Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I just want an answer without spending 5 hours reading. I would like to know (cost is not a factor at all) what modification I should do to my 2017 392 Scat Pack exhaust that would produce a "better" exhaust note (deeper at idle / louder) WITHOUT any drone and without making the noise in the cabin "dramatically" louder. Basically SLIGHTLY BETTER / LOUDER THAN STOCK.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't want ANY drone...then don't get rid of the resonators or get a cat back system that does not use a j-pipe type resonator.
Which one would you recommend? I'm not looking to make a big noticable difference just "refine" the existing car's sound. Just a little more base at idle and perhaps a little more sound but keeping the cabin reletively "stock" during regular driving. Or am I asking too much?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,561 Posts
Well I am biased towards corsa extreme because I have the setup on my 5.7. It produces no drone but most are not happy with exhaust volume. I wasn't which is why I deleted the mid mufflers that came with the kit. Doing so made the are too raspy...until I upgraded my manifolds to long tube headers. This is what the exhaust sounds like pre headers.

https://vimeo.com/235091331

This is a comparison (in a garage with door open as temps were below zero) of without and with headers...subtle but the headers make it sound more beastly IMO. Again this is all for a 5.7. The 6.4 already come with shorties and better exhaust than the 5.7.

https://vimeo.com/249550740

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I am biased towards corsa extreme because I have the setup on my 5.7. It produces no drone but most are not happy with exhaust volume. I wasn't which is why I deleted the mid mufflers that came with the kit. Doing so made the are too raspy...until I upgraded my manifolds to long tube headers. This is what the exhaust sounds like pre headers.

https://vimeo.com/235091331

This is a comparison (in a garage with door open as temps were below zero) of without and with headers...subtle but the headers make it sound more beastly IMO. Again this is all for a 5.7. The 6.4 already come with shorties and better exhaust than the 5.7.

https://vimeo.com/249550740
A lot of people locally have recommended the Corsa Sport. My car is a 2017 392 Shaker automatic transmission - and everyone says it's better sound without drone.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,561 Posts
The stock active exhaust on the 6.4 is hard to improve upon.

I would agree. During the summer I ran into a few 392 challengers and was surprised to find out their exhaust was factory.

This vid compares the 2015 hellcat, SP and RT exhaust. The RT is weak!!

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
The Dynomax 24250 race bullet mufflers are a common choice as well. Seems like most people replace the mufflers under the car with these and leave the resonators alone.

Here is a random internet video for sound:

https://youtu.be/nppAR3Wq-yo

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts
I agree with the Dynomax above, keep the resonators

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,704 Posts
I'd recommend you call Steve at Solo about his Street/Race setup.

I wanted the same thing that you did and heard the Solo on You Tube (actually on Steve's Hellcat) and thought that I'd give it a try. I'm glad that I did because there are several factors that make this the best bang for the buck exhaust out there.

1) It's 304 Stainless Steel that is mandrel bent (smooth bends with no kinks).
2) It fits fantastic without any extra work to fit it onto our cars.
3) It's got J-Pipes and Does Not drone at all (even when going into MDS/4 cylinder mode, which even the stock exhaust had some drone. This actually has less than OEM).
4) You Will Not find a better exhaust for the money (the mid mufflers is cheaper, but not better in my opinion).
5) Free Shipping too, not too mention that Solo has some of the Best customer service around.

Last, but not least, the sound of it...............It's Crazy because at idle/startup, it's pretty loud and then settles down. While driving around, you can easily hold a conversation inside the car unless you go to WOT, then things wake up! I've said before that the exhaust sounds like a cross between a Stock SRT/Hellcat exhaust (more volume and bass) and a Winston Cup car with a little bit of exotic thrown in!

The other thing is that the exhaust flows so well, that it's like Rice Krispies when you get off of the gas (Snaps, Crackles and Pops :D). I think that it's like the OEM SRT/Hellcat exhaust on steroids!

In closing, I have no affiliation with Solo, other than being a Happy, Satisfied customer!

Good luck with your choice. It's not an easy one because there are some good sounding ones out there! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I'd recommend you call Steve at Solo about his Street/Race setup.

I wanted the same thing that you did and heard the Solo on You Tube (actually on Steve's Hellcat) and thought that I'd give it a try. I'm glad that I did because there are several factors that make this the best bang for the buck exhaust out there.

1) It's 304 Stainless Steel that is mandrel bent (smooth bends with no kinks).
2) It fits fantastic without any extra work to fit it onto our cars.
3) It's got J-Pipes and Does Not drone at all (even when going into MDS/4 cylinder mode, which even the stock exhaust had some drone. This actually has less than OEM).
4) You Will Not find a better exhaust for the money (the mid mufflers is cheaper, but not better in my opinion).
5) Free Shipping too, not too mention that Solo has some of the Best customer service around.

Last, but not least, the sound of it...............It's Crazy because at idle/startup, it's pretty loud and then settles down. While driving around, you can easily hold a conversation inside the car unless you go to WOT, then things wake up! I've said before that the exhaust sounds like a cross between a Stock SRT/Hellcat exhaust (more volume and bass) and a Winston Cup car with a little bit of exotic thrown in!

The other thing is that the exhaust flows so well, that it's like Rice Krispies when you get off of the gas (Snaps, Crackles and Pops :D). I think that it's like the OEM SRT/Hellcat exhaust on steroids!

In closing, I have no affiliation with Solo, other than being a Happy, Satisfied customer!

Good luck with your choice. It's not an easy one because there are some good sounding ones out there! :cheers:
Hi Freddy,

Just wondering if you went the MidMuffler Delete route first before Solo?

I picked up my SPS last week and I love the sound. Not sure how much louder the MidMuffler delete is and if it's possible to hold a conversation while driving.

I've been running Solo's on my SXT but it still doesn't quite compare to my stock SPS (yes, I know 6 vs 8).

·
Registered
716 Posts
Here's a video of the Solo on a Scat

Here it is on a 5.7

Sounds like this is what your looking for - and no reported drone. Good luck!

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,704 Posts
Hi Freddy,

Just wondering if you went the MidMuffler Delete route first before Solo?

I picked up my SPS last week and I love the sound. Not sure how much louder the MidMuffler delete is and if it's possible to hold a conversation while driving.

I've been running Solo's on my SXT but it still doesn't quite compare to my stock SPS (yes, I know 6 vs 8).
Hi DeSimoni. Congratulations on your new SPS! It's one heck of an automobile!

No, I didn't. I jumped straight into the deep end of the pool. To be honest, I didn't think about the mid muffler delete because when we picked up Ruby, that experiment was just beginning and I had my heart set on a Solo because I heard it on a Hellcat and it Roared (pardon the pun)!

From the Challenger's that I've heard, the mid muffler delete sounds darned good, especially for what it costs. You can't beat it for bang for your buck, but I wanted to install quad 4" tips on the back of Ruby and that made my decision easier too because it would take more fab work to install the tips and keep the resonators and I didn't want to Frankenstein the factory exhaust just in case I wanted to go back to stock someday.

When I first start her up, she barks (yes, even louder than stock) and mellows out as you drive around. A conversation can easily be held inside, at normal volume, unless you're at WOT and then it take more volume to talk, but it's that way stock too.

I hope that this helps and if you have any more questions, Please don't hesitate to ask. :cheers:

Here's a video of her at startup. Believe me, it doesn't do her justice because she is Loud, but mellows out quite a bit as things warm up. By the way, Sorry for the blurry video. I just got my cell phone and was just learning how to use it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10PHWaskBjeqF0Og3V-g2bCcr_pGq0RYa/view?usp=sharing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts