Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in the Challenger for a long time, and this week they got some in at the dealer ship and me and my brother went out to check them out. Yes i know I'm a teenage and my brother a younger adult but really.. They never once even acknowledged us there as someone interested in the car.

My brother drives a 2011 2SS Camaro and loves it. But he loves the challenger and I'm in LOVE with the car.
So we went in. looked at the only one there that caught my eye which was a 2011 392 IE SRT8. 98/392..
We spent maybe 10-15 minutes looking at the car and comparing the camaro and challenger until my brother decided to actually get someone to talk to us. we all started talking about how I'm going to most likely be getting a challenger in about a year. He still didn't care much.
We still spent a while looking at the car and looking over little things on it. I got to sit in it twice to see how i liked it compared to the camaro, I fell in love with the car AGAIN. first time sitting in a challenger and first time actually going and talking to a dealer.

I love the car. I'm actually in love with it. Cant get it off my mind at all.
Im extremely disappointed in the dealers though. They didn't seem to care or acknowledge us at all. With Ford & Chevy we normally get a lot of dealers coming at us left and right.
So my question is...Should i just take this as the standard for my local dodge dealers? Or is it just more people not getting past this "kid" thing?
it was a really big disappointment to see them as some of those people who don't treat everyone who comes into the store the same...

Again my question is...
Should i just accept this as my standard every time i go to a dodge dealer and just wait, do what i need to involving the car and get it done?(because it never happens at any others.)
Or am i being to critical?

(Sorry about the long post by the way.)

Poison

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Ya it's standard. I'm 23 and have been looking at getting one since Jan. of 09 and I usually got brushed off at dealers. They just figure you have no money and don't wanna waste their time on you.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya it's standard. I'm 23 and have been looking at getting one since Jan. of 09 and I usually got brushed off at dealers. They just figure you have no money and don't wanna waste their time on you.
Thing is...We know it might have been like that. so we started out with my brother saying he had a brand new 2011 2SS Camaro. Which is just as much as the SRT8 almost...

Also...I knew more about the actual car than the dealer. that was awkward too. Showing up the dealer on his own turf.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I wouldn't take it too personal. I've had the same thing happen to me but I was 34. I wanted a Dodge truck, stopped by the Dodge dealership and was looking at one but no one ever came out. I wanted to see the inside. I turned around and saw two or three salesman standing in the window drinking coffee watching me (it was cold and drizzly rain).

Pissed me off so I went just down the street, bought a new Chevrolet pickup and drove back to the Dodge place, rolled the window down, held the dealer tag out the window, shrugged my shoulders and drove off.

There is a mentality at some dealerships that they are doing you a huge favor to sell you something. Move on to one that will treat you with some respect.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't take it too personal. I've had the same thing happen to me but I was 34. I wanted a Dodge truck, stopped by the Dodge dealership and was looking at one but no one ever came out. I wanted to see the inside. I turned around and saw two or three salesman standing in the window drinking coffee watching me (it was cold and drizzly rain).

Pissed me off so I went just down the street, bought a new Chevrolet pickup and drove back to the Dodge place, rolled the window down, held the dealer tag out the window, shrugged my shoulders and drove off.

There is a mentality at some dealerships that they are doing you a huge favor to sell you something. Move on to one that will treat you with some respect.
Oh wow. WAY TO GO DODGE. -.-
i would but i love the challenger too much.. although i'm still stuck between the camaro & challenger. challenger is winning but service sucks...

·
Registered
62 Posts
man you need to report those kinds of dealerships the one am buying mine from has been top notch even when my original financing plan fell through they said just give us a couple of days and they got it done these other idiots do not represent all dodge dealers they are more in the minority I hope and need to be weeded out by reporting them to Chrysler

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
man you need to report those kinds of dealerships the one am buying mine from has been top notch even when my original financing plan fell through they said just give us a couple of days and they got it done these other idiots do not represent all dodge dealers they are more in the minority I hope and need to be weeded out by reporting them to Chrysler
I would, sadly i don't know how. D:

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
OK, put the shoe on the other foot for a second. You being the dealer, you have 2 very young teenagers walk into your store. More times than not you will look at this encounter as "here's a couple of kids who just want to take the car out and mash the gas pedal". I know I would. The perception is most teenagers don't have the funds or credit history to be able to afford this car. That may not be the case with you, but more times than not that is the case. These cars attract a lot of attention and dealers have to be cautious. I'm not defending them, I'm saying they're cautious. Now, if after talking to you for a bit as you said, they still brush you off, I may have a problem with that. For me, when I went into the dealer when I was looking for my HO 6sp, the first thing I looked at was the odo. This is a good indicator of joy riding test drives. I can tell you this, anything more than a half dozen miles or so and I would have to say good night. Fortunately for me, my car was a special order with 2 miles on it so I was very happy. Would you buy IE 392 or a SRT8 with 30 miles on it? I don't think so! Personally, I would rather the guys at the dealer leave me alone to look at cars myself. These cars don't need a salesman, they need a garage. I find it annoying when they start pressing and giving you the sales pitches.
Enough ramblin.. :bigmouth:

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Honestly put things into perspective... How many 20 years old's can afford a Challenger SRT8? Mine stickered at nearly 49 grand. Sales Slugs work off commission, the more they sell the more they make.. And yes, sadly they profile and stereotype, but it puts food on their plate so, sometimes they won't give you the time of day.

I remember back to when I bought my first new Vette, that was in early 2000 it was a brand new Millennium Yellow Z51 6 Speed Coupe, 50K sticker. I went in in jeans and a T-Shirt and was checking the car out, because my friend (the manager) called me and told me to stop in and check it out..

So I did.. And over comes this 19 year old sales slug... "Nice car ain't it" he says.. to which I replied "Yeah it is, I think I'm going to take it home tonight" he laughed at me... I said "Do you know Eddie?" he says "yeah why????" At that point I said go get him... Ed came out and we did the deal and the kid got NADDA :) I was 26 at the time.... That was my fourth Vette.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, put the shoe on the other foot for a second. You being the dealer, you have 2 very young teenagers walk into your store. More times than not you will look at this encounter as "here's a couple of kids who just want to take the car out and mash the gas pedal". I know I would. The perception is most teenagers don't have the funds or credit history to be able to afford this car. That may not be the case with you, but more times than not that is the case. These cars attract a lot of attention and dealers have to be cautious. I'm not defending them, I'm saying they're cautious. Now, if after talking to you for a bit as you said, they still brush you off, I may have a problem with that. For me, when I went into the dealer when I was looking for my HO 6sp, the first thing I looked at was the odo. This is a good indicator of joy riding test drives. I can tell you this, anything more than a half dozen miles or so and I would have to say good night. Fortunately for me, my car was a special order with 2 miles on it so I was very happy. Would you buy IE 392 or a SRT8 with 30 miles on it? I don't think so! Personally, I would rather the guys at the dealer leave me alone to look at cars myself. These cars don't need a salesman, they need a garage. I find it annoying when they start pressing and giving you the sales pitches.

i understand them not talking to us at first. But we instantly went right to it, talked about it for 15-20 minutes. talked to the dealer another 15-20 minutes about my brothers car and me telling the dealer things about the cars he didn't know and they still just brushed us off but not before randomly leaving and locking the car... i understand the locking of the car but still. was very dissapointed.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Was you in a position to sign paperwork? was your brother?

I don't see what the big deal is.. Time is Money for commission based sales staff. You had no intentions of making a purchase and it's not likely that your brother is if he just bought a new Maro... So I can't fault them.. Sure it ticks you off.. I've been there... Ticks me off even more when I have cash in hand.. I've walked out of a LOT of places in my time!

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly put things into perspective... How many 20 years old's can afford a Challenger SRT8? Mine stickered at nearly 49 grand. Sales Slugs work off commission, the more they sell the more they make.. And yes, sadly they profile and stereotype, but it puts food on their plate so, sometimes they won't give you the time of day.

I remember back to when I bought my first new Vette, that was in early 2000 it was a brand new Millennium Yellow Z51 6 Speed Coupe, 50K sticker. I went in in jeans and a T-Shirt and was checking the car out, because my friend (the manager) called me and told me to stop in and check it out..

So I did.. And over comes this 19 year old sales slug... "Nice car ain't it" he says.. to which I replied "Yeah it is, I think I'm going to take it home tonight" he laughed at me... I said "Do you know Eddie?" he says "yeah why????" At that point I said go get him... Ed came out and we did the deal and the kid got NADDA :) I was 26 at the time.... That was my fourth Vette.

Yea. i understand the stereotyping. but still.. dealers should be taught that if someone comes in looking at a car they should at least give the person a little bit of a chance.
Sad thing is we even said i was interested in getting a challenger and he still brushed us off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I sort of agree. Its difficult for the dealer to see the value in a test drive for a person who says they will buy in a year. I personally wouldn't buy a car with more than 100 miles on it without a decent discount. I test drove an SRT8 recently and respectfully offered to take out an R/T instead or let a sales person do all the driving. I really just wanted to feel the ride before I said 'this is it for me'. They turned around and backed the IE out of the show room and let me drive it off the lot with the ass still hanging in the front doors.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was you in a position to sign paperwork? was your brother?

I don't see what the big deal is.. Time is Money for commission based sales staff. You had no intentions of making a purchase and it's not likely that your brother is if he just bought a new Maro... So I can't fault them.. Sure it ticks you off.. I've been there... Ticks me off even more when I have cash in hand.. I've walked out of a LOT of places in my time!
No we didn't plan on signing paperwork right there.
i understood them ignoring us at first, but once we sought them out, told them i was interested in getting a challenger soon and still made it very clear we weren't just two kids just there to touch it. they still blew us off.
We are both use to people treating us "kids" like we are paint on the wall but thats why we went in with a plan to make things very clear.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I didn't have any issues purchasing mine and I found mine on the internet :)

What a sales person doesn't want to hear is "I am planning on buying one of these in a few years" they want to hear "I want to take this car home today" again, they survive on commission. They simply don't have time to just shoot the breeze.... Ever wonder why they are so driven to make a sale? No sale, no dinner, no sale, no pay the mortgage.. You need to understand that's how it works, you should maybe apply for a job as a sales person and see how it works and who knows, maybe if you are driven enough you may have that new SRT8 a lot sooner than you anticipate! Good sales people can rake in some big dollars!

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sort of agree. Its difficult for the dealer to see the value in a test drive for a person who says they will buy in a year. I personally wouldn't buy a car with more than 100 miles on it without a decent discount. I test drove an SRT8 recently and respectfully offered to take out an R/T instead or let a sales person do all the driving. I really just wanted to feel the ride before I said 'this is it for me'. They turned around and backed the IE out of the show room and let me drive it off the lot with the ass still hanging in the front doors.
Thats awesome. But we both had no intention of taking it out on a test drive.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Also understand it's not even an age thing in this case.. As soon as you make a statement like "I plan on purchasing one of these in the future" you have lost their attention, doesn't matter if you are 19, 29, 49... They need to make that sale..

I couldn't do the car sales gig.. A friend of mine is very good at it.. He's on his dang cell phone 9PM calling people up... But he does pretty well for himself!

The other thing that will help you more than you can imagine (unless you are paying cash) is that FICO score... Work on your credit history, build it up over time, always make payments early or on time.. Minimize your Debt to Income ratio... One thing my Daddy always beat into me... Credit can take you places, just be cautious and responsible with it.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't have any issues purchasing mine and I found mine on the internet :)

What a sales person doesn't want to hear is "I am planning on buying one of these in a few years" they want to hear "I want to take this car home today" again, they survive on commission. They simply don't have time to just shoot the breeze.... Ever wonder why they are so driven to make a sale? No sale, no dinner, no sale, no pay the mortgage.. You need to understand that's how it works, you should maybe apply for a job as a sales person and see how it works and who knows, maybe if you are driven enough you may have that new SRT8 a lot sooner than you anticipate! Good sales people can rake in some big dollars!

true that. all very true points. i'm sure i could work it out very well too considering everyone seems to like me XD
i do understand all of what you said though lol. Im not a complete kid ;D

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also understand it's not even an age thing in this case.. As soon as you make a statement like "I plan on purchasing one of these in the future" you have lost their attention, doesn't matter if you are 19, 29, 49... They need to make that sale..

I couldn't do the car sales gig.. A friend of mine is very good at it.. He's on his dang cell phone 9PM calling people up... But he does pretty well for himself!

The other thing that will help you more than you can imagine (unless you are paying cash) is that FICO score... Work on your credit history, build it up over time, always make payments early or on time.. Minimize your Debt to Income ratio... One thing my Daddy always beat into me... Credit can take you places, just be cautious and responsible with it.
Yea. sad thing is i didn't say anything about me wanting it in about a year or two until near when we left. after he came back after ditching us.
lol

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

reading back on my original post i saw how it seemed like thats what i opened with. me wanting one in a year.. its was actually near the end that i said when i was interested in getting one.. My bad xD

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.