Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
'20 Hellcat NB
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a member of a few social media Scat Pack/Challenger groups online and the amount of cheap replacement crap people put on our cars is mind boggling.

The latest is someone complaining about the price of OEM replacement rotors and pads all the way around on a front 6 piston car. I get it, they're expensive but there is a reason they're expensive....BECAUSE THEY WORK! I especially love all those giving him advise to buy the $500 full rotor/pad kits available online. I mean come on, $500?! You think that $500 kit is going to be anywhere near as capable as the $3,000 in parts that come stock on a 6 piston car?

I was taught and always believed the two places you don't cheap on maintenance are Tires and Brakes. I honestly believe tires and brakes are the two largest factors in safety behind seatbelts. If either of those items fail at speed, you're in for a world of hurt.

Okay rant over. EVERYONE ENJOY THEIR WEEKEND!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I agree. Never cheap out on something like that. I knew what I was getting myself into when I made the jump from a R/T to the scat. Even though my scat is my daily, I've only put 2900 miles on it in 13 months. I won't have to worry about brakes any time soon. My only real expense is doing the oil changes every 6 months at $100 a pop ( less with a coupon ) to keep the warranty intact.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I agree with you. When I was looking at tires the guys I always deal with kept telling me "we can get some pretty cheap" i asked " do u mean cheap P zeros or a cheap tire?" They ment a cheaper tire. I didn't see the point. If I didn't drive my car & it sat in a garage collecting dust for 90% of the year then yeah. But I drive the hell out of my car & my P zeros do what they need to do when I need to do it. Brakes I fear are coming & I want something that will be as good if not better then stock. Coming in to corners hot & a little Heel toe isn't for cheap brakes. Idk who to go with really & most of what i fined is for 4 pistons not 6.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Billet SXT Plus
100 Posts
I agree, it always makes me laugh when someone who spends 60+k on a car or truck complains that replacement oe parts are to expensive, and wants to put cheap aftermarket parts on it. You can afford the initial purchase price, but you cant afford, or are to cheap to maintain it with oe, or oe equivalent parts?
Ill never understand that...

·
Registered
'20 Hellcat NB
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you. When I was looking at tires the guys I always deal with kept telling me "we can get some pretty cheap" i asked " do u mean cheap P zeros or a cheap tire?" They ment a cheaper tire. I didn't see the point. If I didn't drive my car & it sat in a garage collecting dust for 90% of the year then yeah. But I drive the hell out of my car & my P zeros do what they need to do when I need to do it. Brakes I fear are coming & I want something that will be as good if not better then stock. Coming in to corners hot & a little Heel toe isn't for cheap brakes. Idk who to go with really & most of what i fined is for 4 pistons not 6.

Get some Demon Rotors and track pads....you know so when you're in the neighborhood cold, they make that hellacious braking noise lol.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Some people buy the car for the lifestyle not the performance, sad to say they would be just as happy giving up their 6 pistons for an sxt with 2 pistons

Beats me

I've tried to convince so many people about tires and how you extra $60 now will get them 20 or 30k more miles. But people will always see the value of right now, not then

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Also that's a different wheel set up so I would need those as well. Lol 18's from 20's lol

Some people buy the car for the lifestyle not the performance, sad to say they would be just as happy giving up their 6 pistons for an sxt with 2 pistons

Beats me

I've tried to convince so many people about tires and how you extra $60 now will get them 20 or 30k more miles. But people will always see the value of right now, not then
I can see that buuuut I only got 10k out of my 1st set . That was my bad as well as my 10yr old when we get together & we both become 10 lmao.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I can see that buuuut I only got 10k out of my 1st set . That was my bad as well as my 10yr old when we get together & we both become 10 lmao.

It's all about setup man I'm cranking almost 20k miles outta performance tires with -2 camber .

When my alignment was street friendly I cleared over 30k miles

It all comes down to good companies using good compound.

To each his own haha

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It's all about setup man I'm cranking almost 20k miles outta performance tires with -2 camber .

When my alignment was street friendly I cleared over 30k miles

It all comes down to good companies using good compound.

To each his own haha
O mine was from donuts & burnouts as well as aggressive driving. I still drive the same just with out the donuts & burn outs lol. I have some springs, Alignment bushings and up are adjustable control arms I just haven't put them on yet.

Everything but no time. Lol

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,230 Posts
I agree, it always makes me laugh when someone who spends 60+k on a car or truck complains that replacement oe parts are to expensive, and wants to put cheap aftermarket parts on it. You can afford the initial purchase price, but you cant afford, or are to cheap to maintain it with oe, or oe equivalent parts?
I read of the same belly aching, pissing, moaning, groaning, griping, and complaining over on Cummins Forum and a few other diesel truck sites that discuss RAM / Cummins equipped trucks.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,425 Posts
So I'm a member of a few social media Scat Pack/Challenger groups online and the amount of cheap replacement crap people put on our cars is mind boggling.

The latest is someone complaining about the price of OEM replacement rotors and pads all the way around on a front 6 piston car. I get it, they're expensive but there is a reason they're expensive....BECAUSE THEY WORK! I especially love all those giving him advise to buy the $500 full rotor/pad kits available online. I mean come on, $500?! You think that $500 kit is going to be anywhere near as capable as the $3,000 in parts that come stock on a 6 piston car?

I was taught and always believed the two places you don't cheap on maintenance are Tires and Brakes. I honestly believe tires and brakes are the two largest factors in safety behind seatbelts. If either of those items fail at speed, you're in for a world of hurt.

Okay rant over. EVERYONE ENJOY THEIR WEEKEND!
This is quite common on every car forum I have been on ever since there was an internet. Actually even before when there were BBSs and one used a modem to access the site.

It appears to be more of a problem with the higher end higher performance cars. Guy spends $50K, $75K, $100K or even more for a pretty nice and powerful/high performance car. Said car comes with high performance tires, large brakes -- in some case ceramic / carbon fiber brake rotors and suitable pads. Engine requires some while not exotic oil generally an oil that sell above the price of plain old 5w-30 mineral oil.

Then the fun begins. When tires need replacing it is a race to see who can find and fit the cheapest crap tires.

The super high performance tires that the car came with and which accounted for in no small way the car's extraordinary road manners, performance, now being worn out rather than replace the tires with the same tires other tire solutions are sought out. In some cases tires that would compromise the handling of a kid's toy wagon are selected for a $100K+ car.

Or when the brakes wear out (or in some cases the high performance ceramic/carbon fiber rotors (and pads) are ruined because the driver didn't know how to drive) and new brakes are needed and the $1000/axle or for the more exotic brakes $5000/axle brakes need replacing the search is on for the cheapest crummy brakes available.

At oil change time the owner wants the forum's approval that it is ok to use some cheap oil instead of the more expensive oil the factory calls for. And he'll get it. Along with, as a balance, recommendations for some super duper unicorn tears derived oil that adds 50hp and can go a millenial between oil changes.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
It’s because people have been trained to make payments but not save money. Also why you see people mod a rented car.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
This is a great thread, I totally agree. Too often people don't research the product before buying or bother to understand it. The brake dust and tire life complainers are some of the worst offenders for this.

Imagine what would happen if Dodge sold people a 700 hp 4500 lb monster of a car, equipped with 2 piston calipers and/or pads/rotors that prioritized low dust, low cost and low noise because "That's what people want". The first time somebody did some high speed spirited driving (On a track or otherwise) and needed their brakes to work RIGHT NOW, those pads would disintegrate and the pedal would sink to the floor. Then crash, fires, etc. Then the lawsuits start pouring in.

The argument people have is "Well I don't use my car on a track so why do I need that". Well by that same logic, you don't need a 485 hp, 707 or 797 hp monster V8 either. But you bought one anyway. There is a reason these components go together. Of all the systems in your car, brakes are the LAST thing you should want to cheap out on. If you don't need that capability but you still want a Challenger? Then guess what, you have options that are more practical, such SXTs and some R/Ts.

And then we have the people who are angry that they only got 25,000 km out of a set of high performance summer tires on a heavy, high horsepower car with an aggressive wheel alignment. And somehow that makes those tires "Junk", and proceed to buy some knock off brand all-seasons and claim they're better without any actual testing.

I'll stop my rant now...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
If you don't like dirty wheels, get yourself something with drums all the way around. :)

·
Registered
'20 Hellcat NB
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And then we have the people who are angry that they only got 25,000 km out of a set of high performance summer tires on a heavy, high horsepower car with an aggressive wheel alignment. And somehow that makes those tires "Junk", and proceed to buy some knock off brand all-seasons and claim they're better without any actual testing.

I'll stop my rant now...
The tire thing has two methods of thinking; the way I see it. I understand buying $175 tires instead of $275-400 tires for the rear knowing you're going to toast them in 5k miles(assuming you're a person who loves to do burnouts and spin the tires). However, that $175 tire better have the correct weight and speed rating for our cars and you better be changing them often. I knew going in to this that I would be replacing my rear tires every 10,000 miles or so with $300 Nitto's. I do laugh when people try to tell me how grippy their $175 tire is compared to a high end tire.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,059 Posts
As I mentioned in that thread, you can't post a tapatalk link and have people not on the app see them

And again, I see no connection to this topic?

A Guy

·
Registered
'20 Hellcat NB
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As I mentioned in that thread, you can't post a tapatalk link and have people not on the app see them

And again, I see no connection to this topic?

A Guy
Same.

Guy is asking for suggestions on a quality street tire, not a cheap street tire.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.