Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no enemies, haven't pissed anyone off, can't think of anyone that would do this, nor have I drove alongside brush.

It's pretty obvious on my black paint, runs from the door to the rear all the way. fades in, then fades out.

My worst fear is that someone thinks I'm someone else, that would be bad... every other week scratches... or worse..... :/

first question, can anyone recommend a good kit or all in one polish to repair, its just clearcoat deep, not bad i can rub my finger on it and it'll fade to black a bit.

second, ive already got a dashcam and it didnt produce any evidence.. but im curious about setting up a battery powered 24/7 webcam. any suggestions on this?
thanks

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Best is to take 3000 grit with water and sand it then polish with a machine
Find a detail shop in your area if you don’t have the equipment or don’t feel comfortable doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Vandalism is normally covered under your comprehensive insurance. I've had vehicles keyed, door kicked/dented, windows smashed (all at public parking lots), and insurance covered them all. Since I carry zero deductible, it cost me nothing each time. This same insurance coverage recently took care of over $1200 of rodent damage to wiring on my Challenger. You pay for the insurance, use it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,129 Posts
Remember, some people are just @holes, or kids don't always think straight. A Guy

·
Registered
643 Posts
Vandalism is normally covered under your comprehensive insurance. I've had vehicles keyed, door kicked/dented, windows smashed (all at public parking lots), and insurance covered them all. Since I carry zero deductible, it cost me nothing each time. This same insurance coverage recently took care of over $1200 of rodent damage to wiring on my Challenger. You pay for the insurance, use it.
I've never heard of a no deductible insurance. Would the premiums just cost more? Will your rate increase if you end up using insurance? Which insurance company are you using?

·
Registered
643 Posts
i have no enemies, havent pissed anyone off, cant think of anyone that would do this, nor have i drove alongside brush.

its pretty obvious on my black paint, runs from the door to the rear all the way. fades in, then fades out.
my worst fear is that someone thinks im someone else, that would be bad... every other week scratches... or worse..... :/

first question, can anyone recommend a good kit or all in one polish to repair, its just clearcoat deep, not bad i can rub my finger on it and it'll fade to black a bit.

second, ive already got a dashcam and it didnt produce any evidence.. but im curious about setting up a battery powered 24/7 webcam. any suggestions on this?
thanks
I purchased the blackvue 4k dashcam with 2 channels (front and rear) with the magic pro that will regulate the battery usage so it could safely record while car is parked. I hope I won't have to use it but hopefully when I do it can record for any vandalism or hit and runs. See if a professional could buff off the scratch if it's not too deep. I would recommend maybe a clear bra. I have it on the front of my car, going to install them on my door as well for dings. I think it's the most common spot for dings so that I could dentless remove it without needing to worry about paint damage.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Sorry to read about the vandalism.

I have a Thinkware F800 dash cam in both my Hellcat and JCW.

F800 | THINKWARE

This camera has a time lapse mode that can be used to catch vandalism, or parking lot "accidents" in which the driver of the other vehicle after bumping the car drives away.

For this feature to work requires the camera to be on all the time but it does have a battery save feature that will shut the camera off if the car's battery voltage drops too low. The threshold at which the camera shuts off can be set.

For the scratch my advice is to take the car to a highly regarded body/paint shop for proper evaluation. While you can (maybe) sand/blend the scratch you remove clear coat which ain't good. Get a professional's opinion regarding what is the best way to "fix" the damage is my advice.

·
Registered
964 Posts
General rule... if you can catch the scratch with your fingernail, you probably need the panels repainted if you want the scratch completely removed.

As mentioned above, wet sanding and polishing can greatly lessen or remove some scratches. Wet sanding must be done correctly, you don't just sand the scratch. You sand the area of the scratch, you may have a 10" to 12" sanded area running down the side of your car before moving to the buffer.

If you just sand the scratch you will end up with a wavy distortion in the clear coat that will be obvious when sighting down the side of the car.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Others have given advice, but I have a question for the OP.
I’m curious as to where the vandalism happened. Was the car parked at home, work, public parking lot? If in a parking lot, was it parked way out at the edge away from other cars?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Remember, some people are just @holes, or kids don't always think straight. A Guy
Yep, I assume it was probably kids admiring my car and drove away when they hit me in a parking lot. Had to get the entire front bumper replaced.

I've never heard of a no deductible insurance. Would the premiums just cost more? Will your rate increase if you end up using insurance? Which insurance company are you using?
Yes, typically most insurance companies offer it but it is a pretty high premium. I don't have a zero deductible on my challenger, but have a $200 deductible wasn't too much more than the $500. It already paid off when someone hit me in a parking lot and I had to get the bumper replaced. Over $2000 in damage after labor paint and the bumper.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the advice everyone.

i have no clue when and where it happened, but if i just noticed it, it probably happened within 3-4 days of noticing.. so the only place ive been has been at work parking lot.
my current dashcam's sensitivity is set too low to have picked it up, on top of that, i just realized it hasnt even been recording properly.. sheesh.

might have to upgrade to a front/rear cam option with a good sensitivity. taking notes of the above mentioned cams.
because if it was a vandal, they do it once, they'll probably do it again.

nail does catch, so im not gonna mess with it too much, especially not using any sand paper.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If the scratch didn't go all the way through the clear it can be buffed out by a pro bringing your clear in that area down to very minimum (no big deal)...is it possible someone walked between your car and another carrying something that did the scratching?...the sad thing is if you leave your car alone out in the wild it's open season on it, my car's a toy so normally I only get out of it to gas up and it never leaves my sight..I mean like even at car shows you still got bozos bumping into the mirrors and kids pawing it up, wth?!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts