Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've owned my 392 for a few weeks now and, as much as Ive loved driving my R/T Classic for the past year, I haven't touched it since the day I picked up my GWE SRT. Well, today I took out my Classic (with STP) and I'm afraid to say I've officially joined the, "there's no comparison between an R/T and SRT8 camp. Maybe there wasn't as much of a difference in 2010, but this year's 392 is a beast with a lot of performance.
I realize not everyone can justify spending the money for an SRT nor does everyone NEED one. I also believe the R/T can be modded to have much better handling, speed, braking, etc. Maybe the 2011 R/T's have been improved in these regards?
I have to say that, owning both, there really is a night and day difference between them. Anyone that feels otherwise is either not pushing the limits enough, or is delusional.:notallthere:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have to say that, owning both, there really is a night and day difference between them. Anyone that feels otherwise is either not pushing the limits enough, or is delusional.:notallthere:

For the difference in dough, there had better be a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

There is!:smokin:

·
Registered
355 Posts

Basically, in life, you get what you pay for. I have a friend in Ohio, who's brother has a 2010 R/T Classic which he likes very much, but now wants a higher level of performance and he was buying into all this "you can buy an R/T and spend the extra money on mods and be ahead". Really? He's looked into it and while his loaded R/T classic which stickered at a little over 40K last year (he paid 36K) vs. a 2011 SRT8 like mine (sticker a little over 47k, paid 43.2K) might seem like a big difference, he started looking at upgrading his car to 2011 SRT8 performance levels and even before he gets to power adders, the cost of the Brembro braking system and the new steering box already makes his quest make no sense, even before he starts doing mods to his engine. On the other hand if someone was looking at a loaded 2010 SRT8 sitting on a dealer lot in which they can score for 36K, they can probably do the new steering box, and suspension settings and mod the engine to match the output of a 2011 392 and still be below the cost of a brand new 2011 but in the end they still have a 2010 and I think the resale value will negate any benefit. Of course an argument can be made that a 2010 R/T or SRT8 can be modded to match or beat the straight line acceleration of a new stock 392, but there is much more to the 2011 than just that, what about the braking (over an R/T). or the quicker steering and handling? If straight line acceleration is the only concern you have then I guess you are right, but for me, that is only part of it. But if not and you are looking at the total performance then what exactly does it cost to modify the 2010 R/T in braking, handling and acceleration or a 2010 SRT8 to match handling and acceleration compared to the cost of a 2011? Honestly I feel if you take the cost of those mods vs resale value, it doesn't make sense. I myself looked at 2010 leftover SRT8's which were offered at incredible prices and was very tempted, but when I figured the price to bring it up to 2011 specs and HP vs resale as one model year older it didn't compute. AS for me, I love the late model Challengers and if I could have bought a 2010 and brought the total package as far as performance up to 2011 specs and saved enough money to make up for the difference in resale between the '10 and '11, I would have been all over it, but for the life of me, I can't see how. So I went with the 2011.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should sell me that piece of crap R/T Classic. :bigthumb: You can't be expected to drive it after driving that SRT. :browsmiley:

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Well put. The SRT is a beast especially with the new 392.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After driving both, I feel like I cheated on my R/T. I can't look at her the same anymore knowing the SRT is out there waiting.
LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'm sure someday if they come out with a 426 Cuda or whatever the latest and greatest is, we'll be looking at our 392's in the same way. Speed, power, great handling and looks are addictive.:browsmiley:

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
The 2011 SRT8 has a totally reworked suspension, and of course a far more powerful engine than the 2010 SRT8. You could probably say the same thing about a 2010 SRT8 and a 2011 SRT8. The 2011 SRT8 is full of win.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The difference between the 10 and 11 SRT is less dramatic than the difference between a 10 R/T and SRT. The 392 makes the R/T feel like the V6 Mustang I drove after the 5.0.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
OP,love the two colors you have. don't think I would buy two challengers but I can see getting those two colors for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I envy you 392 guys, but I don't. There is no doubt that the new car is a beast in the truest sense of the word. Better handling, more power that is unmatched compared to the tiny 5.7L. I can imagine it being way more fun to drive, and feeling lighter on it's feet.

I have a few bolt ons with my R/T and honesty I am VERY happy with it's power output. I have driven faster cars, and I really don't think I would want 500hp as a daily driver. Too many temptations to push it. For my application, I am happy with my decently powered R/T. It's mild mannered enough for everyday use. The 392 may be as well, but I'd want to push the envelope on that thing too much.

I also knew I could never afford the SRT. Just too much money for me, especially with you slap on that ridiculous gas guzzler tax. But, with my R/T I have modded it to where I feel it has similar power to a stock 6.1, and I am happy with that. Also I fell in love with the Classic package, it looks to most retro IMO, can't get that with the SRT8. SRT8 looks more like a race car than a muscle car (JUST MY OPINION!! :)

If I could keep my R/T and get another automobile I wouldn't buy essentially the same car, I'd mix it up and get something like a Toyota Tundra or a Nissan Titan, something that is very practical so I can haul stuff.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I've owned my 392 for a few weeks now and, as much as Ive loved driving my R/T Classic for the past year, I haven't touched it since the day I picked up my GWE SRT. Well, today I took out my Classic (with STP) and I'm afraid to say I've officially joined the, "there's no comparison between an R/T and SRT8 camp. Maybe there wasn't as much of a difference in 2010, but this year's 392 is a beast with a lot of performance.
I realize not everyone can justify spending the money for an SRT nor does everyone NEED one. I also believe the R/T can be modded to have much better handling, speed, braking, etc. Maybe the 2011 R/T's have been improved in these regards?
question, I just registered my challenger, how do I get the picture like you have? not very good with computers.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Have an 09 R/T and an 09 SRT8. All I can say is that there is a HUGE difference between those two also. Doesn't have to be a 392 to notice that.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I drove my R/T Classic Auto to the dealership for an oil change and test drove the 11 SRT GWE 6 sp. Yes, the difference is night and day. Suspension, handling and steering was way way better, not to mention the big power diff between the two motors. I deliberately did NOT drive a 09 or 10 SRT when I bought my first R/T and my classic because I was afraid I'd not be able to turn it down. I could afford an SRT if I wanted to, but I don't want to spend high 40's on a car. I'll wait a few years and get a used one.. heck they are already popping up for sale from folks who couldn't really afford it in the first place.

But, to the OP.. yes, you are absolutely correct. Was night and day just on a test drive. Am I happy with my R/T classic.. yup, absolutely. Would I love the new SRT, you betyourass I would.

Mike

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I think spending near 50K for a SRT 392 is bit much, especially when you can get loaded 6.1s for much less right now. I was impressed with the 392 and liked it better than the 6.1L overall, but I would take a 6.1L over my 5.7 any day and would not regret it one bit. I think what will end up happening is that I will eventually might own all the V-8 variants of the Challenger at some point, but I will never get them when they first come out. They will always be leftovers or lightly used and priced how they should have been from the very beginning 40K instead of 50K.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I'm confused as to the point of this thread is? :scratchhead:
is it that the 392 is more powerful and handles better than my year previous R/T? seems like "well duh" answers that :dunno:
Or is it that I own both and now my one year old R/T feels weak compared to my brand new SRT? Seems alot of folks who can't afford even one SE challenger might answer that with "well cry me a river :cry: , life must suck for you"

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think spending near 50K for a SRT 392 is bit much, especially when you can get loaded 6.1s for much less right now. I was impressed with the 392 and liked it better than the 6.1L overall, but I would take a 6.1L over my 5.7 any day and would not regret it one bit. I think what will end up happening is that I will eventually might own all the V-8 variants of the Challenger at some point, but I will never get them when they first come out. They will always be leftovers or lightly used and priced how they should have been from the very beginning 40K instead of 50K.

You don't have to spend 50k...by buddy picked up his black 392 for 42900 delivered. That should make you feel green with envy....:scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
LOL. The way I would configure it, the sticker would be close to 47K, which I might be able to get it for $43.5K right now, so I guess 45K would have been the better estimate.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts