Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer quoted me $3200 for a replacement for this part. Has anybody ever replaced theirs? How hard is it to get this part? And how involved is it to take it apart? It looks like somebody mounted a suction cup with the wrong adhesive. Where else can I find the part for it?

IMG_20200513_134212.jpg

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
A much easier and cheaper option might be to just buy a dash-mat. :) A lot of people into high-end car audio actually want dash-mats as it improves the quality of the audio (less had surfaces to cause sound reflections, etc). I can imagine that it's going to be very expensive to replace that - a nice dash-mat might actually be benefical in multiple ways. :)

Just another option.

·
Super Moderator
15,573 Posts
the entire dash bolts in on the ends with (IIRC) two bolts - I've seen videos of the assembly line. It would probably be a two person job since its a bulky item and probably weighs a bit with the IP cluster, radio and heater core all attached to it.

Center console has to be removed and lower the steering column and remove the steering wheel to room to get the dash r & r.

the heater core is likely attached to the dash, so the hoses would need to be disconnected and all the harness that attach at firewall connectors as well.

Reactions: Limpylegs

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Wow.......that's pretty steep pricing and just looking at the damage it really does make me wonder if you've looked into possible repair of the existing dash. Dash repair is not at all uncommon. Over the years I've seen a lot of tips and tricks for everything from discoloration to cracks and disfiguring marks like you've got.

With a $3,000+ replacement cost........ I'd definitely want to completely exhaust all possibilities before biting that bullet especially if your car is older as suggested by the gauges I can see in your photo.

I'd be really surprised if repair isn't possible here.

It's hard to tell from the picture.

Is the adhesive still stuck to the dash the problem?

......or.......

Is it a case of the surface actually removed with the adhesive that has left holes in the surface?

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
292 Posts
Agreed. Years ago I had a car stereo pried out of the dash with a screw driver. The overhanging dash pad provided the leverage and created about a 1" deep gouge. I worked with the body shop to get the insurance to cover a replacement dash pad for around $500, and then paid a vinyl repair guy something like $200 to fix it. The repair was noticeable if you knew to look for it, but otherwise went unnoticed.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Have you tried Goo-Gone or any other adhesive remover? I would try anything before I would spend $3200.

·
Super Moderator
15,573 Posts
Have you tried Goo-Gone or any other adhesive remover? I would try anything before I would spend $3200.
that yellow spot is where a chunk of the vinyl "skin" is missing and the foam layer under is exposed.

those white spots are either adhesive residue or it reacted with the vinyl of the dash pad

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,979 Posts
Cheapest route would be a dash pad but looks like they are all made of molded carpet...they look ugly IMO.

Buying a new dash would also have high shipping cost, so if it were me I would go to a local junkyard and see if I can pull one off a junker.

FYI - go to the online chiltons manual to see what is invovled in removing the dash.

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
The dealer quoted me $3200 for a replacement for this part. Has anybody ever replaced theirs? How hard is it to get this part? And how involved is it to take it apart? It looks like somebody mounted a suction cup with the wrong adhesive. Where else can I find the part for it?
Did you buy the car in this condition?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Dash replacement isnt that hard. Has about 10 bolts holding it in. Electrical Plugs on each side also. Center console comes out along with steering dropping down or removed. Heater core stays in the car and has nothing to do with the dash itself. No need to remove the radio or cluster to get the dash itself out. Ive done a few of them. I can have the dash out in 30 min. Hardest part is removing it from the car. Its very heavy and requires two people. The pillar plastics have to be removed along with the footwell plastics.
They are expensive because when the air bags blow it ruins the dash. Salvage yards get a pretty penny for them, around 500.00 used.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
When I supervised a body shop we had a vinyl repair guy on call. Check and see if you have one of those guys in your area. They can do wonders.
Back in the mid 1970s I had a 73 Challenger and a friend had a 74 Challenger. He liked the color of my interior better and I liked the color of his better. So I swapped out all the interior trim, console and dash between the two vehicles in about four hours. Thinking about doing a dash on today's vehicles sends a shiver up my spine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you buy the car in this condition?
Yes I already knew it was there. The total price for the car was such a good deal I couldn't say no. 2014 R/T with 50k miles and he only wanted $14k for it because of a medical condition...he couldn't drive it anymore. All of the other cosmetic "dings" are minor compared to just this one.

A much easier and cheaper option might be to just buy a dash-mat. :) A lot of people into high-end car audio actually want dash-mats as it improves the quality of the audio (less had surfaces to cause sound reflections, etc). I can imagine that it's going to be very expensive to replace that - a nice dash-mat might actually be benefical in multiple ways. :)

Just another option.
Do they have any dash mats that don't look so fuzzy like a skinned cat or something? I never cared for all that "carpet" on the dash

Wow.......that's pretty steep pricing and just looking at the damage it really does make me wonder if you've looked into possible repair of the existing dash. Dash repair is not at all uncommon. Over the years I've seen a lot of tips and tricks for everything from discoloration to cracks and disfiguring marks like you've got.

With a $3,000+ replacement cost........ I'd definitely want to completely exhaust all possibilities before biting that bullet especially if your car is older as suggested by the gauges I can see in your photo.

Yes I spoke to a guy who said he could epoxy it for $200 mobile detailing to my house. Not sure if it would still be an eye sore or not

It's hard to tell from the picture.

Is the adhesive still stuck to the dash the problem?

......or.......

Is it a case of the surface actually removed with the adhesive that has left holes in the surface?

I assume that somebody used the wrong adhesive on a suction cup mount and ripped off the surface. But now I'm being told that it could be from a windshield repair? I don't know I've never had one done before

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,868 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;)

I've seen leather covers for Mustangs, but only see suede as an "higher end" choice for Challengers

These also have Dashtex

Not ideal...

A Guy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts