Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2012 Dodge Challenger SXT and the other day I was pulled over by a police officer on a bike. He approached my car and asked for license and registration. I gave it to him and asked how his day was going and he proceeded to say "good, but yours won't be if I tow your car today." He then went to his bike and wrote a ticket, he came back and asked me to step out of my car and bring the keys. I did so and he had me sit on the curb as he took my keys and wrote my ticket. The cop gave me a ticket for exhibition of speed (VC 23109c). He then told me he was going to tow my car and he did so. It is supposed to be in impound for 30 days, but I managed to make some calls and get my car back because I need it for school and work. So, now I have some questions.

He wrote me for going 80 in a 45, giving me exhibition. Is that the right ticket? I had no screeching wheels nor was I racing anyone or anything.

He also wrote me for going 80 and he has no radar, is this easy to fight and how? On the ticket he wrote "estimation/admits" and I did not admit to 80, however I did admit to speeding.

Also I was cited for 80 miles an hour when I was going about 70, is there any way to prove this?

Do motorcycle cops wear recording devices?

Is it easy to get this ticket dropped to an infraction rather than a misdemeanor? And how?

Also, not much of this cops evidence adds up to me and I want to know what you guys think... From where the cop said he saw me, to where I was is .5 of a mile. He said I was going 80 and he had to go 95 to catch me and run a red light. There is no way I could be going 80 going around a blind turn to stop for traffic. There was about 5 cars in front of me at the light and about 5-10 behind me. When the cop pulled me over he had to go between cars to get behind me, how could I have 5-10 cars behind me if I was going 80 in a 45? Does that mean all these cars were going 80? (As a side note, the two street lights are small residential streets with minimal traffic, rarely to be caught with these lights red.)

Is this ticket fightable?

·
Registered
501 Posts
That is unfortunate. Perhaps this link will help. V C Section 23109 Speed Contests

If you believe you were cited in error all citations are open to dispute. Just be sure to document all your facts before going in front of the court. It may be wise to consult traffic law council before proceeding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe I should get a speeding ticket rather than exhibition of speed. There was no racing or tire screeching. Do you know if you can get a ticket for exhibition of speed for driving too fast?

·
Registered
501 Posts
It really depends on the circumstances perceived by the officer and they deem fit within the definition of the law and the compliant cited by them. Reading and understanding those circumstances (link in the post) and carefully documenting what your side of the story is will be your best aid. Aside from that it is always wise to consider council even if for just a consultation.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I would talk to a lawyer. But I know in TX at 80 in a 45, you could have been charged with speeding and reckless driving, and you were approaching "Driving with the intent to kill". Even 70 in a 45 is still pretty excessive. Not sure about the "exhibition of speed" but laws are different. I know there is "exhibition of acceleration" in TX which is the squealing tires, peeling out infraction (yes, I've gotten that ticket before).

But I believe even at 70 mph, you're 25 mph the limit and that's likely close to maxing out the state allowable fine for speeding. 80 would do it for sure.

Back in my youth, I was cited for 135 in a 50 by a Texas State Trooper. I could have gone to jail. He told me I could have been cited for Speeding, Reckless Driving, Driving with the Intent to Kill and even almost cited me for something like "fleeing a law officer" as he thought I was running. In short, he let me off with the speeding as I told him I was leaving for the Army in a couple of weeks. In the end it still cost me my car as insurance cancelled on me, and the fine was set by the County Judge at like $350 or something like that.

It sucks, but at 80 in a 45, I would say, I'm sorry, but count yourself lucky. Lawyer up, and see what you can do about it. good luck.

EDIT: Yes, I know I was stupid. I did say I did that in my "youth", and for what it's worth, we were out on a highway, late at night, no traffic. But still doesn't excuse my actions, and I do NOT drive like that anymore.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I drive a 2012 Dodge Challenger SXT and the other day I was pulled over by a police officer on a bike. He approached my car and asked for license and registration. I gave it to him and asked how his day was going and he proceeded to say "good, but yours won't be if I tow your car today." He then went to his bike and wrote a ticket, he came back and asked me to step out of my car and bring the keys. I did so and he had me sit on the curb as he took my keys and wrote my ticket. The cop gave me a ticket for exhibition of speed (VC 23109c). He then told me he was going to tow my car and he did so. It is supposed to be in impound for 30 days, but I managed to make some calls and get my car back because I need it for school and work. So, now I have some questions.

He wrote me for going 80 in a 45, giving me exhibition. Is that the right ticket? I had no screeching wheels nor was I racing anyone or anything.

He also wrote me for going 80 and he has no radar, is this easy to fight and how? On the ticket he wrote "estimation/admits" and I did not admit to 80, however I did admit to speeding.

Also I was cited for 80 miles an hour when I was going about 70, is there any way to prove this?

Do motorcycle cops wear recording devices?

Is it easy to get this ticket dropped to an infraction rather than a misdemeanor? And how?

Also, not much of this cops evidence adds up to me and I want to know what you guys think... From where the cop said he saw me, to where I was is .5 of a mile. He said I was going 80 and he had to go 95 to catch me and run a red light. There is no way I could be going 80 going around a blind turn to stop for traffic. There was about 5 cars in front of me at the light and about 5-10 behind me. When the cop pulled me over he had to go between cars to get behind me, how could I have 5-10 cars behind me if I was going 80 in a 45? Does that mean all these cars were going 80? (As a side note, the two street lights are small residential streets with minimal traffic, rarely to be caught with these lights red.)

Is this ticket fightable?
I think you just admitted to doing nearly double the speed limit and should nut up, admit you did wrong, and pay the fines...If you have a clean driving record the prosecution may go easy.

My wife got pulled over for like Ten mph over in a construction zone...$320 minimum fine but her spotless record got it reduced by half.

·
Banned
274 Posts
I don't know what state you live in, but some states, like Ohio, allow for cops to "estimate" speed. I think this is total B.S. I was recently pulled over in my home town in Indiana as I turned a corner and mashed my 87 W100, which is loud to say the least, and there was a parking lot full of cops that were just talking. They all stopped, turned, and watched me go by. Anyhow, he wrote me a ticket and I asked how he clocked me, and he said he "estimated" it. Luckily he lives down the road from me, and he stopped by on his way home. I told him I had been an MP in the Army, and having passed numerous geometry and trig classes, rates of speed will look different from every angle you look at them, and that's not even incorporating sound (in my case it sounded like I was going fast, but in reality I wasn't), and it's really impossible to judge speed on the fly (he wrote me 10 over) with that kind of accuracy. He ended up just throwing it out in my driveway.

As a pretty big liberty and anti-government guy (NSA is already watching me, not too worried. I give Obama suggestions by writing myself emails, which in turn get read by his goons) :armed:, I'd say fight it on those grounds. If he can just go around saying people are speeding and it's his word against everyone elses', why do they even need radar or laser devices? This is creeping to total police control.

In any event, fight it, good luck, and don't be ****y. Just try to point out how ridiculous it is in a nice way. :icon_cheers:

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
80 in a 45 is indeed exhibition of speed( I think this is a b.s. offence created by prius owners).I don't know why your car had to be towed and impounded,i would contest that.however at those speeds you could also be charged with speeding,too fast for conditions,reckless driving,reckless endangerment,...you get the picture. I think he wrote the exhibition only because he has no proof of your actual speed.always fight everything.see a lawyer.good luck and slow down.

·
Vendor
12,321 Posts
get a lawyer now!!!!!!!!!!!
even with a minor ticket i immediatelly go to a lawyer, also need to think repercussion with your insurance
Luke

Reactions: 08SRT

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
indeed get a lawyer for defense...
but you have already admitted here to doing 70 in a 45 so your only defense is either to...

A. lie and say you where not going that fast so it becomes your word against the cop
or
B. say the Police Officer has no proof you where going that fast and you're back to your word against the cops.

in any event this is in NO WAY "the man" sticking it to you...you broke the law (admittedly), got caught, and need to own up...I assume you would expect the same from others

Reactions: MoparPhil

·
Registered
454 Posts
OP you have admitted to speeding. Even 70 in a 45 is killing the speed limit. You were written for 80. Bottom line, you were flying and broke the law. It happens. Probably most of us, me included, have gotten a speeding ticket before. The best you can do is what others have said, get a lawyer. Hope that he can get the ticket reduced to something you can keep your license with (which should be easily done unless you have a lot of prior speeding convictions on your record), pay your fine and learn your lesson. But if you think you are going to get out this, you are dreaming. Best of luck.

Reactions: Sidewinder

·
Registered
968 Posts
A lawyer could rival the cost of this ticket. I don't see what you plan on fighting. If he truly estimated your speed at 80 in a 45, he could have taken you to jail. Some states have felonious speeding, others hit reckless driving at the same speed. It sounds like you are kind of lucky. I don't know what the heck you did to piss that cop off though lol

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
To the OP. Don't give up yet. Get a lawyer that does traffic law and if/when you go to court get a haircut and wear a suit.

When I was young and stupid I got busted for 95 in a 55 on the Washington DC beltway. The cop said I was going over 100, but didn't want to do extra paperwork so he cut me a break. I had to go to court. I dressed up and when it was my turn the Judge commented on how respectful I looked. I told him the truth (I was in a hurry) and was handed a $30 fine and no points.

In your situation, you said he didn't have any radar, that is a plus. However, cops can estimate and they are trained for it. I would not admit anything, and seek professional advice. You are guilty of speeding, not murder. Use the law to your advantage. Good luck.

·
Banned
274 Posts
I think what you need to concentrate on, is the fact that there is no physical proof that you were breaking any law. Regardless whether or not cops are trained to stand on an x and take bets on how fast a vehicle is going in the police academy, there is no PROOF, and every situation is different. They have to constantly calibrate their laser and radar equipment to provide accurate proof, so I don't even know what idiot came up with allowing people to just guess how fast a car is going and write them a fine based on a hunch. Ridiculous. Oh, and slow down. You were in the wrong, but nobody has proof of that, so fight that ish!

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
If I was a judge and you came before me admitting your mistake and demonstrating that you have learned your lesson I would cut you a break. If you lawyer up and it appears you're trying to get away with something or manipulating the law even though you know you're guilty I'd throw the book at you. IMO, a major problem with our legal system is that lawyers on both sides often play a strategy game to maneuver through laws and loopholes trying to win at all costs instead of simply seeking the truth. So if it was me, I'd just man up, let the judge know it was a mistake and show a willingness to accept the consequences. I would think he or she will respect that.

·
Registered
515 Posts
OP you have admitted to speeding. Even 70 in a 45 is killing the speed limit. You were written for 80. Bottom line, you were flying and broke the law. It happens. Probably most of us, me included, have gotten a speeding ticket before. The best you can do is what others have said, get a lawyer. Hope that he can get the ticket reduced to something you can keep your license with (which should be easily done unless you have a lot of prior speeding convictions on your record), pay your fine and learn your lesson. But if you think you are going to get out this, you are dreaming. Best of luck.
This is the best advice. Going in there calling a cop a liar or talking about proof will not get you anywhere, it is not court on TV. Like it or not cops can issue speeding tickets based on estimates or pace. A lawyer will know how to tactfully take that and get it reduced, best you can hope for.

EDIT: In most cases, at least from what I have seen the lawyer will attempt to deal with the cop before your case is even called. He is not going to get up there and channel Perry Mason in front of the entire court. He will try to convince the cop that you can learn your lesson without totally destroying your driving record. Maybe he will bring up the estimate to assist that route.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts