Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my new 2018 Challenger T/A April 28th, 2019. This car had been in inventory right around 400 days. Two of my concerns were
  • Tires having been possibly flat spotted due to sitting for extended periods without being driven. This issue turned into a non-issue as my salesman said they typically “freshened up” the lot by juggling the cars around every two weeks.
  • Juggling the cars around every two weeks then brought up my second concern....and that is the engine oil never getting up to temperature, and possible resulting condensation issues. My salesman was great, and basically I negotiated an oil filter and 7 quarts of oil with the purchase.
Today, at 2,745 miles, I got-r-done. My daughter cheerfully drove it on about a 10 mile round trip to thoroughly warm up the engine oil. From the way the T/A sounded when she left the entrance of the subdivision, about .2 miles away, a five mile round trip might have sufficed. :unsure:

I used a set of 2x12’s and some 6x6 post scraps for my ramps.

I used a 10mm socket for removal of the belly pan. After gaining access to the drain plug, I then used a 15mm socket for removal. I then went up top and loosened the oil fill cap. My strap wrench made the OEM filter removal as easy as removing a piece of filet mignon from your two front teeth. :geek: In another thread, I’d been given fair warning of this horrendous task. Easy peasy for me, as I’ve owned several RAM /Cummins trucks now, and in the past.

Immediately after removing the oil filter, I then cleaned the filter base, primed the new filter with oil, and installed the new filter. After allowing about an hour for draining, I then reinstalled the drain plug. I never had any issues with adding the recommended 7 quarts of oil in my previous 2010 Grand Cherokee HEMI Limited, but I did initially just add 6.5 quarts.

After verifying no leaks below, I then reinstalled the belly pan.

I checked the oil level, and it was low, so I added more oil in 8 oz. increments. My 5.7L took all 7 quarts, and was maybe 1/16” inch above the uppermost hole.

This was not really meant to be a “how to” but just a little, boring thread I created on a hot, August summer day.

Since we all like pics.....I’m attaching a few.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my only advice would be to get some decent ramps! never mcgyver safety equipment
Thanks for the concern. With that being said.....long ago I did my research and determined what the load capacity of southern white pine boards in this size. Additionally.....the board was only on top of a section of 6”x6” material. If you’ll look close enough....that 6”x6” is basically bearing the weight of the front end. Based on the weight distribution (F/R) and the capacity of each board, all is well. The amount of deflection in each board was minimal.

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
480 Posts
Awesome, Thanks GSbrockman. Looks good. Thanks for showing where the filter is. I plan on changing mine soon. I just rolled over 700 miles tonight, so I am getting close. I appreciate it !
Have a good one !
Parrott

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have 3, 2" x 6" boards nailed on top of each other. Each one is about 8" shorter than the next with a full 10" on the top one. I'd rather use them than other available plastic/stamped metal ramps.
Nice Ride!!!!!

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
307 Posts
Did my first oil change over the weekend. 3.6 V6. It was a PITA getting to the bolts in the rear of the plastic shield because of low profile ramps. Drain plug was so tight, I had to use a breaker bar so I replaced it with a new one with a rubber seal. I think I'm going to go with the oil extraction method next time. The filter canister on these is on the top so it should be a lot easier. B-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts