Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Mustang guy from way back in high school (1977) but this new wave of Chrysler muscle cars has me tempted to jump ship. I drive a 02 Mustang GT which I race on a regular basis locally and around the country. My wife's car is a 04 Crossfire, sort of a Chrysler until you open the hood and everything is in German. I liked the Magnum and Charger but this Challenger is a knockout!
I was planning on getting a Shelby in a couple of years but that may have changed. They got this one right IMO. Nice site you guy's have here, I will be dropping by to keep up on things.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The Challenger is a sweet, clean, taut, muscular, mean looking car. You could do a lot worse. The Mustang looks good too, but it just seems a little soft in the details or something. With the Challenger, you get the gorgeous looks, the Hemi and the IRS.

Welcome home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jimbo said:
The Challenger is a sweet, clean, taut, muscular, mean looking car. You could do a lot worse. The Mustang looks good too, but it just seems a little soft in the details or something. With the Challenger, you get the gorgeous looks, the Hemi and the IRS.

Welcome home.
I agree with you, the Mustang looks great with some aftermarket changes but is a little soft from the factory. I think it's because they are going to produce a Mach and a Boss and or Bullitt version and they wanted to leave room within the line. The GT is really the economy version of the v8 line both in terms of looks and power. The Challenger looks pretty bad ass right from the factory although I'm not a big fan of IRS simply because I drag race and it's not really suited for that application. For the average driver the IRS is great, better ride and handling.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Trublu02 said:
I agree with you, the Mustang looks great with some aftermarket changes but is a little soft from the factory. I think it's because they are going to produce a Mach and a Boss and or Bullitt version and they wanted to leave room within the line. The GT is really the economy version of the v8 line both in terms of looks and power. The Challenger looks pretty bad ass right from the factory although I'm not a big fan of IRS simply because I drag race and it's not really suited for that application. For the average driver the IRS is great, better ride and handling.
If I was going to get any kind of mustang and use it for racing,for me the only one that comes to mind would be the new Shelby Mustang GT-500,with a solid rear axle for easy access for gear changes and over 475 hp and 475 ft lbs of torque,I would say that would answer your overall racing needs. Personnally I like the new Hemi challenger,as I have seen it in person,and I'm hoping that the srt-8 version will have the 500++hp 6.4L (392) Hemi in it. It should be very good competition for the Shelby.Can't lose with either one though.;) :cool:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Trublu02 said:
I'm a Mustang guy from way back in high school (1977) but this new wave of Chrysler muscle cars has me tempted to jump ship. I drive a 02 Mustang GT which I race on a regular basis locally and around the country. My wife's car is a 04 Crossfire, sort of a Chrysler until you open the hood and everything is in German. I liked the Magnum and Charger but this Challenger is a knockout!
I was planning on getting a Shelby in a couple of years but that may have changed. They got this one right IMO. Nice site you guy's have here, I will be dropping by to keep up on things.
Trublu- I used to buy new cars every three years. Cruisers, because I did a lot of driving at one time. Always bought GM and then I got a bad one in the 80's. Switched to Ford, which I had good luck with the two I owned.

It was time to purchase a new car and there was nothing to keep me with Ford and I certainly wasn't going back to GM. So, I bought a Chrysler.

Now, there was a time when I wouldn't even consider owning a Chrysler product. Chrysler????....who owns those things. YUCK! Yea, that was me.

Man was I surprised. This Chrysler product was REALLY nice. What was I thinking all these years to not even look at Chrysler's products. I now look at some of their old designs and realize that I missed out on some beautiful autos.

I now drive a 12 year old Chrysler, which I'm gonna keep. Why? I guess I'm emotionally attached to it. And besides, I was waiting for a RWD car with a V-8. When Chrysler came out with the LX cars, I knew my wait wouldn't be too much longer.

There were rumors that Chrysler was working on a Challenger, but really no concrete info. I planned on ordering a Charger this month for delivery this spring. Then the spy pics hit the net in November, and that was the beginnig of the end of my wait.

I'd speculate that many if not most of the people on this forum aren't life-long Chrysler owners. I'm sure not. As long as Chrysler keeps coming out with cars that excite passion, I can't see ever changing brands.

I tell my wife that there is just 'something about driving a Chrysler.' I can't put my finger on it, but it's definitely there. If you come over to the dark side, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Count me in. I am a long time GM fan. I have owned the rarest of muscle cars, 3 1969 396/375hp Camaro pace cars, a LS6 Chevelle, many 440 Mopars. I don't like the new Camaro at all. Dodge did it correct with this new Challenger. I own a 72 454 Vette conv now, that's my baby there will be no more toys as I also have 3 kids. BUT! I would sell the vette in a Chevy heartbeat to own the new Challenger. Only one thing, it has to be a conv, sorry. As a GM guy, whats my all time favorite car? The 69 Charger R/T. Did I buy a new one? NO!, Chargers never came 4 doors. You'll know you did it right when like in 1968 The new Charger had sold 305% more than the 67 fastback year. GREAT job Dodge, great site. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm a Mustang ('03 Mach 1) guy too but starting to feel the same way. I mean I love my car but this new Challenger seems to be the truest to all the muscle cars of yesteryear (is that a word?). I was dissappointed with the new Charger but I like this one a lot more then the current '05+ Stangs, not to mention it's got the power to back up the looks.

·
Banned
95 Posts
I gave up my #1 Allotment spot for the Shelby GT500 in order to better position myself to be the ffirst one for the Challenger. One funny thing is that for some reason the Shelby name has been deleted from the car, interesting huh?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've never owned a Chrysler product in my life, the Challenger will be the first. I have been a big fan of 1970 E body mopars since 1990 when I discovered they existed. Fabulous body styles with insane pavement shredding engines. There is a real mystique about mopar that none of the other players have touched IMHO (except rarely.. eg, 1969 COPO Camaro). Hopefully Dodge pulls out the big guns and floors us all even more than the last time.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Welcome aboard, TruBlu - I would actually think going over to Chevy would be more like going over to the "dark side" - as Gregory Pegg said, this is more like coming into the light!

·
Registered
65 Posts
(It should be the other way around - we arent the dark side, GM is and we're the Rebel Ram Force!)

I grew up on GM cars, because my parents bought them for years. I had freinds who drove Camaros, Trans Am's and Javelins when I was in high school and always admired them because I drove a ugly 4-door 73 Chevelle (350 V8) that my dad picked up cheap at a company sale. At least I had wheels! I later owned a 81 Le Mans that got me through my college years and a 85 Cutlass with the wimpest 307 V8 I ever drove. It felt like a V-6.

Jumped the GM ship 7 years ago with a 91 Cougar and a 95 T-Bird 4.6, good cars but I wanted something bigger. My parents bought a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2-wheel drive 4.0 I-6 and we have used that as a work truck for 7 years - racking up 170,000 miles on it and the only major repair job was a new transmission and engine mounts.

I liked it so much I bought my own GC, an used 2001 model that had 70,000 miles on it, but was in great shape and for a good price. The only things I have had to replace was a cracked tailight, hood struts and a fried tweeter for the car stereo! The 4.0 is the tighest engine I have ever seen, it never uses any oil. I love my Jeep but I'm looking for a sportier car again this time around for a second vehicle.

(PS: this has been corrected..what happens when you think faster than your hands can type!)

·
Registered
36 Posts
man, I'm shocked (but happily surprised) with these posts. it seems that alot of you folks are just now starting to take a look at the Chrysler products. I have owned many, and will ONLY own many more MOPAR ptoducts. they are by far the best built, engineered, easy to work on (if necessary) vehicles that you'll find on the road today. I drive a '96 Cummins diesel powered Ram that has over 200,000 k on the ticker and never once has it given me an ounce of trouble, plus, it will haul a house and still gets me around 23-25 MPG. the wife has a '97 Wrangler Sport with that killer 4.0 I-6, and it has been a fun little toy for her. as foe our '71 Dodge Charger Super Bee, I can't even start to tell you what a riot that thing is! let me just say one other thing, you surely are not moving to the "dark side." you've been living in the dark so long, you don't know what brightness is anymore! save room in your garages for this sweet new toy that Dodge is gonna offer to you, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
712 Posts
WildBillTX said:
I later owned a 81 Grand Am that got me through my college years and a 95 Cutlass with the wimpest 307 V8 I ever drove.
Not to split hairs or anything, but... an 81 Grand Am..? :confused: Grand Ams weren't made in 81.

Also, I'm guessing your Cutlass was an 85, not a 95. The 95 Cutlasses didn't have the 307 and were front wheel drive with V6s only... ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
71 bee said:
man, I'm shocked (but happily surprised) with these posts. it seems that alot of you folks are just now starting to take a look at the Chrysler products. I have owned many, and will ONLY own many more MOPAR ptoducts. they are by far the best built, engineered, easy to work on (if necessary) vehicles that you'll find on the road today. I drive a '96 Cummins diesel powered Ram that has over 200,000 k on the ticker and never once has it given me an ounce of trouble, plus, it will haul a house and still gets me around 23-25 MPG. the wife has a '97 Wrangler Sport with that killer 4.0 I-6, and it has been a fun little toy for her. as foe our '71 Dodge Charger Super Bee, I can't even start to tell you what a riot that thing is! let me just say one other thing, you surely are not moving to the "dark side." you've been living in the dark so long, you don't know what brightness is anymore! save room in your garages for this sweet new toy that Dodge is gonna offer to you, you won't regret it!
For years I used to think Mopars were always second best, especally during the 80's when all they made were front wheel drive K-Cars, Minivans, rebadged imports and outdated pickups.

Lee Iacocca proably did the right things during that tough time. Mopar could have eaisly made some huge mistakes and fallen into oblivion like AMC did. Ford was making the 5.0 Mustang and GM was cranking out the Camero/Firebird, but Mopar didnt make anything during that time to grab my attention.

DCX has took some huge gambles, but its paid off nicely and now theres a bunch of dissatisfied and very disgusted GM and Ford fans changing sides.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts