Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm crazy but I was out driving for quite a while, the entire engine bay was heat soaked, yet the throttle body was COLD as ice.. As was the airbox and the intake plenum. I can't see how putting a piece of aluminum under the hood that is going to absorb heat and suck hot under hood air will be good for this engine.

I don't know if any of you have opened your air box yet.. But check this thing out!

There is no "resonator" under the air box, it draws air from the bumper which is sealed off from hot under hood air. Actually you can see the brake cooling duct by looking through the bottom of the airbox.. If anything, I think it would be easy enough to hook up a hose from the brake cooling duct to the bottom side of the airbox.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep I have to say the new setup works, from the airbox to the TB it's a straight shot, the bend is in the plenum, but I'm sure it's fairly smooth inside. The TB being cold to the touch when you couldn't even touch anything else is a good indicator that this setup is getting cold air already. Plastics seal out the heat soak much better too. Honestly all I can see me doing is a drop in K&N and calling it a day.

Now I could see a benefit to something like a shaker hood but with the new plenum, I'm not sure how they are going to pull it off without a tangle of tubing.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
The stock 6.1 airbox works better than 90% of the CAI's as well but no one ever wants to hear that!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Honestly all I can see me doing is a drop in K&N and calling it a day.
I was thinking the same thing. The Henessey unit yielded +5 HP and most of that is probably enhanced filter flow and not because it was pulling colder air. In fact almost any fully open element is going to pull hotter air than the factory intake design. It's a well thought-out piece of kit. I'm betting a K&N filter in the OEM intake will yield about the same power increase and run cooler too.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I have been saying this for weeks. There is no need to put a "CAI" on the new 392!!! Just put in a Mopar blue dry filter or a K&N and be done with it. I like how the new intake air temp sensor is made now too. I havent looked at mine yet and saw this pic. SWEEEET!!!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yep I am thoroughly impressed with Ma Mopar on the intake design! Also impressed with the stock exhaust. I put the car up on ramps and took some photos of the underside..

I can't see me doing anything to the exhaust other than e-cutouts which I know I will lose torque on, but they are more for intimidation factor, I like the stock exhaust note and would just like to "uncork" the engine once in a while. I'm thinking about welding in a set of QTP Oval e-cutouts.

My hat is off to Ma Mopar.. I think they did a lot right!

Another thing I forgot to mention, did anyone check out the fuel rails yet on the 392? You will be IMPRESSED! they are huge stainless tanks, and they even put a heat resistant blanket over the rails to prevent them from soaking up engine heat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yep I am thoroughly impressed with Ma Mopar on the intake design! Also impressed with the stock exhaust. I put the car up on ramps and took some photos of the underside..

I can't see me doing anything to the exhaust other than e-cutouts which I know I will lose torque on, but they are more for intimidation factor, I like the stock exhaust note and would just like to "uncork" the engine once in a while. I'm thinking about welding in a set of QTP Oval e-cutouts.

My hat is off to Ma Mopar.. I think they did a lot right!

Another thing I forgot to mention, did anyone check out the fuel rails yet on the 392? You will be IMPRESSED! they are huge stainless tanks, and they even put a heat resistant blanket over the rails to prevent them from soaking up engine heat.
I agree, I love the stock rumble, but I have been debating whether or not to cut off the stock resonators and go the flowmaster route...but with no suitcase, I just may leave it be along with the air box. The question is -- when will Mopar or K&N actually release an air filter for the 392?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Nice to read some positives about our 392s. As far as a CAI, I was going to get one with my MOPAR bucks buy my dealer said don't bother, it basically already has one. So I got a front strut tower brace instead which just looks damn cool. As for the exhaust. Ive only had the car for 2 weeks now and only about 750 miles on it. I was starting to feel the car was a little quieter than I wanted, so I talked to Frank at Zoomers and he gave me a great deal on a system including install. They will be ready next week and I've been pretty excited about it as I think they sound awesome. That was Wednesday last week...I cleared 500 miles on Thursday and started opening it up a bit more, then today I, my wife and 3 kids did about 70 miles for mothers day brunch and a little cruise on the PCH...the stock sound seems to have woken up a little now that I've had into the upper rpms a bit. Nice growl to them. Once you get above 4300 rpms they really say hello. My kids loved it. I might have jumped on the zoomers a little early. I'm still sure I'll like them, but it's my daily driver so I don't want it to be too rediculous. I think zoomers sound incredible and deep and really bark when you get on it, but hopefully they'll be just deeper and rumblier around town for the most part. I haven't heard the internal cabin volume first hand either, just videos, so fingers crossed there too. I guess worst case is sell 'em and swap back to stock. These are amazing cars. So far mine has been trouble free except for the subwoofer heartbeat (knock on wood).

·
Registered
228 Posts
what can be done about that subwoofer heartbeat??

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Subwoofer heart beat????

My Subwoofer in my home theater develops a heart beat when I turn the microwave on :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
So far there is no cure for the heartbeat I know of.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts