Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm paranoid where I park, how I drive, I hate bumpy roads, hate driving people around, hate steep driveways. I worry about my car more than I enjoy it. I've never curbed my wheels or anything, im a really good driver even though I'm still in my teens. Im a porter, I literally park cars in tight spaces all day perfectly, but hate parking my own. I want to be less protective over my car, but to me it's not OK to be less protective of it. It doesn't help that my car makes weird noises all the time too lol. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that it's ok to drive it like a normal car ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yea man well I think there is nothing wrong with being careful, such as parking away from other cars in a lot or not driving aggressively all the time. For 3 and a half years I kept my 392 in near mint condition (short of some normal wear on the rims) I had two small scratches (one kinda deep looking like someone keyed it) and only 18,500 miles on it until my accident. Put it this way I couldn't have been driving more perfectly at the time, weather sunny and dry, no traffic, good tires and brakes even the speed limit was being followed around 45-50 and this did not save me from totaling my car when faced with a 17 year old driver making a left turn at the last moment that can only be described as a death wish. When I get my new 392 in a couple days I will continue to drive it like I have in the past....fast but as safely as possible probably now with full ESC on while leaving shifting on track. But my point is even if you do everything right you still might get jerked off so in my opinion have fun with your car it's insured just try not to do anything where you are liable or more importantly hurt.

·
Premium Member
9,679 Posts
There has been members here who sold the car as they were that protective of it and some just parked it and didn’t take it out very much. Be careful but just enjoy driving it, you’re in your teens and not your last car so don’t get too ocd over it, it’s just a car.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I went as far as having half of it vinyl wrapped to protect the paint from the elements.

Got rewarded with a shitty wrap job and two huge scratches on my doors. Don't sweat it too hard, you'll end up making it worse.

And life has a funny way to shit on your day when you least expect it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Which dealership do you work for?

Go to your finance manager at your dealership and talk to him/her about getting a protection for ding & dent, windshield, tires, and the rims them selves.

Every dealership has this type of protection and its a huge value. Since your so paranoid it might help you if something does happen to your car such as dings, wheel curbage or tire blow out etc.

If not I can provide you with this protection and register it with your car from my dealership.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
:SM130:

Put the money you would spend on "warranties" into a savings account.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome to "the disease."

I too have this same exact way of making my car "precious" and not wanting anything to happen to it. Check my signature...I've sold more than one of them because I was tired of the stress from worrying about them all the time. Where should I park? Should I take it out in the thunderstorm? Dont lean on it too hard! Yelling at the kids when they touch it. The list goes on and on. Usually when I sell one, I go completely the other direction. I get a truck/jeep/bronco etc that is older and I can beat on a bit without worry.

But I always seem to come crawling back...its a disease.

Heres what I can tell you. The first car on my list (2002 Camaro Z28) is probably the one I have the most memories with and always look back on. I bought it at 21 years old brand new and was very protective of it. But it was my daily driver and I had to put it out into all sorts of scenarios.

Here is what I can suggest to do without driving yourself crazy.

- Keep a low comprehensive deductible. Like $100. That way if something does happen, most it will cost you is that.
- Park against curbs. Park far away. Park near other nice cars. I will circle a lot 2-3 times sometimes before settling.
- Park where you can see it if able. Restaurants/work/school/etc. Peach of mind.
- Dont drive close behind other vehicles...ever. If you have to...avoid certain types. Big Rigs, Jeeps, 4x4 trucks, etc.
- If you have the $$$, do one of the 3M Clearbra wraps in the front. Rock chips are a pain.
- Last but not least...enjoy your car. Drive it. Have fun. Make memories. Thats all that really matters.

FYI, all I did for the 10 years I owned my Camaro was watch where I parked and just generally took care of it. In that 10 years it got exactly 2 scratches (self inflicted), 1 tiny ding, and some rock chips. Just drove it man!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
This car will drive you crazy trying to keep it pristine. This is a issue you have to deal with.
I almost drop-kicked my mother-in-law out of the way when she came close with shopping bags in the garage. She stayed about 10 feet away from me all of last Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Stuff is going to happen, sure most of us try to minimize the risks, but your car is not made from gingerbread and sugar cubes.

This happened to mine while it was just sitting at home. It sucked, got fixed, and life went on.

This car is so fun to take on long road trips, I wouldn't consider settling for driving something else when I have this as a choice.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,770 Posts
I feel you, but it's a car in the end. I have never not gone somewhere because of the weather, where to park, etc. Doesn't mean I didn't worry. But it will not stay perfect forever. I'd rather have it, and worry, than not have it. I doubt I'd spend much time at Toyotatalk :)

A Guy

Reactions: Fawls and Klink

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,865 Posts
Yup, when you hand wash the car you will start to notice nicks in the paint from road debris/rocks that are unavoidable. I would get small panic attacks whenever I would park the car at the mall but over the past year it has progressively decreased. I still avoid driving it in the rain and refuse to drive it in the winter (I am fortunate that it is not my daily driver). IMO not driving it causes more pain than worrying about keeping it in perfect condition.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Took home my 2018 TA Saturday night. Went grocery shopping the following Sunday morning. After returning to my car from the store, I find a ding on the passenger door. I always park away from the common area and this careless mofo decide to park his/her car next to mine. Hope that fool gets 2 flat tires and dead battery with an 8 hour tow truck wait

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I feel ya. I have a 09 14,000 miles had the motor out drive trains ect spent over 25,000 on it and I rarely drive it. I spend more time cleaning then driving. Drives me nuts but it is a by product of ocd for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
As much as we enjoy these damn things, yes, it is just a car. Be conscientious, be diligent, but realize things happen and a good PDR guy is worth his weight in gold (I've had no fewer than 5 dings removed with amazing results ;-) ) . Maybe you should just look at it like a Charger with a different body on it..LOL!!

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
447 Posts
I'm paranoid where I park, how I drive, I hate bumpy roads, hate driving people around, hate steep driveways. I worry about my car more than I enjoy it. I've never curbed my wheels or anything, im a really good driver even though I'm still in my teens.
I feel the same way. Everyone is out to ruin your car.

Reactions: RobF

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,865 Posts
Could be worse....could you imagine owning a 1970 hemi cuda convertible...I would have a stroke just thinking about leaving it on the street.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Reading this post, I am glad to see that I am not alone. When I take my car out it is either to go to work, where we have a section in the back for nice cars, we park at least a space away from each other, or to cruise, but rarely will I ever park in other parking lots. I am quite OCD about not just my car, but my camera equipment, my movie theatre, anything that I purchased new. It has to be kept pristine and that does create a lot of stress for me. I don't allow food in my car and usually drive it solo. I don't even open the windows in the car and still have the new car smell. Never drive in the rain or any inclement weather. Years ago when I was younger, I used to by cars that still had the plastic on the seats and my wife would take it off when I wasn't looking. Also, when we brought our first child home from the hospital, I wanted everyone to wear gloves and a facemask. I am really OCD about things and am not in any way limited to the Challenger. OCD is a horrible thing that really keeps me from enjoying life to the fullest.

·
Registered
153 Posts
:SM130:

Put the money you would spend on "warranties" into a savings account.
Well perhaps to you, but think about it this way:

-How much is 1,2,3 or 4 tires to get replaced due to blow out or irreparable puncture?

-How much to repair curbed wheels, or replacement of a rim due to severe damage?

-How much is a windshield replacement?

-How much is to remove dings and dents over 4 years?

-How much is 1 smart key replacement if its lost or broken?

Just because you dont see value doesn't mean you should bash on it. There are programs out there that make sense and have tremendous value and dont even cost that much money.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Well perhaps to you, but think about it this way:

-How much is 1,2,3 or 4 tires to get replaced due to blow out or irreparable puncture?

-How much to repair curbed wheels, or replacement of a rim due to severe damage?

-How much is a windshield replacement?

-How much is to remove dings and dents over 4 years?

-How much is 1 smart key replacement if its lost or broken?

Just because you dont see value doesn't mean you should bash on it. There are programs out there that make sense and have tremendous value and dont even cost that much money.
:boohoo:

What if we're not soccer moms who prioritize our overpriced knock-off designer shoes over their vehicle?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts