Dodge Challenger Forum banner

I need help choosing a coil pack for my 19 SXT

341 19
Hey y’all, I’m wanting to install some new coils in my 19 SXT. From what I’ve seen the RIPP coil pack is a safe and proven set to get a little boost in power. However this set on American muscle claims in the description that they produce 15% more energy as apposed to the 10% that RIPP claims. Have any of you had any experience with the American muscle coil pack? I can’t find any reliable reviews anywhere for them. 15% more energy at 100 bucks less than RIPP seems like a great deal. But like I said, i can’t find anything online validating their claims.

I’m hoping to get the cheaper coils and come out with more power than if I got the more expensive coils
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am being very helpful.

I would suggest a performance chip that plugs into your OBD port and a CAI to go along with those coils if you want the big power.
No, helpful would be providing actual information and sources. As apposed to just saying **** and then going “trust me bro”

You just proved OregonScat’s point …. you are getting swindled if you actually buy them …. but hey you do you, he tried to help you
Why don’t y’all provide actual information. It’s literally just your word against everyone else’s

· Registered
2021 Scat Pack
248 Posts
Why don’t y’all provide actual information. It’s literally just your word against everyone else’s
Simple search
Have a read

· Registered
2011 SXT
5,735 Posts
OEM is the way to go the RIPP is just hype rather they believing in a Market Hyped product its best to go by how many OEM Coil Cars are still going strong with 100k 200k and such. Next without a Tune nothing Aftermarket is just going to gain Horsepower that is regulated by a Programmed set of Parameters in the PCM.. This is not the old school days to where a HEI did help with the upgrade but you got HEI to begin with.

Google Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler Ripp Issues and you might be shocked at the results many upgrade and end up having ignition issues an have to go back to OEM...

Google RIpp Misfire... Cel many Forums with people having multiple ones fail from installation to short time installed.
Including on here ...

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Simple search
Have a read
I feel like you didn’t read that thread. Thanks though.

· Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
36,781 Posts

A Guy

· Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,474 Posts
Reactions: GatorDave99

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you so much for providing actual substance to the discussion

Why do you ask the question if you're going to ignore the advice of folks who have knowledge that you should be listening to?
Nothing about their response indicates they have knowledge I should be listening to. Dude even went on to link a thread where the common consensus was that the coils worked, it even had another video where they tested and “proved” the coils work…

· Registered
2011 SXT
5,735 Posts
If your determined to get the RIPPS then no matter what then get them and hopefully all works well. No one is being a wise guy but many times when people have messed with them they have had issues. That said prove it to your self for a fact take your Challenger to a Dyno Shop run it get the results swap the coils out and do a 2nd dyno run you will be shocked that nothing has gained. The PCM without a tune is regulating your Engine's Parameters so Bolt on Items without being optimized is not going to gain any HP.

As shown in the video not quite a full 2 hp for how much money? You wont feel that difference and the Throttle Response wont change. Now if your going to do a Coil upgrade, New NGK Plugs, do a Pug Upgrade on your 3.6 Pentastar since you got to remove so much to swap them. How ever just new Plugs and Pug will feel more responsive regardless of the Coil Upgrade or not.

1200.00 for 2 hp that you dont actually feel is not a worth while expense.

Best bang for the money get your PCM unlocked and get a Tuner like the Diablo with a Hemi Fever Tune for the 3.6 you can gain about 20 to nearly 30hp at the Flywheel not at the Wheels you can maybe pick up about 5 to 7hp and dramatically increase the response of the Engine. If your look for best cost effective HP Gain and squeeze the most you can without going to a Forced Induction Upgrade like a Turbo or Super Charger.

The Pentastar is a great engine but its not meant by design to be a Hemi contender this is why the money dumped into that v6 is money that can be saved for a Hemi Model Challenger down the road with a ton more HP products for it and easier to get serious Power.

The Decision is yours...

· Premium Member
2021 M6 Shaker RT
924 Posts
If a simple coil pack change would net 10% more HP and nothing negative, why would the OE people not simply use those or that type of coil?

Just because a coil pack has more energy potential does not translate to more HP. If all the coil needs to produce is 6-12K volts, then a coil pack capable of 25-30K voltage is more than sufficient.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
That entire "test" was just a baseline. The result is not surprising at all--just pumping more voltage won't change anything. They didn't actually test the max potential of the aftermarket coils--which would require increasing the spark gap. DUI instructions tell you exactly what gap to use for any specific application.
Richard Holdener did a great video demonstrating how increasing spark gap can net gains--he went as high as 0.100".

· Registered
114 Posts
Stock coils work just fine. You'll be paying for bling. "Hot" coils are left overs from the points and distributor days. They usually ate up points quicker because they required more amperage to work as advertised. Keep in mind those days a single coil provided spark for 4-6 or eight cylinders. Now you have a coil for EACH cylinder. Rise times and other problems that single coils had to deal with are no problem with the computer controlled coils of today.
Buy the decal and save your money. Even if these coils somehow provided "extra" horsepower, you'd need ET slips to see a difference. You'll never feel a 10 HP increase by the seat of the pants unless you started out with only 1 HP to start with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts