Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I signed up for my first ever NASA HPDE. Race for the Pie Road Atlanta

I have (in previous, slower cars) done SCCA autocrossing and drag racing before but have never been on an actual road track. I am very excited! I have been searching and reading various posts but do have questions:

Do i need to change my brake pads? If so, what are the recommended ones i should go with? I plan on flushing my fluid with DOT4 ATE Type 200 either way.

What tire pressure should i run? I currently have 275/40 Atturo 850's and normally run my tire pressure around 34-35 cold.

What is the best data recording program to use? I have a spare cell phone that i may use unless i end up getting a Go Pro or something. I didnt really want to drop $400 on a camera but would live to record the footage so that i can learn from the experience. Any good cheaper cameras out there?

Any other advice, tips, tricks or recommendations are welcome! Also if you have any links to good reading material for learning then drop a link and I will check it out. :eusa_dance:

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
with high performance 200 threadwear tires, you will have a mark on the side, and you want to drop pressures until you start scrubbing that mark, with nitrogen filled, 32psi to start

with the Atturos, which I'm not familiar with, you may want to run much higher, like 38/40 maybe, reason why sidewall will simply roll over, which is bad.....high performance tires like the Potenza's I run, side wall will not roll over, part of the reason why they are so friggin hard to mount

then best advise dont over do it, build up to it

Luke

ps, welcome to your new extremely addicting disease:grin2:

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
any good data acquisition system is stupid expensive, for the time being stay away from it,

if you plan to do this on a regular basis, would invest in a few gopros, i have 4 and im not a big fan, because of the battery life, also a little hard to use

brakes, dot 4 minimum, the 4 piston Brembos will do ok, again depending on future usage, would upgrade front brakes to the 6 piston calipers
Luke

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
brakes and tires are extremely important, chassis stiffness, as you get beyond day 2

strut braces front and rear, subframe connectors, and stay away from the cheap coil overs, for inexpensive suspension mod, stage one springs from Mopar

the list is non ending

Luke

ps, take it slow, slow is fast, dont get carried away, its really easy to screw up

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I study a new track by going on YouTube and seeing if I can find anyone posting vids on that track. Really helps me for some prep. Don't forget the drivers meeting! Make your first few laps with someone along who knows the track and lines if you can.

I have big feet and wanted a pair of driving shoes. Really frustrated looking at all those small offerings for little Italian guys :) I ended up ordering a nice pair of wrestling shoes. Same shoe (as best as I can tell) as long as you don't need fire retardant ones.

I got the TrackAddict App for my iPone. Not very expensive for starters and you can use the phone for vid until you spring for a GoPro or two.

Love the ride-along Luke!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I second the recommendation for Track Addict. Harry's Lap Timer has some advantages once you get multiple cameras and get into it a bit more, but Track Addict is free. You do need a good mount for your phone though if you're going to use it for the camera. I use a Ram mount on the windshield and it works OK, but does move some on bumps.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
2 words
Driver mod
Monitor tire pressure, oil and coolant temps, wheels are torqued to spec, do a good brake bedding before you hit the track, learn the race lines, braking zones, and talk to and listen to the more experienced drivers. Have an instructor ride along if possible. Great idea to watch some of the same track videos as mentioned earlier. IRACING videos online is a good start to learn the basics.
Don’t worry about the car. You won’t be pushing it that hard. It’ll be just fine.
Again, monitor tire pressure so you don’t destroy your tires. Find the proper hot spot. If you don’t know what that is there’s a lot of info on the interwebs. It’s different with most tires. You just have to find that sweet spot for your specific tires.
Most importantly relax and have a blast. It’s very addictive.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What a great track! I did my first DE there too, many moons ago. You'll love turns 11 and 12. Road Atlanta Turns 1 and 10A are hard on brakes . . . might want to consider front brake pads, but you'll probably be OK stock.

I use Harry's Lap Timer with a cheap Iphone- pretty easy to use, but picture quality could be better. Here I'm using it at VIR:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,849 Posts
You were eating them up! :thumbsup:

A Guy

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All of you have provided great info and I really appreciate it! I love the idea about watching YouTube videos of the track beforehand.

I will have an instructor with me and am excited to learn. Thank you again for everyone's advice!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brakes and tires are extremely important, chassis stiffness, as you get beyond day 2

strut braces front and rear, subframe connectors, and stay away from the cheap coil overs, for inexpensive suspension mod, stage one springs from Mopar

the list is non ending

Luke

ps, take it slow, slow is fast, dont get carried away, its really easy to screw up
What pads do you recommend? I have the Mopar stage 1 springs and will probably hold off on any further upgrades (besides brakes and tires) until I get more experience.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just had my first track day yesterday at Arizona Motorsports Park (AMP). My SRT performed great! I learned that the stock Brembo brakes and pads are phenomenal! I tried Powerstops Z26 pads and they fade quick, but not the Brembos. I have Petty sway bars with a firm rear setting and medium front, Speedlogix front strut bar, and 285 Potenza RE71Rs which make the car stick! The car is well balanced now and sticks at high throttle around turns. Slides are controlled and easy to correct. I was able to keep up with a better suited Corvette on the 2.5 mile track, and nobody else could keep up with me including a new Mclaren Lol. Keep in mind I was in the newbie group. It was awesome passing the Miatas and Lotus and AMG Mercedes and Minis on the straights like they were stopped. I hit 121 on the straight. Talked to the Miata and Scion people and they were at 100 max. I hit over 100 on 5 parts of the track. Our cars a beasts! I did get up to 240 temp but after I was able to smooth out my line and throttle, it went down to the 220 range.

Fill up your tank! I went through 5 gallons every 20 minute session and couldn't complete the last one as I was low. Next round I'll either bring 5 gallons, or head to the gas station between sessions. Get a torque wrench from Amazon for $30. I am considering this app for a data logger > RaceChrono ? Laptimer for iPhone and Android

With your tires you'll be sliding around a lot! I'd go to 200 tw asap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts