Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I'm considering going Mopar.. I've been a Chevy fan my entire life and I just can seem to justify buying a dodge.

First off, the name is Phil and own a 06 Pontiac gto 6 speed. I understand this is challenger territory and I just wanted to get different opinions on the srt8 model years 2008-2010. In all honesty I love my GTO however, it is really expensive to keep up with I paid 16.5 K for her last year in May. Since then I've replaced the oil pump, the starter, the rear end is acting up, I don't get any traction, the car has hail dents that aren't that bad but noticeable, I need new brakes and a plethora of other s***. I added up everything that I would need in order to make the GTO comparable to newer cars in regards to performance, looks, and handling and its about 30-35k on top of the money I paid for her, it's a hefty investment. I really love the looks of the challenger srt8 and the price tag isn't that bad I can find a used srt under 25k miles for about 27-29k add in a hellion TT and boom that's it. Less money invested.

I just would like you all to further elaborate on why it would be a good idea to make the switch... *if it is a good idea at all

Things I'm concerned about or rumors about the challenger.

The srt8s aren't that fast *6.1
Their heavy as balls *over 4k?
Dodges aren't built well
The engine doesn't like modifications *cam, heads etc.

What I like

Looks
Performance
Indiscreet twin turbo mounts after headers
I CAN FIT A HUGE TIRE WITHOUT MINI TUBING ?
Price
No work to do.. Just get in and go without problems.

I appreciate your help guys

Phil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
End goal Rwhp.... About close to the hellcat 600-700 ish will be tracked but not often. Mostly cruising and car Club meets. (not my daily driver)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Also the o8 SRT8 had an open differential. (No posi)
Also the 6.1 were gas hogs.
I would try for a 2011 or later.

Good luck!

Tom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't know that at all, unfortunately the 2011 and up are beyond my price range haha thanks for the input

·
Registered
863 Posts
Didn't know that at all, unfortunately the 2011 and up are beyond my price range haha thanks for the input
LOL!! Better I tell you now, than have a ticked of Mopar owner!!
Good luck.

Tom.

·
Registered
863 Posts
What about the 2010?
2010's were GREAT!
The auto I believe used MDS to help with gas mileage!
The sticks were a blast with the skip shift eliminator.
They were like 425 net HP.
I had an 08, 10 two 2011's now a 2015 so.... you might say I am biased!!

I was Chevy for a while (5 Vette's)

Mopar or nocar now.

Tom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about the 2010?
2010's were GREAT!
The auto I believe used MDS to help with gas mileage!
The sticks were a blast with the skip shift eliminator.
They were like 425 net HP.
I had an 08, 10 two 2011's now a 2015 so.... you might say I am biased!!

I was Chevy for a while (5 Vette's)

Mopar or nocar now.

Tom.
Phew! That's good to know.. So it was just the 2008? Or the 2009 too?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Welcome, Phil!
I think I might have some relevant input here, since I owned a 2005 GTO, 6pd, that I bought new on '05 and drove it for 135K miles. That was the 5.7 engine, but still a strong engine.
I now have the '15 SRT and I chose that car (my first Mopar) because it shares many commonalities with that GTO.
-Full size muscle car
-Similar weights (GTO was ~3800, SRT is ~4200)
-Fully independant suspension all 4 wheels
-Larger cabin with real, usable, back seat (not that I carry people, but can if needed)
- Actual trunk that fits stuff (except the GTO did have the fuel cell taking up some space, Challenger is much larger)
-More mod accessories available for Challenger
-a bit 'rarer' than thousands of Camaro/Mustangs seen on the road
-Uniques colors, GTO had them, Challenger has them too

I have the 6.4 (392) and I believe Dodge underrates it (many folks dyno at 440+ at the wheels, translating to over 500HP Crank). An incredible engine that has a long flat torque curve up till redline. Pulls much stronger than my 5.7 used to. The factory exhaust note is incredible too.

Overall, it's the GTO spirit, but much improved and has a great community behind it as well. You won't regret it, the SRT makes me smile every time I see it and drive it.:grin2:
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
they're be many similar features of a Challenger to the GTO.

>IRS (the Challenger / Daimler one is a bit more sophisticated)
>both use the Tremec TR6060 manual

SRT 6.1 is 425hp vs. the 400hp for the 6.0 LS engines.

More interior room in the Challenger, and the trunk isn't compromised by the fuel tank placement the US GTO models had.

There's another point I remember - I drove a 'stick GTO at a GM event back in '05 - the driveline had that typical driveline lash / clunky feeling a lot of GM cars seem to have, especially the RWD models. [also drove a Caddy CTS, Pontiac Solstice and a 'Vette - the CTS had the 'tightest' feel, the 'Vette was hard to drive smoothly - drivetrain calibrations were just "off"]

The Challengers have a better build quality /durability - the issues you have with your '06 GTO points out the matters where GM shortcut things (this was pretty prevalent on post '00 cars overall for them) and durability takes a big hit as you find out after a few years.

I considered a GTO back in the day, especially when the '05 revisions came out, but they ran ~ $36k and I wasn't taken enough to consider. The Challenger came out shortly thereafter and knowing the DNA that went into those - I ordered an '09.

I'd recommend an '09-'10 over the '08...there were more improvements made (LSD diff) and if you have the MyGig (nav) the HDD went from 20GB to 30GB and there were more colors offered (Torred, B5 Blue, Plum Crazy, Detonator Yellow, Furious Fuchsia) as well as the choices of automatic or 6-speed. ['08 was auto only, open differential, and only Hemi Orange, Brilliant Black or Silver avail]

·
Registered
9 Posts
In 2013, I traded an '06 GTO, purchased new, Torrid Red, M6, 18's, red leather, 65K miles for my current Challenger, one year used with 14K miles (came w/exhaust, tint & sill guards). Loved the GTO's performance and interior--it was my daily driver in Upstate NY and had the normal nagging issues plaguing it (back seats ripping, door locks breaking, self-burned CDs not playing on the Blaupunkt, new brakes needed, door handle paint peeling) and could tell some major $ items were shortly in the offing. Got $13.5K in trade and paid $27.5K for the Challenger (still my DD). Love both cars. Looks are hands down MOPAR. The LS2 in the GTO was a beast. Challenger brings a smile to my face just seein' it out the window----the GTO, when I turned that huge friggin' key...

Anyway, best of luck, sir!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In 2013, I traded an '06 GTO, purchased new, Torrid Red, M6, 18's, red leather, 65K miles for my current Challenger, one year used with 14K miles (came w/exhaust, tint & sill guards). Loved the GTO's performance and interior--it was my daily driver in Upstate NY and had the normal nagging issues plaguing it (back seats ripping, door locks breaking, self-burned CDs not playing on the Blaupunkt, new brakes needed, door handle paint peeling) and could tell some major $ items were shortly in the offing. Got $13.5K in trade and paid $27.5K for the Challenger (still my DD). Love both cars. Looks are hands down MOPAR. The LS2 in the GTO was a beast. Challenger brings a smile to my face just seein' it out the window----the GTO, when I turned that huge friggin' key...

Anyway, best of luck, sir!
Haha this guy knows the struggle. I thank you all for your input, I'll go with either a 2009 or 2010 srt8 6.1, possibly a 392 if the price is right. I really didn't want to go over 30k. I also still owe on the GTO, but It's worth more than what I owe so I'll come out ahead a few grand hopefully. Every single car I've owned has been silver so I suspect it's time for a change. It has to be a 6 speed. (I never understood why muscle cars even come with a automatic option) I'll keep you all updated when I finally decide to pull the trigger, thanks again :)

Phil

·
Registered
GCM 2015 Challenger
55 Posts
I can tell you why I bought my 2006 GTO with an automatic....it ran 3 tenths of a second faster than the manual. Great great car. Loved that car through and through. That being said, I love my Challenger and while my R/T isnt as quick as my GTO was, an SRT will match its pace. Pull the trigger you will be thrilled.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
8,912 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The 6.1 is actually a fairly easy motor to modify, there is no MDS or VCT to mess with so cams, heads, tuning, superchargers etc.. are fairly straight forward mods. The 6.1 is actually preferred as a starting point for a lot of peoples builds. Also if you plan to do a few mods I wouldn't rule out a cheaper R/T from 2009-2010. With only a few bolt on's and a high stall converter I had my 2010
R/T into the high 12's and that was enough to be faster than a lot of GTO's.

Here's a video from a few years back:
https://youtu.be/isIJNYqr7GQ

There are lot's of mods you can do to both the 6.1 and 5.7 and run just about whatever quartermile time you want, it's just a matter of how much money you want to dump into it.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
welcome...check my sig if your're considering a Challenger

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Phil, Welcome aboard! :) You will find a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts