Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2014 Dodge Challenger SXT, with the stock HU and nothing added AV wise. I'm looking for a new sound set up with great sound quality with powerful but crisp clean bass. I listen to mostly Hip-Hop and EDM music so you can go based off that.

I am not really looking to spend too much, I just want you guy's opinion, maybe some of you with Challengers can give me your set up?
I heard that there is no need to change the rear deck speakers since I sit in the front, your thoughts?

Here's what I've been looking at so far:

Head Unit: Pioneer FH-X720BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Subwoofers: 2 JL Audio 10W0v3-4 W0v3 Series 10" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Speakers for front: Cant choose between these
Polk Audio db651s 6-1/2" 2-way shallow-mount car speakers at Crutchfield.com

or

Kicker 40CS654 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

I'm completely lost on what amp to get or if i even need one. Would the amp on the HU be enough? Also I know since I wants 2 10" subs I need a box, do you guys recommend a type? And would I need a sub specifically for those subs?

I know it's a lot of questions but I want to thank all of you in advance, even if you only answer one question! I'm open to any recommended changes in my choices!

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I have a 2014 Dodge Challenger SXT, with the stock HU and nothing added AV wise. I'm looking for a new sound set up with great sound quality with powerful but crisp clean bass. I listen to mostly Hip-Hop and EDM music so you can go based off that.

I am not really looking to spend too much, I just want you guy's opinion, maybe some of you with Challengers can give me your set up?
I heard that there is no need to change the rear deck speakers since I sit in the front, your thoughts?

Here's what I've been looking at so far:

Head Unit: Pioneer FH-X720BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Subwoofers: 2 JL Audio 10W0v3-4 W0v3 Series 10" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Speakers for front: Cant choose between these
Polk Audio db651s 6-1/2" 2-way shallow-mount car speakers at Crutchfield.com

or

Kicker 40CS654 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

I'm completely lost on what amp to get or if i even need one. Would the amp on the HU be enough? Also I know since I wants 2 10" subs I need a box, do you guys recommend a type? And would I need a sub specifically for those subs?

I know it's a lot of questions but I want to thank all of you in advance, even if you only answer one question! I'm open to any recommended changes in my choices!
I don't know about that particular deck, but you usually need at least some additional power for your component speakers - something small, even, that can even fit behind the dash will do...but for subs, you HAVE to get additional power. Mono amps, though, don't have to be that expensive. I'm not an expert by any means but I do know power is your No. 1 priority on any stereo system. If you want to save $$$, save it on the deck, IMO...

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you want to take advantage of the new speakers, you will need to put an amp on them. I just replaced all 6 speakers in my car but have not installed the amp yet. The speakers are much cleaner/crisper but when you turn it up they distort. You will get a little more amperage off that aftermarket head unit but it will probably not be enough. They tend to overrate the wattage specs on them. I mainly listen to EDM as well. I will let you know how they perform once I hook up the amp. FWIW, Crutchfield was not 100% accurate on what will and will not fit. For one thing, they swear that my 2014 Challenger only has 4 speakers when it clearly has 6. I went with RF Punch speakers for all 6 with a 4 channel RF Punch amp. The dash speakers were a little too tall (the tweeter sticks up a tad too high) so I had to shave a little plastic on the inside of the trim bezel. It is still touching but I can live with it. All in all, the speaker swap was much easier than I thought. If you do it yourself, go out and buy a right angle attachment for a drill. It is a lifesaver for the rear deck and dash. I picked up a Dewalt from Lowes for $25.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would recommend a 5 channel amp and putting rear speakers. These cars, in my opinion, are too large to not have rear speakers. Doesn't have to be anything expensive but I would put something. Also, I would recommend a single 12 or even a 15. Just because the speaker is larger doesn't mean you can't get good bass, plus it is difficult for the bass to penetrate the cabin with the back seat up. Most guys need at least a single 12 or even two 12's to really feel the bass. I went with a single 15 in a sealed box and it sounds amazing. Are you leaning towards a sealed or ported box? Also, think about how much room you want to lose. Some boxes can take up quite a bit of room. I have a set of 3 way components up front but you can go with coax speakers for the door and dash for simplicity. If you want better sound quality, you may want to upgrade to a set of components and mount the mid in the door and the tweeter in the dash or a-pillar. Bottom line is there is a ton of options. Try to listen to other peoples cars to get an idea of what you are trying to achieve. I ended up trying 4 or 5 different boxes and subs before settling on the 15. I have a lot of experience with these cars so feel free to ask questions or message me. Good luck..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts