Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, my first question is why you bought a second tach...

Beyond that, your best bet is to call your local dealership and speak with the parts department. If someone here knew they probably would have responded already.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It appears that any "tach adapter" will work, after a little research. I bought it for looks and for the shift light. It looks more like the original muscle with a big tach on the dash, not in the dash.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
A bit more stealth, Raptors dual stage shift light with the light remoted, controller on kick panel. :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I am at the point where I got the MONSTER MOPAR 5" TACH and a MDS TACH ADAPTER (harness) I have a few people helping me research how to get the monster tach to work on a "modern Challenger"... It has something to do with this:
Most modern muscle cars have single ignition coil and the Challenger has 8 ignition coils??? MDS adapter and all tachometers are made to plug into the single ignition coil??? SO, HOW DO I GET IT TO WORK WITH MULTIPLE IGNITION COILS????

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Good luck.

It sounds like you invested some money in your car without doing any research first on how to make it actually work. I wish I could help you - hopefully someone on here will be able to chime in with advice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You cant get a signal from the ignition coil as it fires each coil twice but you can get a readable signal by tapping off an injector. However in some situations the injector doesnt recieve a signal, such as sudden deceleration so the tach may drop out and then come back.

Why the tach, the car has one already, I could see the need for the light but you can run one of thoes without a second tach.
:icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
it's kind of cool to look at 2 tach instead of one, like that you have one for each cylinder banks...bwaaaaaaaaaaa!!

or amuse yourself comparing both reading... tons of fun!

:jawdrop:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I got the tach installed and mounted center dash. It works perfectly! I used a MSD tach adapter and had Hinson Motorsports install it. They did a good job. I do not know how they did it but it works perfectly.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Any pictures of it installed in the car?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts