. I have to admit sometimes the Challenger does a feel a bit on the XL side as well. But the power delivery is smooth and it's far from slow.

3-Charger SRT8-leftover '12 superbee- This car rode a little rougher than the challenger. You could it tell the suspension was tuned a bit stiffer...not a lot but I could tell. The engine and exhaust is pretty monstrous here. Stock sounded awesome and the power was really good. It definitely had a bit more eagerness than the Challenger. The SRT-8 steering wheel is friggin awesome too. But even this leftover heavily discounted superbee was $7-8K more than an R/T challenger. But this thing was very beastly.

4-Mustang GT automatic-2014-No options except power driver's seat. Ok going to have to say this car probably has the best engine of the bunch or tied with the SRT8. To me it felt noticeably quicker than the RT and honestly it may have been quicker or as quick as the SRT-8 392. The Mustang's exhaust stock also sounded better than the R/T's for sure. Not sure aftermarket is needed. Handled a bit better than the Dodges due to the smaller size. Interior definitely not as roomy and backseats are a joke...but for a driver and passenger it felt fine. Seeing over the big hood took a bit of getting used to. Biggest problem I noticed was the ride quality. It didn't ride all that rough......more just the jittery rear end that to me felt primitive.....mostly on the freeway. The Dodge's felt really nice on the freeway especially the Challengers. The Mustang just had this rear-end that felt busy....and lots of tire/road noise.

With that said......like most cars....you do get used to things. The engine/transmission of the GT were good enough that I *might* pick this car and gamble that the ride...etc. I would just get used to eventually. That's how good that 5.0 felt to me anyway.

But if I'm not a gambling man, I think the auto R/T blacktop would be my choice. A mopar, borla..or whatever exhaust would certainly fixed the sound I would think. The ride/refinement is just noticeably better. And the looks are just incredible. But I'd have to get used to something in the Challenger RT.....that's it's not going pack the punch of the Mustang GT.

But if the Mustang rode like the Challenger.....I'd get the GT without question.....regardless if there are a lot of them on the road and they're not a sexy as a Challenger......bang for the buck would win.

So which one am I going to go with? I don't know yet......dammit! :bash:
Probably what I can get the cheapest. The SRT-8 is just out of my range....I thought I could get it for $35K but no dice. The RTs (blacktop auto would be what I'd choose) and GT (base auto basically)....I'd be shooting for $30K or less OTD. Preferably new of course. But an auto blacktop would probably be the best all arounder and what I'm leaning toward I think.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Here's how I summed it up when I was posting my impressions on facebook.

I took a 2014 Challenger (with super track pack) and a 2014 Mustang out for a test drive today and found them to each be amazingly fun cars. I don't think the cars could be more different feeling but each in positive ways.

The Mustang feels small and nimble it feels very much like you'd expect a sports car to feel with a tightly grouped short throw shifter. The visibility from inside the car is great the seating is very different than the Trans Am where it felt like you were seated inches off the road and visibility out of the back of the car was a week point. The mustang base model seats were excellent I couldn't imagine wanting to upgrade to the Recaro seats. On bumps the mustang reminded me of the Trans Am where it could get a little unsettled but on smooth pavement it felt great. I wasn't timing the cars but from the seat of the pants the mustang felt quicker when going from first to third when I had to let off of it since I'd prefer not getting thoroughly acquainted with the local PD.
The Challenger isn't as fast, doesn't feel as nimble, and in general feels less like a sports car and more like a muscle car... The ironic part though is it has enough in the performance areas to be really pleasant. It felt about as fast as the T/A, It stayed really flat in corners and seemed like it was willing to hold the line you'd set for it. At speed in corners with road imperfections the car felt solid and didn't get unsettled. The visibility isn't quite as good as the Mustang but would be on par to maybe slightly better than the fourth gen f bodies. The shifter throws are longer than the mustang which I liked. The one thing to get used to is shifting from 5th to 6th. On the T/A it was a quick slap down and you'd be in 6th. On the challenger the shifter wants to return to the 3rd/4th gate so while moving to 6th you need to push the shifter down and right to get into 6th.

Which would/will I buy that's a tough choice as I spec'd them out the price difference would be around 600 bucks. I think anyone shopping for either car would be happy with either in the driveway. If you were going to be in autocross, spectator drags, road course, or drag strip as well as weekend driver I think the Mustang hits the mark. On the other hand if I was going to drive one of the two cars on a 700 mile trip to say Ohio I'd take the Challenger. I think either could be a daily driver spring to fall but the Challenger seems to handle frost heaves and road imperfection enough better I'd choose it as a daily driver.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I know both of you are giving honest comparisons; however, I feel comparing these two cars are comparing two different platforms. It's like comparing a 454 70 Chevelle against a 70 Boss. Both are quick cars, but only one is a muscle car. The Mustang has gotten smaller than it's 1970 namesake; whereas, the Challenger has gotten bigger. It is more of a blvd. cruiser than a pony car; and, it shows. A Challenger has more of a muscle car feel while the Mustang is more of a sports car with two extra seats (albeit un-useful).
Mustang weighs 600 lbs less and has a more powerful engine/ It's no surprise it feels quicker.
If your looking for a weekend racer, go for the Mustang. If you want a comfortable car that you can actually use the back seats and trunk, get the Challenger.
The SRT Superbee shouldn't even be in this conversation. JMHO, Tom

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's how I summed it up when I was posting my impressions on facebook.

I took a 2014 Challenger (with super track pack) and a 2014 Mustang out for a test drive today and found them to each be amazingly fun cars. I don't think the cars could be more different feeling but each in positive ways.

The Mustang feels small and nimble it feels very much like you'd expect a sports car to feel with a tightly grouped short throw shifter. The visibility from inside the car is great the seating is very different than the Trans Am where it felt like you were seated inches off the road and visibility out of the back of the car was a week point. The mustang base model seats were excellent I couldn't imagine wanting to upgrade to the Recaro seats. On bumps the mustang reminded me of the Trans Am where it could get a little unsettled but on smooth pavement it felt great. I wasn't timing the cars but from the seat of the pants the mustang felt quicker when going from first to third when I had to let off of it since I'd prefer not getting thoroughly acquainted with the local PD.
The Challenger isn't as fast, doesn't feel as nimble, and in general feels less like a sports car and more like a muscle car... The ironic part though is it has enough in the performance areas to be really pleasant. It felt about as fast as the T/A, It stayed really flat in corners and seemed like it was willing to hold the line you'd set for it. At speed in corners with road imperfections the car felt solid and didn't get unsettled. The visibility isn't quite as good as the Mustang but would be on par to maybe slightly better than the fourth gen f bodies. The shifter throws are longer than the mustang which I liked. The one thing to get used to is shifting from 5th to 6th. On the T/A it was a quick slap down and you'd be in 6th. On the challenger the shifter wants to return to the 3rd/4th gate so while moving to 6th you need to push the shifter down and right to get into 6th.

Which would/will I buy that's a tough choice as I spec'd them out the price difference would be around 600 bucks. I think anyone shopping for either car would be happy with either in the driveway. If you were going to be in autocross, spectator drags, road course, or drag strip as well as weekend driver I think the Mustang hits the mark. On the other hand if I was going to drive one of the two cars on a 700 mile trip to say Ohio I'd take the Challenger. I think either could be a daily driver spring to fall but the Challenger seems to handle frost heaves and road imperfection enough better I'd choose it as a daily driver.

