Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 2 months ago my radio acted up. Not the first time. I was sitting at a light and decided to turn the car off to reset the radio. Car would never start, had to get it towed to the dealer. Dealer tells me it needed an update to UConnect system. Did the update and everything APPEARED to be fine. My Mom was in town so I took her for a ride in the car on Sunday. Came home from work Monday and the boat WOULD NOT START!! Tried to jump it...No luck. So the car will have to be towed to the dealer again and 'no telling how long they will have it. It's a 2017 Scat Pack with 4,500 miles on it. I should not be experiencing these problems with a brand new car! I was thinking about upgrading to the Hellcat, but **** Dodge...My daily driver(2007 Monte Carlo) hasn't given me as many problems as this brand new car. Has anyone experienced similar problems with their car? I really like this car, But unfortunately I may have to get rid of her.

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
I wouldn't get discouraged. Sure, it is frustrating but some new cars have "bugs" that have to be worked out. Many of us, including myself, have never had problems with their Challengers. Your car is under warranty. Let the dealer find and fix your problems. If you lack confidence in your dealer, find another one.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
When you think about it, its amazing that today's cars operate as well as they do with 10's of thousands of parts in them!
I'd give it some more time before you sell her, it's a fantastic ride as you know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like you might have a cable issue. Hopefully they find a bad wire harness or connector. The problem with those is that they can be very intermittent and difficult to track down.

Did you try to jump the car because your battery was dead? Is the radio "acting up" meaning it turns off? A good dealership should be able to find the cause and resolve the problem.

Dont let one little wire keep you from enjoying your awesome car. Have the dealer resolve it and enjoy what you bought!

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,463 Posts
You describe a few occurrences, admittedly aggravating occurrences, in 4500 miles of driving. Seems like you have an awfully itchy trigger finger to sign it off already. I’m with you, I’d be irritated right now, but not to the knee jerk decision to sell it off. Hope it works out for you....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had lots of problems with my 2016 Hellcat and it only has 2,900 miles on it. I bought it just for a Sunday fun car, but it has been very frustrating with all the non-stop little glitches - great muscle car, with great power train when it is running, but when I compare it to some of my other cars, it looks cheap in many areas, like paint, fit and finish, and interior materials. I will keep it for awhile longer but then probably get rid of it. Chrysler has gone through so many changes and corporate owners, it is no wonder their quality control, reliability and re-sale is so bad. They have always been at the bottom in those areas of the big 3, and that has not changed over the years, even though they have come out with some earth shaking cars that had great possibilities. Good luck with your car- I wish you the best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had muscle cars since my new 1968 426 Hemi Charger R/T, and not much has changed with Dodge over the years in the reliability department. As far as guys buying muscles cars or Harley's to be cool - why would anyone buy a Harley when there are Big Dogs, and custom builds by people like the Martin Bros, Jesse James and all the others, same reason people buy Hellcats and Demons - because they can!

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
My 2011 has over 60 thousand very hard miles on her, the last 10+ thousand miles have been with a 2.3L
blower living on top of the 6.4. The only issues I've had with my car were recall items (touch sensitive door
handles, first year issues, smart window sensors) all replaced free under warranty. *Shrugs* sometimes you
just get a lemon I guess. Like others have said, with all of the tech that is in modern cars it's a wonder any of
them ever work AT ALL! :)

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
2016 cat blues

I have had lots of problems with my 2016 Hellcat and it only has 2,900 miles on it. I bought it just for a Sunday fun car, but it has been very frustrating with all the non-stop little glitches - great muscle car, with great power train when it is running, but when I compare it to some of my other cars, it looks cheap in many areas, like paint, fit and finish, and interior materials. I will keep it for awhile longer but then probably get rid of it. Chrysler has gone through so many changes and corporate owners, it is no wonder their quality control, reliability and re-sale is so bad. They have always been at the bottom in those areas of the big 3, and that has not changed over the years, even though they have come out with some earth shaking cars that had great possibilities. Good luck with your car- I wish you the best.
Could you name a few of the issues you have had with your 2016 CAT?
I have one also and am interested.>:)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have had muscle cars since my new 1968 426 Hemi Charger R/T, and not much has changed with Dodge over the years in the reliability department. As far as guys buying muscles cars or Harley's to be cool - why would anyone buy a Harley when there are Big Dogs, and custom builds by people like the Martin Bros, Jesse James and all the others, same reason people buy Hellcats and Demons - because they can!
Not to hijack the thread, but bikers have a term for those types of people :) And it ain't one of respect.

Personally, I have two. One is a 1979 FLH, the other I built in my garage. Paying someone for a $100K art piece is OK, if that's your thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I could not agree more. Although I also have a 2016 Z06 3LT that has never given me 1 issue, and you cannot get more technologically advanced than a car like that. It also runs faster than my Hellcat, due to the huge weight differences and 50/50 balance ratio, aerodynamics, downforce, etc. These new cars and everything else in our lives, depend on electronics for everything, if the Sun ever sends a large solar flare our way, we are all screwed.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
While I get most the comments about let the dealer fix it or take it to another dealer. I guarantee if most was In his shoes you would feel the exact same way. Pissed upset and ready to throw In the towel
The purpose of s new car is YOUR OWN no issues no anything brand new car. Not problematic and headaches. With that said it is a machine. Parts are not always the same. Software is not always good. And let’s face it. People on the production line get lazy sometimes. So stuff good bad or indifferent happens. It is s tuff call. Do you like the car that much to continue down what could or couldn’t be a tuff path ? If so then dredge forward. If not I would suggest move on and move forward .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had them all down through the years and the best chopper I ever had was a Big Dog, now defunct, that ran circles around any Harley I ever owned, with at least twice the horsepower and a much better engine and transmission, and years ahead in the looks department with full billet everything. Harley has been behind the design curve and performance curve for decades - but they have a loyal following. That is why they make chocolate and vanilla, one persons beauty is another's dog.

·
Registered
328 Posts
PHP:
I have had them all down through the years and the best chopper I ever had was a Big Dog, now defunct, that ran circles around any Harley I ever owned, with at least twice the horsepower and a much better engine and transmission, and years ahead in the looks department with full billet everything. Harley has been behind the design curve and performance curve for decades - but they have a loyal following. That is why they make chocolate and vanilla, one persons beauty is another's dog.
I may talk shit about Chevys and Fords, but I never talk shit about another mans freedom to choose. The clone bike craze came and went. People paid a lot of money for some of them. You can pretty easily build a high HP harley motor, but they all start with the Moco's design.

My FLH has billet heads on it. My custom was built from a Buell version of the Sportster motor. I spank the hell out of a lot of big inch bikes with it, since it only weights 500lbs...and all anyone ever see's is a Sporty motor.

But F it, back to Mopars!

I've had maybe 30 cars/trucks over the years. Four or so that weren't a Mopar. I guess you can call me brand loyal.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Challenger T/A Plus
77 Posts
To the original poster,

Don't give into frustration. Not yet at least. I have been there with these cars. My first one 2014 R/T 100th Anniversary had the clutch go out at 5015 miles and 15 months. Should have been screwed as I was past the 12 month window for warranty. But I had a good dealer that I had a great purchase history with and a fantastic tech who went to bat for me with dodge. In the end it was covered and never had another problem with that car. I now have a 17 T/A Plus. It had similar problems to yours with the no start and display going out or not coming on at roughly 5000 mi. I have the 8.4 screen but no navigation. They tried to reflash to no avail. Had to order a new one with latest update. Took 2 week, but car has been trouble free.

Be patient, be nice, deep breaths. It will work out. Keep paperwork, dates, names and times who you talked too. Call family and see how many car you all have bought from Chrysler, er Mercedes, er Fiat, or whatever the color or bird of the week it is.... it matters to keep repeat customers happy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Intermittent electrical problems

In 1985 I bought a new Buick Grand National. I lived on Oahu Hawaii, at the time. The first weekend I was up at Northshore, atthe beach. When I got into my car to gohome it would not start. It had to betowed to the dealership. The car spent two days at the dealership andthey could not recreate the non-start problem and gave me the car back. This cycle of nonstarter, towing, no problem occurreda total 3times and I was very frustrated. The fourth time it finally did the non-start thing for the service people. They found a pin in an electrical cable thatran the electric fuel pump making intermittent contact and fixed it. We drove that car for 7 years and never hadthat problem again. Intermittentelectrical problems are hard to troubleshoot and repair.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have about 5k miles on my 2017 R/T with the 5.7L

NO problems whatsoever so far the car is amazing. I will say the radio did crash and just turn off once, but I was able to re-start it while driving and hasn't been an issue since.

The push button starter also confuses me sometimes, having come from a key sometimes I push it to just turn accessories on or to turn it off after and cant get it to shut off or it will try to turn over on me. That's a user error thing and I am getting better at figuring it out.

I figure the crummy warranty and iffy fit/finish level (obviously not up to Ford/GM standard) are the penalty we pay for having some of the best looking, most fun/cool cars on the road right now. The fun factor is definitely the "market differentiation" these days for Chrysler vs the other big two US automakers.

Ford's are about as reliable as a Honda these days, but they are also a little on the boring/vanilla side and they are also getting pretty EXPENSIVE for American cars...

My take is Chrysler's should be mostly (very) reliable and are maybe 4-7 years behind Ford at most in the reliability and fit/finish department. And that's not bad! Take care of these cars, regular maintenance, oil changes, etc. and they should last forever.

Thats my plan anyway!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I have about 5k miles on my 2017 R/T with the 5.7L

NO problems whatsoever so far the car is amazing. I will say the radio did crash and just turn off once, but I was able to re-start it while driving and hasn't been an issue since.

The push button starter also confuses me sometimes, having come from a key sometimes I push it to just turn accessories on or to turn it off after and cant get it to shut off or it will try to turn over on me. That's a user error thing and I am getting better at figuring it out.

I figure the crummy warranty and iffy fit/finish level (obviously not up to Ford/GM standard) are the penalty we pay for having some of the best looking, most fun/cool cars on the road right now. The fun factor is definitely the "market differentiation" these days for Chrysler vs the other big two US automakers.

Ford's are about as reliable as a Honda these days, but they are also a little on the boring/vanilla side and they are also getting pretty EXPENSIVE for American cars...

My take is Chrysler's should be mostly (very) reliable and are maybe 4-7 years behind Ford at most in the reliability and fit/finish department. And that's not bad! Take care of these cars, regular maintenance, oil changes, etc. and they should last forever.

Thats my plan anyway!
I drove mine 3 weeks and took the finance guy up on his KILLER 8 year warranty. So.......... I have long range plans too!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts