Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank for checking this out. I'v had my 2020 Scat Pack Challenger for about 2 months so let me dive into this.

1. I am thinking of voiding my warranty and getting the HPtuners MPVi2 tuner and having Jay Greene tune it. I know that the warranty is important but how often do we use it?

2. I got a a set of NEW JBA long tube headers at a smokin' deal off Craigslist and I would like to know if I can put it on with the stock exhaust? Would there be a down fall and if so how much? Because if i can save money on the exhaust i can get the Hellcat 600cc OEM Fuel Injectors and throttle body!

3. Lastly, is there any performance mods in your opinion that I shouldn't do or not that important? ( like changing the stock exhaust from the cat back)

4. I do enjoy my car very much AS IS but would like to get a more HP out of it and it seams like there are so many options or direction I can go. I don't want to sound like a noob (I already do), but what are the important mods I should do to get gains?

Thanks again for taking the time to read this. If you can answer any of the questions, I would really appreciate it!

Hope I posted this in the correct place!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Thank for checking this out. I'v had my 2020 Scat Pack Challenger for about 2 months so let me dive into this.

1. I am thinking of voiding my warranty and getting the HPtuners MPVi2 tuner and having Jay Greene tune it. I know that the warranty is important but how often do we use it?

2. I got a a set of NEW JBA long tube headers at a smokin' deal off Craigslist and I would like to know if I can put it on with the stock exhaust? Would there be a down fall and if so how much? Because if i can save money on the exhaust i can get the Hellcat 600cc OEM Fuel Injectors and throttle body!

3. Lastly, is there any performance mods in your opinion that I shouldn't do or not that important? ( like changing the stock exhaust from the cat back)

4. I do enjoy my car very much AS IS but would like to get a more HP out of it and it seams like there are so many options or direction I can go. I don't want to sound like a noob (I already do), but what are the important mods I should do to get gains?

Thanks again for taking the time to read this. If you can answer any of the questions, I would really appreciate it!

Have no idea of the percentage of car buyers who end up using the new car warranty. One in ten? That "feels" too high. One in one hundred? That sort of "feels" too low.

But who knows? Well, Dodge I am sure but I am also sure that is company confidential info and Dodge does not release that info.

Mod your new car if you want. Roll the dice the car won't manifest any new car (new engine) issues that would make you regret losing the warranty.

Can't help but mention if the 2020 Scat Pack power level is already not enough and you have had the car just 2 months you probably brought the wrong car. Should have considered a new (or even used) Hellcat or RE.

Based on a number of posts by others who have come before you with these mod questions you are going to void the warranty and with mods turn a very nice car into something not so nice and for a considerable sum of money.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
432 Posts
You wouldn't need 600cc injectors or the throttle body on an N/A setup. I'm not gonna tell u to or not to void your warranty, but long tubes will definitely give you some gains and are a great mod, expect ~20whp. What's the goal with the car, more fun? Track times? Oh and if you wanna keep warranty, some lightweight wheels and stickier tires can go a long way, just make sure the tires are DOT approved so they can't deny a warranty claim on any drivetrain components.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Most engine failures come directly from the tune and people not running the grade of fuel required by the tune.

That's what I have got out of reading a bunch of threads on the subject.

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
423 Posts
Big waste of money was purchasing a warranty on a used 2010 R/T we bought used in 2013 with 11,000 mile. Never used it. The car did go through the timing chain replacement, but that was covered by the recall, including rental car.

·
Registered
14,389 Posts

Depends on your situation and finances. Do you have another car to get to work or is this your only car? Can you be without a car for periods of time if something goes wrong? Can you write a check for 15 grand for a new engine if you blow this one up? If you can deal with all of these then do what you like.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Yes you can install those headers with your stock exhaust.

Did the headers come with mid-pipes?

You will also need to buy an unlocked PCM and get a tune... probably looking at another $700-$800. If you want to stick with 91-93octain gas you can get a little more aggressive tune.

If you have the headers installed in a shop you are looking at $800+. It's not really the best return on investment unless you are going with other mods like cam, supercharger, ported heads etc... the 6.4 are setup with shorty headers from the factory that flow pretty well.

In my opinion a SC with 6lb of boost on the 6.4 id the best ROI... but you need a good tuner because its easy to blow the ringland on the 6.4 with boost.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree with McCloud. Have a 19 Mopar edition. Installed long tube kooks with kooks midpipe. Deleted resonators and muffler, mellow when cruising and screams at WOT. No need for a car back unless you want to say you have a corsa or borla.
Tune will run you more than usual initially due to having to unlock pcm. If your worried about warranty you have two options. One you send your in and they unlock and return, or you basically buy a second unlocked pcm. If you need to go in for work just swap them out. First tune and unlocking pcm ran me 1500 alone plus cost of headers and midpipe and labor. It gets expensive to work on these. However, future tuning will just be dyno tuning charge moving forward.
A lot of people stay away from a cam as they are expensive work with this platform. You have to change lifters, VVT limiter, etc. a cam with the dyno tune will set you back another $5k and possibly only see 20-35hp gain. For a little more you can just go pro charger and gain 150+. All depends on what you want. Personally I understand the true costs and gains and what people say but I am doing cam next regardless of minimal gain because it will set me up for nice overall gains once procharger goes in. All depends on what you want, how you want to go about it, what your budget is, and are you willing to finish the project you have in mind. Best of luck

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
Common misconception but swapping PCMs does not work for warranty, once you swap you get an odometer disagree and it sets a P1400 code in the BCM so they will know immediately. If you want to be sure to keep your warranty, do not touch your PCM.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If your worried about warranty you have two options. One you send your in and they unlock and return, or you basically buy a second unlocked pcm. If you need to go in for work just swap them out.
Absolutely wrong and very misleading on your part. Very shameful of you to do.
Common misconception but swapping PCMs does not work for warranty, once you swap you get an odometer disagree and it sets a P1400 code in the BCM so they will know immediately. If you want to be sure to keep your warranty, do not touch your PCM.
Bingo

·
Registered
27 Posts
My apologies if I offended anyone. To each their own. If what you are saying is true then I guess you can’t modify your car as a tune is required with headers etc. thanks for the shamming bluejazzscat. A simple clarification would have done.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,761 Posts
Also keep in mind, that technically, it would only affect the warranty on the modified parts and what damage/problems they can cause, and technically, the manufacturer has to show that the modification caused the damage before they can deny a claim.
So worse case, PCM, wiring, engine, then maybe transmission and rest of drivetrain could be denied. But say something like A/C entertainment, any interior stuff would be covered no issue.
(I'm not a lawyer...)

·
Registered
649 Posts
and technically, the manufacturer has to show that the modification caused the damage before they can deny a claim.
100% false. The manufacturer doesn't have to prove a thing. They will just refuse to work on your car and then it will be up to you to prove otherwise. And most likely you'll lose in court.

Reactions: stevewhite

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
524 Posts
I'm curious about what the OP has decided to do -- or not do.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
70k miles my AC blew out, $100 for a $1,500 AC job with that new 1234yf freon just food for thought...

OP injectors on your vehicle currently are good for 500+ whp....actually the 5.7 stock ones are good for 500, the 6.4 will take you as far as u want to go until you boost it

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
432 Posts
Cams aren't as expensive as some people make it out to be, and doing the work yourself makes it a LOT cheaper. Lifters do not need to be changed unless it's high mileage, or MDS lifters. Cam prices recently have dropped by about $2-300 across the board. I've seen cam and header 392s making 490-530whp when done correctly. The higher number like 530 are typically also running E85 but 500whp on 93 is still very impressive.
Just don't like seeing everyone say mods are a waste of money when they're not. Like Nitrous, cams, LT headers, etc. Everyone just wants to go straight to boost these days, which I get is "easy" and makes big power, but some people are ok with only getting half the power boost would get them, even if it costs more $/hp.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,761 Posts
100% false. The manufacturer doesn't have to prove a thing. They will just refuse to work on your car and then it will be up to you to prove otherwise. And most likely you'll lose in court.
"
How does it apply to car parts?

According to the Magnuson-Moss Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot automatically cancel your warranty just because you’ve installed aftermarket car parts. This is an illegal practice. That said, if your aftermarket part somehow causes or contributes to a failure in your vehicle, the dealer may be able to deny your warranty claim—as long as they can prove the connection. In these cases, the burden of proof is entirely on the dealership.

"

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
"
How does it apply to car parts?

According to the Magnuson-Moss Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot automatically cancel your warranty just because you’ve installed aftermarket car parts. This is an illegal practice. That said, if your aftermarket part somehow causes or contributes to a failure in your vehicle, the dealer may be able to deny your warranty claim—as long as they can prove the connection. In these cases, the burden of proof is entirely on the dealership.

"
Misleading. They don't need to prove anything at the time of denial and the PCM is the holy grail, you mess with it and they will kill your powertrain warranty if they catch it.

·
Vendor
12,321 Posts
correct, warranty will be declined, and up to you to prove other wise

·
Vendor
12,321 Posts
the age old debate, good luck with that one, don't shoot the messenger, they will decline warranty and you will need to pursue in a court of law, typically will cost more then the repairs would

rule of thumb, don't want any issues, DO NOT MODIFY, STAY STOCK

anything beyond cold air and cat back will affect warranty

nearly anything you do or worth while, will require tuning, longtube headers, large tbi, camshaft, boost,

Luke

ps, customer reached out to me yesterday over instagram, deleted mids, now has a drive ability issue, did not understand now requires custom tune, calibration is now seeing a lean situation causing overfueling and dead spots, poor idling etc

Reactions: trippytro
1 - 20 of 22 Posts