Take it easy
Jay
Yup...I'd agree with this. Except that I'm not sure I'd say the Mustang felt small or nimble....maybe compared to the Challenger. But I test drove a Fiesta ST.....that felt small/nimble. I see you ended up with a Challeger..congrats.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I know both of you are giving honest comparisons; however, I feel comparing these two cars are comparing two different platforms. It's like comparing a 454 70 Chevelle against a 70 Boss. Both are quick cars, but only one is a muscle car. The Mustang has gotten smaller than it's 1970 namesake; whereas, the Challenger has gotten bigger. It is more of a blvd. cruiser than a pony car; and, it shows. A Challenger has more of a muscle car feel while the Mustang is more of a sports car with two extra seats (albeit un-useful).
Mustang weighs 600 lbs less and has a more powerful engine/ It's no surprise it feels quicker.
If your looking for a weekend racer, go for the Mustang. If you want a comfortable car that you can actually use the back seats and trunk, get the Challenger.
Yeah I hear you after having driven both of them. Before driving them I was thinking of the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger as all being in the same market retro two door rear wheel drive pony cars fighting for the same customer. After driving both I realized that wasn't / shouldn't be the case. I knew going in the Challenger was heavier and my concern was handling wise would it feel like a boat rather than sporty etc so I was pleasantly surprised by the Challengers performance in the end.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I know both of you are giving honest comparisons; however, I feel comparing these two cars are comparing two different platforms. It is more of a blvd. cruiser than a pony car; and, it shows. A Challenger has more of a muscle car feel while the Mustang is more of a sports car with two extra seats (albeit un-useful).
I disagree about the the Mustang. It feels like a muscle car to me....solid rear axle, big hood to look over....and while it may not be 4000lbs, it still feels heavy. A sports car to me is a BR-Z/FR-S, 370z, Corvette..etc. The Challenger is also a muscle car that happens to ride better but is probably a tad overweight. And I think if Dodge knew how to shave 300lbs off it, they gladly would. There's a reason why there's a ton of Mustang/Camaro/Challenger comparos.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Not a fair comparison IMO

I keep hearing how the GT stang is faster than the Challenger. Forget pricing and do an SRT Challenger test against the GT. It's not faster. The GT is more nimble, but doesn't handle better. The sound of the mustang is literally piped into the car with ducting. That is why it sounded louder.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I keep hearing how the GT stang is faster than the Challenger. Forget pricing and do an SRT Challenger test against the GT. It's not faster. The GT is more nimble, but doesn't handle better. The sound of the mustang is literally piped into the car with ducting. That is why it sounded louder.
I don't think that really is a fair comparison either since you're looking at a 10K+ difference if the only goal was going faster the extra 10K in mods on the mustang is still the way to go. For most of us price is part of the pros and cons when making the comparison between the two cars. I'm always surprised the different car mags compare the base GT and SS against SRTs since price wise that should be a different tier. The impression that the only way for the comparison to be valid is to not test the R/T vs. the other base model V8s is what gave me the impression the car was too heavy to handle well or be fun to drive as an R/T. The cars styling is what convinced me to give a try anyways.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Like Jay says......you're talking a $10K difference or more. I can get a 5.0 for under $30K. An Challenger SRT core for maybe $40K.

No matter.....what I do give big credit to the Challenger R/T is that seemed the best compromise of all of them. I'm in my 40s now and spoiled by the ride and comfort of my Milan. Everytime I get in something sportier and fun, I think yeah.....it's also stiffer, jarring.....and I'd think I'd miss my Milan ride soon if I bought this car.

The Challenger R/T was the only car that felt really nice/comfortable drive. And while it may not be a rocket.....it had plenty of power to get you in trouble. It only felt "slowish" compared to the GT and SRT I drove. Let's face it compared to most cars.....it's fast. I think the R/T may just have the right balance and price point is pretty good. It does feel a bit huge though. That's about my only reservation. Well that and I'd have to write a check for about $22K after my trade......

·
Banned
349 Posts
The number one thing that I always come back to when the Mustang comes up. The shear number of them. Honestly, there has to be more Mustangs on the road than all of the other Pony/Muscle cars combined. Every cruise night and or car show you go to, you are guaranteed to have an overwhelming majority of Mustangs, then Camaros will follow.

I'm not sure why it is so many people are willing to follow the crowd so to speak when it comes to the Mustang. Why would anyone want a car that EVERYONE else also has? Yes, they are quick, there is no denying that. Aside from that, what else is there? There is a Mustang at every single red light you come too! Not too mention the quality of the fine folks who generally own them, oh brother, a whole new topic of it's own. Let's just say your local Walmart parking lot is usually a Mustang ranch it seems...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
So you drive a "little Mustang"........

For me I always refer to the Mustangs as a little boy car, Man Up!.....get a man's car, this is what I always tell my friends that own a Mustang. I just don't like them, never have, never will.
I have my SRT and it is a Man's Car without question!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've always wanted an older muscle car. I've had older ones all my life, but the upkeep was put me off of another one. It was a constant battle to fight rust.What I originally wanted was a mustang when they came out with the retro body style 2005 I think. I have to give Ford credit for starting the trend back up. My problem was by then I needed something bigger. I jumped into an 06 Charger R/T and loved it, but it didn't seem retro at all. I settled on the Challenger and had to wait for them to come down on price. I also love that it is bigger and reminds me of an old school car. Hel l my 70 Ford Fairlane made the Chally look small. I went with the R/T Classic to help with the nostalgia. I'm not worried about it being the fastest. If that was the case I would have went with a car that's a whole lot cheaper to mod. The thing fits my THREE sons in the back seat and has a HUGE trunk and it puts a smile on my face when I romp on it. The gas mileage is pretty good too!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I've had two Coyote powered GTs with manuals and I can tell you they are faster than an RT and a 392 (the 392 is very close though). Also, in Mustangs the manual is faster than the auto. The ride of the Challenger is much better than the Mustang and the interior quality is also superior in the Challenger when comparing similar trim options. The Mustang GT will also out corner any Challenger whether it's a STP R/T or a SRT8. That's just a fact. Check the skid pad ratings. All that being said, I like the way the Challenger looks and drives over the Mustang GT. The Mustang is a cheaper faster car with decent looks that is very easy to mod. The Challenger is a gentleman's Muscle Car that looks fantastic! My $.02

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I must be day-dreaming when I beat 5.0s then. LOL

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had two Coyote powered GTs with manuals and I can tell you they are faster than an RT and a 392 (the 392 is very close though). Also, in Mustangs the manual is faster than the auto. The ride of the Challenger is much better than the Mustang and the interior quality is also superior in the Challenger when comparing similar trim options. The Mustang GT will also out corner any Challenger whether it's a STP R/T or and SRT8. That's just a fact. Check the skid pad ratings. All that being said, I like the way the Challenger looks and drives over the Mustang GT. The Mustang is a cheaper faster car with decent looks that is very easy to mod. The Challenger is a gentleman's Muscle Car that looks fantastic! My $.02

Yup...agree with it all.

·
Registered
280 Posts
...Not too mention the quality of the fine folks who generally own them, oh brother, a whole new topic of it's own. Let's just say your local Walmart parking lot is usually a Mustang ranch it seems...
Hey, I like Walmart! But you aren't seriously suggesting Mustang owners fit a certain profile, are you? Yikes!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Drivers man. I beat 392s with my stock Mustang... I was going by posted test numbers by professional drivers. Mustangs are just a touch quicker than SRT8s. I still prefer the Challenger though.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Drivers man. I beat 392s with my stock Mustang... I was going by posted test numbers by professional drivers. Mustangs are just a touch quicker than SRT8s. I still prefer the Challenger though.
Disagree completely

·
Registered
545 Posts
I seem to never get the chance
Apparently my Challenger is a magnet for all techno pumping ******-nozzle teenagers driving fart-box Nissan Maximas in the greater Albuquerque area .

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
LOL Stantz that seems to be the case with me a lot as well....Always get the young crowd driving some caked-up tacky import with a loud fart can muffler wanting to get froggy with my R/T...always ends in their embarrassment...I have never driven the newer mustangs or camero's so I just know my R/T feels pretty damn quick...60 comes up before I know it. I see all these people here driving around in their mustangs, they just all start looking the same to me..see a ton of camero's too..When I do catch another Challenger though it always catches my eye...and half of us always end up waving at each other or flashing our lights....we stick with our own..

1 - 20 of 124 Posts