Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going 100--120 mph the car seems to wander"float" on the road..my car only has 140 miles "new r/t .I'm not very happy ,can anything be done to help this?

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Is your RT not STP?

Either way, beefier sway bars and strut braces will tighten it up. Lowering it will help.

·
Registered
398 Posts
So, if you're driving it at 100-120, and only have 140 miles on it, you've driven it, what, an hour and a half?:rofl:

·
Registered
472 Posts
going 100--120 mph the car seems to wander"float" on the road..my car only has 140 miles "new r/t .I'm not very happy ,can anything be done to help this?
If you haven't already permanently damaged the differential, you will if you operate the car like this for the first 500 miles or so. Your new ring and pinion requires a light break-in period to establish their mesh patterns, which is briefly covered on pages 96-97 of your owner's manual. During this break-in period, the temperatures in the differential can be very high, which is why Dodge (and virtually every manufacturer of RWD cars and ring and pinions) recommends speeds not to exceed 55 mph and strictly prohibit towing during this period. While the engine is virtually broken in from the factory, and can handle the stress right from the start, the only break-in the differential received was the final assembly roller test of which only lasted a few minutes. Keep the speed down, allow the differential to cool between runs, and do not operate at a constant speed during these 500 miles. Hopefully there isn't any damage. If you start hearing gear whine, your ring and pinion will require replacement.

Also keep in mind, this isn't the most aerodynamic car out there. The float you are referring to usually occurs on cars without some form of fender air extractors to release the underhood air pressure. Lowering the vehicle will help some by reducing underbody air. I really hope you aren't doing this on roads with other traffic. We all like to have fun in our Challengers, but it should be done smartly.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
One way to fix it is drive slower. Oui

Reactions: docholiday

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Your post validates why I order my cars vice purchase from the dealer lot....

If you haven't already permanently damaged the differential, you will if you operate the car like this for the first 500 miles or so. Your new ring and pinion requires a light break-in period to establish their mesh patterns, which is briefly covered on pages 96-97 of your owner's manual. During this break-in period, the temperatures in the differential can be very high, which is why Dodge (and virtually every manufacturer of RWD cars and ring and pinions) recommends speeds not to exceed 55 mph and strictly prohibit towing during this period. While the engine is virtually broken in from the factory, and can handle the stress right from the start, the only break-in the differential received was the final assembly roller test of which only lasted a few minutes. Keep the speed down, allow the differential to cool between runs, and do not operate at a constant speed during these 500 miles. Hopefully there isn't any damage. If you start hearing gear whine, your ring and pinion will require replacement.

Also keep in mind, this isn't the most aerodynamic car out there. The float you are referring to usually occurs on cars without some form of fender air extractors to release the underhood air pressure. Lowering the vehicle will help some by reducing underbody air. I really hope you aren't doing this on roads with other traffic. We all like to have fun in our Challengers, but it should be done smartly.
I'm sure most of us have test driven cars from the dealer lot. I've always exceeded any manufacturer recommended speeds. Actually, I thrash the cars within the limits of the test drive area. I seriously doubt any new car hasn't been thrashed. My 14' SRT had 11 miles on it. I'm sure some dude loading cars on the transport trains thrashed mine.

·
Registered
627 Posts
11 miles you beter drive that thing it's gonna go bad sitting there

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
I'm sure most of us have test driven cars from the dealer lot. I've always exceeded any manufacturer recommended speeds. Actually, I thrash the cars within the limits of the test drive area. I seriously doubt any new car hasn't been thrashed. My 14' SRT has 11 miles on it. I'm sure some dude loading cars on the transport trains thrashed mine.

And that means?????? So you state your; "sure some dude thrashed your car being loaded onto a train" so you always "thrash cars when test driven around the dealer and actually exceed the manufacturer speeds". Why? That's kind of immature, no?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Shaker14

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Phantim372 hit the nail on the head. The break in is for rear diff. I don't think they even hit in seating rings anymore. I bet this dude, the OP, blows his rear up in a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
No I disagree...

And that means?????? So you state your; "sure some dude thrashed your car being loaded onto a train" so you always "thrash cars when test driven around the dealer and actually exceed the manufacturer speeds". Why? That's kind of immature, no?

These cars are tanks. They will not break because someone didn't "baby them." No way will I buy a $40K car without seeing how it accelerates...corners...or stops. I believe it a mature trait to know what you will commit 5 years of big $$$ to. As for being immature, I resemble that. Keeps me young and sharp.

Reactions: Locko

·
Registered
627 Posts
He'll no that's not immature we are boys that what we do duhhhhhhhhhhh :badrazz:

Reactions: Locko

·
Registered
472 Posts
Beating on the car in very short spurts when new isn't necessarily going to cause major damage, even to the ring gear. It's steady-state high speeds during the first 500 miles that will cause the differential to overheat, thus causing grave damage to the ring and pinion assembly (and possibly the bearings, races, and seals). Running slightly in excess of the recommended 50-55 mph may not cause immediate damage, but running 100-120 mph will. It would be wise of the OP to curb his spirited driving style until the vehicle is properly broken in to prevent any further damage.

I've only been on this particular forum for a short time, but one trend I have noticed is the lack of owner's manual study. The manufacturer (and their lawyers) invested great time and expense to provide the owner/operator with important information about their vehicle. There have been many questions, comments, and actions discussed/mentioned on this forum that would not have taken place had the individual read the owner's manual. Dodge posts their manuals on their website for download. I would highly encourage everyone to read their manual throughout before taking delivery of their vehicle, or shortly thereafter. Most of us have been driving for decades, however cars have changed, and you should educate yourself about your expensive investment before you cause damage like the OP.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
^^^ YES ^^^
I've worked in dealerships for 30+ years, and I am constantly amazed by some of the most basic questions that get asked, and the answer is right there in their glove box.
Seems nobody knows what RTFM means any more...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I don't remember my r/t feeling "floaty" until above 135mph.
It could be I just have a different perception floatyness . I presume the
Tires are all inflated to the correct pressures. Any s/s of an aliegnment issue
Everything tight?

·
Registered
530 Posts
^^^ YES ^^^
I've worked in dealerships for 30+ years, and I am constantly amazed by some of the most basic questions that get asked, and the answer is right there in their glove box.
Seems nobody knows what RTFM means any more...
"read the friendly manual"right ? I work in IT I know the term too well

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I have the STP option, I cant say I have experienced any float. 100-120 is smooth as butter... up to 140... no issues other than the corner of the hood seemed to lift... Nice flat highway, no wind...

·
Registered
153 Posts
The dealer installed a Mopar stage 2 lowering kit on mine before I drove it anywhere, so I've experienced bump steer, but not float.

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
537 Posts
Just a personal observation here but all machinery requires a break in period. While this is going on, reduced stress is optimal. You can choose to ignore the manufacturers advice if you wish but you do so at the potential detriment of long term reliability. It does not matter how much one pays for the machinery, when new, the parts require time to seat and wear together, that is just a fact.

I hope the high speed the OP was speaking about was on a track, to do this on public roads is dangerous for everyone not to mention the price of a ticket one may get for reckless driving though the price of the ticket is nothing compared to killing someone or spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts