Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon I pulled the front tire to install my splash guards. I started nosing around and cleaning up a bit. The more I looked the more I found. I was surprised to see how much road gravel had accumulated in the well area against the inner fender. I see future corrosion problems for owners years down the road. This cavity should have a flap covering it. I also pulled the inner fender well and found another problem area.

2014 R/T 14K miles, 3 season car, i avoid driving in the rain, parked outside.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a cross section of that area. As road gravel accumulates in the seam cavity, it will grind away at the sheet metal as it gets lodged and works it's way in between the sheet metal panels. Road vibration as the car travels will aggravate the problem. Add road salt and BAM! Goodbye sheet metal.

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
if you flush with high pressure water nozzle in the at area in front of door jamb / lower fender, it would flush that out.

That's a common area for "washing maintenance" as this same buildup of debris (tree litter, etc) would rust out the lower fenders on older cars, which was common.

Especially on cars parked outside and under trees.

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
You can fix the surface rust issue on the suspension parts by painting them with black Rust-O-leum. That is what I did and it looks great.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
PSA Announcement

The point of my post was to show 2 things that other owners may not be aware of.

1. The photo below with the blue arrows shows a 'well' area pocket that is easily accessible when the front tire is removed. On my car that area had a crazy amount of road gravel in it.

2. The area at the bottom of the fender which collect debris on most cars, is not readily accessible on the 2014 challenger as shown in the photo below. On my Chevy Tahoe, Jeep, and C1500 pickup I can easily clean out that area with my shop vac when I fully open the door. On the R/T, not so much. As a matter of fact, you can't see anything. And if you can't see it, it must not be there. :icon_biggrin:

My Tahoe

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can fix the surface rust issue on the suspension parts by painting them with black Rust-O-leum. That is what I did and it looks great.
yup, gone through many cans of rustoleum spray bombing the undercarriage of my jeep

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,596 Posts
Yeah the challengers seem to rust way to easily. The wife's 2013 GC has seen 4 years of salty Chicago winters and only some bolts and driveshafts show minor surface rust. My 2015 challenger saw 1 yr of winter (previous owner) and the cradle, springs, engine block, control arms and links, door hinges all have significant surface rust. First thing I did was to completely scrub and pressure wash as much of the under carriage as I could. There is a lot of spots the just accumulate road dirt/salt.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you flush with high pressure water nozzle in the at area in front of door jamb / lower fender, it would flush that out.

That's a common area for "washing maintenance" as this same buildup of debris (tree litter, etc) would rust out the lower fenders on older cars, which was common.

Especially on cars parked outside and under trees.
how did you do that on your challenger? on my car that area is sealed off.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To further illustrate my point, the area with the yellow scribble shows the backside of the lower doorjamb area. It's sealed off with a flexible panel, hence no access for cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
how did you do that on your challenger? on my car that area is sealed off.
I'll adjust the amount the door is open, and in that area in front of the door (toward the fender liner) d blast the area with a nozzle to flush out any debris.

You can do this from the outside face of the door, angled toward where fender meets rocker.

Another spot is to pry (carefully) on the cowl trim where it fits to top of fender. You then can direct force of water nozzle downward to flush out that way. The force of water and flow will probably carry away gravel, grit and leaves that get in there.

If you have a trim puller tool, that little plastic retainer can be removed to make access to that cowl trim easier. There's one on left /right sides of the cowl trim.

When I rotate the tires (every 6K) I'll clean the wheel well / suspension areas in there when the wheel is off. Amounts to about 1x / year for me.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,596 Posts
I'll adjust the amount the door is open, and in that area in front of the door (toward the fender liner) d blast the area with a nozzle to flush out any debris.

You can do this from the outside face of the door, angled toward where fender meets rocker.

Another spot is to pry (carefully) on the cowl trim where it fits to top of fender. You then can direct force of water nozzle downward to flush out that way. The force of water and flow will probably carry away gravel, grit and leaves that get in there.

If you have a trim puller tool, that little plastic retainer can be removed to make access to that cowl trim easier. There's one on left /right sides of the cowl trim.

When I rotate the tires (every 6K) I'll clean the wheel well / suspension areas in there when the wheel is off. Amounts to about 1x / year for me.
My inner fender area by the door hinge is blocked with a black cover. I can push it forward a little but not enough blow out all the crud.

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
258 Posts
did the drivers side this morning

Hey Sudz, glade you brought this up, in 2012 I bought my 2010 challenger, so it was without mud flaps for two years, when I threw on the flaps I only had a little dirt as in your pics..............just traded the car in on a 2017 GT.

Usually I keep a pretty good eye on it.............but this is where I had some rust issues.........so lets say I made it for 6-7 years before this popped up. Now this is my everyday driver and I'm up in WI, where they believe more salt on the road is better.

Now I'm gonna check mine every 4-5 months.

Thanks for the heads up

Rich

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts