Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for I Phone mount and location reccomendations, lets see some pic's. :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,672 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Center console.

Calls are all hands free. Texting while driving is illegal in almost every state. Some states don't even allow you to touch a phone once you start driving. Nav is through the challenger if equipped. If not, load navigation prior to starting a trip then place in center console. Listen to prompts for when to turn. Not need to be staring at it the entire time.

That leaves no reason for a mount.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,057 Posts
I personally use the Lifeproof mount, since I have that case on my iPhone. I typically keep it in the center console, but since I am currently stationed in Germany the built in Nav doesn’t work. So I use my phone as my Navigation tool. Which can also talk to you and give you turn by turn prompts.

Which is great for those people who never look at the screen. Because they are so well disciplined that they always look at the road. Hell....those people probably don’t even blink because they may miss something. Which come to think of it. I believe it’s illegal to blink in some European countries. Guess I should check into that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Center console.

Calls are all hands free. Texting while driving is illegal in almost every state. Some states don't even allow you to touch a phone once you start driving. Nav is through the challenger if equipped. If not, load navigation prior to starting a trip then place in center console. Listen to prompts for when to turn. Not need to be staring at it the entire time.

I'll argue that hands free phone calls are more dangerous than holding the phone. The reason is that it allows triple-tasking.

With a hand-held phone, I can do two things. Drive with one hand and talk on the phone. With a hands-free phone, I can drive with one hand, talk on the phone AND......eat a hamburger, drink a slurpee, fiddle with the radio/NAV, whatever.

Good intentioned but ill-informed "legislators" (nannys) have made hand-held phone calls while driving illegal in some places, but triple tasking leads to more accidents than simply talking on the phone alone. The "intention" was to make people use two hands on the wheel, but just look around and see who actually has two hands on the wheel.....ever. Most people (myself included), drive with one hand, except when in poor weather, heavy traffic, or aggressive bends..etc. Hands free phone calls don't make us put two hands on the wheel.

These laws have made distracted driving worse, not better. Same with the no-texting laws. People intent on texting while driving now keep their devices down in their laps or consoles, to hide them from the police, making them take their eyes even farther off the road than if they had them up at eye-level. So it's ok to look at the map on your NAV or that beautiful UConnect screen but not at a text on a device at the same level/location?

Distracted driving is distracted driving, no matter whether is the phone, texts, NAV, Radio, nagging wife in the right seat, screaming kid in the back seat or hot chick on the sidewalk. I only use the phone while driving, when it's not convenient to stop, and never use the hands-free, to limit my distractions to 1.....the phone. I use my UConnect for the back-up camera in my RAM, and other than that, it's off. I have a piece of black felt over the one in my '13 Challenger (no back-up cam) because the "off" button is too hard to find on one of the sub-screens. I don't use the NAV in either vehicle. I was able to get everywhere I needed to go for the first 30 years I drove, and the few times I did use NAV, it tried to take me on routes that I knew were not the best for where I was going. I'm smarter than the NAV, so why bother.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try proclipusa.com they make good products and have different mounting options. They might have what you are looking for. You buy the mount (car side) and the phone mount separately. That way, if you change phones, you only have to get the phone piece

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Center console.

I am simply looking for a secure, visable place to store the phone while driving as I don't like leaving it to ride loose in or on the console. ;)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I am simply looking for a secure, visable place to store the phone while driving as I don't like leaving it to ride loose in or on the console. ;)
Why "visible". If you're looking at your phone while you're driving, you're not looking at the road, which makes you part of the problem, so a "visible" phone mount is not the solution. Turn the phone off, and put it in the glove box or center console. If you're worried about damaging it, wrap it in an old t-shirt or buy one of those sleeve/pouches for it. My phone goes either in the center console, between a pair of gloves and my nylon side-arm holster or in the glove box, in the middle of a pile of fast-food napkins. Nice and snug, doesn't rattle around, and it's not a distraction.

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
I just looked up a picture of the 2016 Challenger center console and it only has cup holders. Doesn't really leave a place for a phone to sit. I have a 2011 and it had a slot to the left of the cup holders that's perfect for a cell phone.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'll argue that hands free phone calls are more dangerous than holding the phone. The reason is that it allows triple-tasking.

With a hand-held phone, I can do two things. Drive with one hand and talk on the phone. With a hands-free phone, I can drive with one hand, talk on the phone AND......eat a hamburger, drink a slurpee, fiddle with the radio/NAV, whatever.

Good intentioned but ill-informed "legislators" (nannys) have made hand-held phone calls while driving illegal in some places, but triple tasking leads to more accidents than simply talking on the phone alone. The "intention" was to make people use two hands on the wheel, but just look around and see who actually has two hands on the wheel.....ever. Most people (myself included), drive with one hand, except when in poor weather, heavy traffic, or aggressive bends..etc. Hands free phone calls don't make us put two hands on the wheel.

These laws have made distracted driving worse, not better. Same with the no-texting laws. People intent on texting while driving now keep their devices down in their laps or consoles, to hide them from the police, making them take their eyes even farther off the road than if they had them up at eye-level. So it's ok to look at the map on your NAV or that beautiful UConnect screen but not at a text on a device at the same level/location?

Distracted driving is distracted driving, no matter whether is the phone, texts, NAV, Radio, nagging wife in the right seat, screaming kid in the back seat or hot chick on the sidewalk. I only use the phone while driving, when it's not convenient to stop, and never use the hands-free, to limit my distractions to 1.....the phone. I use my UConnect for the back-up camera in my RAM, and other than that, it's off. I have a piece of black felt over the one in my '13 Challenger (no back-up cam) because the "off" button is too hard to find on one of the sub-screens. I don't use the NAV in either vehicle. I was able to get everywhere I needed to go for the first 30 years I drove, and the few times I did use NAV, it tried to take me on routes that I knew were not the best for where I was going. I'm smarter than the NAV, so why bother.
Hands free is no issue for me. I can't stand eating while driving. Way too distracting. I always go inside a restaurant to eat. Haven't stopped at a drive-thru in at least a decade. I leave my radio on one station always. Volume and channel controls are on the steering wheel anyway along with all uconnect buttons. No need for the hands to ever leave the wheel while taking. I rarely use the phone in the car. I can even read and send texts if I wanted to without my hands leaving the wheel. My Challenger doesn't have nav, nothing to touch there.

In just one 5 mile from my house to get some food, I usually have to dodge 3 cars because the driver is texting and driving. I lay on the horn even if they did correct and get back in their lane before they get by me. Someone always lags at the lights because they are on their phones. Honk on them as well. If this gargage keeps up, legislators might just have to ban the use of cell phones while in motion all together.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Banning texting has been done...it doesn't work. People still text and drive. Drunk driving has already been "banned", and that doesn't stop people from doing it, even after their license has been revoked. People will do what they want to do, no matter what the "law" is. Our only recourse is attentive defensive driving (looking out for these careless people), and then when they cause an accident, lock them up. Mandatory 90 days. Start filling the local pokey with texters who have to be bunk mates with "Bubba" for a couple months. If all the thinks I'd gladly pay higher taxes for, it would be more jails, guards, support staff, etc.... to get all the nitwits off the road. Less traffic, more jobs.....win/win.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just looked up a picture of the 2016 Challenger center console and it only has cup holders. Doesn't really leave a place for a phone to sit. I have a 2011 and it had a slot to the left of the cup holders that's perfect for a cell phone.
My '16 has a coin tray (slot) next to the shifter that will accommodate the phone, but it's a sloppy fit and I don't want it banging around in there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Center console.

Thanks, but I am aware of laws here locally with respect to cell phone usage while driving, and my car is equipped with both Bluetooth and navigation, however neither of these are the reasons for wanting a visible mount. Due to my profession, I always keep the volume on my phone turned off which requires me to either have to see or carry it at all times and I don't want it rattling around in a cup holder or on the console. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why "visible". If you're looking at your phone while you're driving, you're not looking at the road, which makes you part of the problem, so a "visible" phone mount is not the solution. Turn the phone off, and put it in the glove box or center console. If you're worried about damaging it, wrap it in an old t-shirt or buy one of those sleeve/pouches for it. My phone goes either in the center console, between a pair of gloves and my nylon side-arm holster or in the glove box, in the middle of a pile of fast-food napkins. Nice and snug, doesn't rattle around, and it's not a distraction.
I'm not sure how, exactly, that a request for cell phone mount recommendations on a car site makes me part of any problem, however I do appreciate your concern for my welfare and I shouldn't be needing any additional Nannying going forward. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I installed a rubber holster for my phone. Im using a samsung note and its so big it wont fit in the cup holders and uncomfortable inside my side pockets.
No rattles and all kinds of phones will fit.
I like the location, is that phone holster?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I installed a rubber holster for my phone. Im using a samsung note and its so big it wont fit in the cup holders and uncomfortable inside my side pockets.
No rattles and all kinds of phones will fit.
I like the location, is that phone holster?
Yes, it is a phone holster. It originally came with vent clips but I removed it and doublesided taped it to my plastic trim.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, it is a phone holster. It originally came with vent clips but I removed it and doublesided taped it to my plastic trim.
Thanks, I think I'm going to look into this option. ;)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Go to the Pro Clip website and input your year/make and it will show you the different types of mounts. I have the magnetic mount and I love it. You can move the the phone to many angles. The part that attaches to your phone is just a flat round steel disc about the thickness of a dime and the diameter of a silver dollar. You really have to give a good pull to get it off. Won't move it all hitting the worst bumps. It comes with a few flat discs so you can use it on anything...ipods, GPS etc.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts