Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today, December 10, 2013 is a day that I knew would come, but dreaded like a bad dream. I awoke to a dusting of snow that soon accumulated to a few inches. No problem I thought to myself, as I gazed out the window and watched as winter slowly descended from the sky. But just as I sipped my morning cup of joe, that unmistakable sound of metal skids scraping the pavement, the feel of vibrations running through my kitchen, and the atrocious sight of that dreaded SALT SPREADER doing what it does best! Yup. It was here. The time has come. "Christine" is officially put to bed for the year. Winter came to soon-spring can't come any sooner.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Left Long Island 11 years ago, I don't miss those snowy, slushy, black-snot hanging off of your car days at all!!!! Living in Florida, I don't worry too much about snow plows and their salty droppings. I have, on occasion, had to worry about hurricane and tropical storm flooding though.

With your car put away, at least it's protected from the idiots who forget how to drive in the snow every year!!!

One thing that still gets me though, it's hard to get into the Christmas spirit this year, when it's still in the 80's everyday and I'm running the AC in both the house and the car.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
I was expecting a lot worse when i got to the "unmistakable sound of metal" part..almost died. Aha Expected something more like… when i heard the unmistakable sound of metal TEARING APART MY CHALLENGER AND SPREAD ITS SCRAP ALL THE DOWN THE ROAD.
Glad it turned out the way it did and not like my mind original thought!

Shifty

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
I here you it's Hot down here. Where is the happy medium?
Raleigh, NC. No salt. Every once in a while they will pretreat the road with brine. Maybe once a year. The weather is pretty mild and a little humid in the summer.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Snow has come early here in Ohio.... My Challenger is in the garage.... Thought I could get a couple of extra driving weeks out of it before I put it up in storage for Winter... I was wrong. The roads are dry today and tomorrow so I will be taking it to a heated car storage facility for the Winter tomorrow.

·
Supporting Vendors
1,246 Posts
I hate having "covered" parking....I miss the glory days with the two-car garage I had all to myself.

Every time I wash my car here it rains within the next 48 hours...I need to move to AZ!

Nick C.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I don't understand still using salt on roads. I'm sure its economics compared to some of the less corrosive de-icers available now. Salt is cheap, I guess calcium chloride and magnesium chloride are still just a bit too expensive for some areas where a lot would have to be used every year. And they're still a little corrosive. Sure would be nice if something similar to aircraft deicing fluid (usually propylene glycol) could be used more on highways.

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
We got out 2" of snow Monday Night into Tuesday. Last night it got down to 22 and it left us with nice slippery icy conditions overnight on the roads.

I keep mine off the roads if there is Snow and Ice covering the roads. Since I looked out and saw some pavement here and there down our road, I took mine to work today.

I started on 2nd gear in auto at every stop, turned very slowly at every turn. The whole way in I was looking ahead and watching where everyone was around me. The highway was clear and dry but never went above 55mph. Today things are melting with the sun out so we'll see.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Is Brine bad for cars? Compared to salt? Thanks
Brine is nothing more than salty water. So, both are bad for cars.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Thought the same when you said "metal" noise, oh no!

Denver here and we are just getting out of the deep freeze, car has been covered up in the garage for over a week and I don't plan on bringing it out for some time! :mecry:
Can't wait for spring and its not even Winter offically yet!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Brine

Yea I didn't Brine was anything good at least I see less snow in TN.I never heard of Brine until I moved from Boston to Tn. I have to believe it is better than Rock Salt being slung at my Mopar from a plow truck!
I don't miss the snow of N.E.:as-crash::clap:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yea I didn't Brine was anything good at least I see less snow in TN.I never heard of Brine until I moved from Boston to Tn. I have to believe it is better than Rock Salt being slung at my Mopar from a plow truck!
I don't miss the snow of N.E.:as-crash::clap:
Granted my car is in the garage and will likely stay there till April but I don't mind the snow as much as the freezing rain. My driveway has at least a 1/4" of ice that's been on it for 3 days and looking at the forecast I'm thinking it'll be there for at least another week... :headbang:

Take it easy
Jay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts