Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for almost a year for the right exhaust system for my Challenger. I'd almost gotten to the point where I was going to keep the stock exhaust, because I was so afraid of drone. I had drone on my GT500 and hated it. Didn't want to go down that road again. But all the positive reviews of the Solo Performance exhaust got me off the fence, and I ordered a system. Took the car into the dealer today (I've got a great dealer) and they installed it. The tech let me look under the car when he was finished, and it looks very nicely done. It looks like OEM fit and finish.

In a word... it's PERFECT. It has just the right sound, nice and throaty but not obnoxious. At cruising speed there is NO drone, and the noise level in the cabin is slightly louder than stock, but not so much so that you can't hold a conversation. At 3/4 throttle, it sounds great. Again, nice and throaty, but not obnoxious. I nailed it going between buildings on each side of the street, and at full throttle it has that Hemi crackle and a good, throaty roar. It's a very controlled, deep sound, not cheap sounding or popping.

The butt dyno says I lost that corked up feeling and may have picked up a few horses. Definitely picked up some driveability. All in all, I'm a VERY happy camper!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I was hoping you'd post something about your new exhaust Jon. I'm in the same boat as you were. After reading many of the exhaust threads, I came to the conclusion that it was best to stay stock. I really don't want any headaches if you know what I mean. I'm on the group buy list and waiting for the RT auto exhaust to get perfected. If people are well satisfied with the end product, I'm buying it.

I was interested that you gave an opinion on your butt dyno. We all heard that the stock exhaust is very restrictive and an exhaust change would let the engine breathe much better. Sounds like this is what you are experiencing.

One question though. Cruising in your neighborhood how is the sound outside the car? I know you just got it installed but maybe you could give an opinion.

Thanks for posting your impressions.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made a pass thru the neighborhood this morning. This afternoon, I talked to 2 of my neighbors, both retired guys, and they both mentioned that they heard me "rumble" by and that the Challenger sounded really good. I think Solo has mastered the perfect combination of tone, sound level, and sound quality with this system.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
The "slightly louder than stock" sound has me skeptical on spending $800. It sounds like this would be the type of exhaust one would want if they don't want to be heard too much with normal driving, but only if you give it a lot of throttle you hear the exhaust, which I'm sure sounds good.

I am looking for something that sounds considerably louder and more pronounced during normal driving.

Glad you enjoy your exhaust thought! Sadly keep going back and forth. I'm between Flowmaster American Thunder and MBRP.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Don't do it go solo Omaharumble. You won't be disappointed
I wish there was someone in Omaha so I could hear what it sounds like. Sounds clips just don't do any exhaust justice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts