Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard that the Demon was a limited production that ended 4 months ago.
Just when I get the wife’s permission....I find out the remains ones are in a bidding war of 130k +.

So now what....wait till 1st quarter next year and see what they are doing with the hellephant or just go with a red eye?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I would bet money that the Hellephant will never see a production car. It was developed solely as a turn key crate motor.

If you want the closest thing to a Demon you can get, go for a Hellcat Redeye Widebody. Just a few HP shy of the Demon’s non race fuel tune. You could easily modify one with just a pulley and tune to produce more power than a stock Demon.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
redeye

·
Registered
596 Posts
They say the Demon has a bit more horsepower because of the hood. I'm wondering if the Hellcat Redeye would have the same horsepower if it was replaced with a Demon hood?

I'd just get a Hellcat Redeye at this point, not worth the huge mark up for the Demon.

·
Super Moderator
13,601 Posts
They say the Demon has a bit more horsepower because of the hood. I'm wondering if the Hellcat Redeye would have the same horsepower if it was replaced with a Demon hood?

I'd just get a Hellcat Redeye at this point, not worth the huge mark up for the Demon.
Good advice. That's the way to go.

797 hp. on pump gas isn't too shabby. Check out this thread.

https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f290/797-hp-new-hellcat-redeye-717-hp-hellcat-658041/?658041=#post8342181

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,329 Posts
They say the Demon has a bit more horsepower because of the hood. I'm wondering if the Hellcat Redeye would have the same horsepower if it was replaced with a Demon hood...
Doubt it. By you could buy two Redeyes for the cost of one demon.

... then you could go twice as fast :)

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
586 Posts
The Widebody Redeye is basically a Demon minus a few features. Specifically the air intake system, transbrake, drag race suspension, 100+ octane tune PCM, the crate and all its goodies. With the exception of the intake system and transbrake (which most folks don't appear to be using anyway) one could retrofit their Redeye for a lot less than the price of a Demon. The local dealer gave me a price on a Redeye widebody that is close to half the price of the Demons that are available. No brainer from my perspective.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If this is the case, buy a vintage 70's Challenger. No risks involved with the appreciation of the vehicle. It will ONLY go up in value.
WOW!! "no risk" / "only go up in value"

That sort of crazy confidence is about as far out on the spectrum "risk" gets to. "A fool and his money are soon parted" was inspired by EXACTLY that kind of crazy talk.

I can think of quite a few things that could demolish the idea of a "sure" win when buying a highly speculative investment like an old car.

Three that come up right off the top:

1. The fan base for these cars, the people who remember them have an actual driving attachment to them and desire them most, are getting older. It remains to be determined if the muscle cars will stand up as so desired by collectors that they will continue to appreciate even after most all the Boomers are gone and out of the market.

2. Cars themselves. You have to wonder where transportation is going. What trends may make the cars we drive so obsolete this too might change the idea of muscle cars as a collectible.

3. Collectibles of any sort, Cars, Art, or what ever......these are the most volatile of investments. They will cost you the expense of holding them, to maintain their value, they require insurance so rather than pay you an on going yield to "wait" they actually "tap you" for cash.

How about one more?

Ultimately collectibles also tend to swing wildly on the whims of other markets and the global economy. Tending to do better when people are "flush" and fall, often dramatically, when times are tougher. Buying at what are already pretty inflated prices today vs where they were just a few years ago could bite you pretty hard vs waiting for the next downturn where collectible cars are often among the first investments to take a serious "hit".

.....and nobody should ever forget the opportunity cost of holding a collectible. The potential other BETTER USE of the cash you deploy is no small thing itself.

Sure thing?

There is no such thing.

But in the case of a collectible car like a 70 Challenger this is especially true.

That goes a long way to why people who do invest in such vehicles so often tell you, "Buy what you really like!" It'll give you that emotional way out when you have to sell or want to and things haven't worked out as you'd hoped on the appreciation.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just heard that the Demon was a limited production that ended 4 months ago.
Just when I get the wife’s permission....I find out the remains ones are in a bidding war of 130k +.

So now what....wait till 1st quarter next year and see what they are doing with the hellephant or just go with a red eye?
If you REALLY want a Demon. Buy one.

But since you're considering alternatives and it sounds like you want to actually drive your purchased car.

This one is pretty easy.

Just cross the Demon off the list. It's lost to you already. Once speculation has entered the market for the cars it's no longer a smart buy to drive.

Then again I have no idea how much $130,000 is to you. Just because many people, including myself, in this forum may see it as a pretty big number for a car purchase. That doesn't mean you are among those people. God knows FCA's domestic competition wouldn't sell you their cheapest Ferrari or Lamborghini models for a number so very small.

If it's not seen as an especially big number for a car and you can easily stomach the idea of driving the car and watching it's value fade away pretty quick vs those that are bought and stored..... then get out there and buy one.

When it comes to the car you want to drive. It's been my experience that buying less than what you really want (assuming it's easily within your budget) is usually a mistake that comes with real regret later.

For me $130,000 isn't the pocket change it would have to be to buy one of the remaining Demons and then drive it.

I'm with others here who'd much more likely buy the Red Eye if the idea of an 800HP Challenger for street use didn't seem flat out USELESS to me. A sub 6 figure price tag is the "hook" that would see me buying the Red Eye over the Demon for sure.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,329 Posts
...Sure thing? There is no such thing...
You're wrong: there are indeed sure things in this world...

One day a dad took his son out to teach him how to play golf. On one particular hole, the boy's ball ended up in the rough. He set up for the shot just like his father had shown him, and took a mighty swing. But instead of hitting the ball, he carved a huge trench through a nearby ant mound. As his father wiped a dozen or so ants off his shirt, he said, "Just aim a little bit to the left, and you'll hit the ball, SURE THING !!!!!" So the boy did as his father said, and again hit the ant mound, sending dozens of the little fellas flying through the air. The father, wiping ants from his hair, said, "Now I know what you're doing wrong. Try aiming a little bit to the right and you'll hit the ball, SURE THING!!" With renewed confidence, the boy readjusted his stance, and gave the club his best effort. Again, he hit the same mound, digging almost every last ant from the ground. Just then, the final two remaining ants popped their heads up out of the ground and said, "If we want to survive THIS GUY, the only sure thing around her is to GET ON THE BALL."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After doing more research, it seems the Redeye is a cross between the Hellcat and the Demon.
And at about 75-85k depending on upgrades, certainly seems more of a viable solution.
Those who got one early may see equity value....but I cannot justify it at this point simply to say I have a Demon lol.

Plus, the wife just rolled her eyes at me when I told her the new pricing hahaha....
When she gave me permission to get one, I only looked up the MSRP lol

·
Registered
975 Posts
After doing more research, it seems the Redeye is a cross between the Hellcat and the Demon.
And at about 75-85k depending on upgrades, certainly seems more of a viable solution.
Those who got one early may see equity value....but I cannot justify it at this point simply to say I have a Demon lol.

Plus, the wife just rolled her eyes at me when I told her the new pricing hahaha....
When she gave me permission to get one, I only looked up the MSRP lol
I hope that wasn't a serious part of your posted comment.

If so you've got a bigger problem than which car to buy, IMO.

I do think your reasoning is spot on though, concerning the Red Eye as a better buy for a "driver" than a Demon with a "mark up" to MSRP that seems pretty excessive at $130,000.

To justify a Demon Purchase over the Red Eye you almost have to want to store it and make the bet that what you have is a Mid 2000s Ford GT situation.

It's long ball bet though. RARE.....really RARE is the new car that can climb substantially in value within 10 years of it's original purchase.

The Demon certainly is the best shot at it in a Modern Challenger but it's still just a very racy version of a very COMMONLY seen affordable car. Can't say that about the Ford GTs from 10+ years ago.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think anyone inconsiderate enough to not discuss a purchase that large with their spouse is the one with problems. Permission may be a bit of a strong word, but I wouldn’t dream of buying ANY new car, much less one that’s $86K without discussing it with my wife and knowing she was also ok with it.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
Vintage mopars have been doing well in terms of going up in value...hopefully they won't follow they same fate as the Beanie Baby Bubble. :smile:

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
586 Posts
I think anyone inconsiderate enough to not discuss a purchase that large with their spouse is the one with problems. Permission may be a bit of a strong word, but I wouldn’t dream of buying ANY new car, much less one that’s $86K without discussing it with my wife and knowing she was also ok with it.
If only it were that simple. Several years ago there was an add in a local paper for a slightly used newest hottest Kawasaki motorcycle with under 1K miles. The add stated bike is in perfect condition, no scratches, never raced, never been on it's side, great bike, I really love it. Reason for selling, apparently I don't understand the meaning of "do WTF you want". Wish I had saved the add because I get a big chuckle every time I think about it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts