Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the new Mopar aluminum 426 coming out I figured I should offer our own version. In doing this, I decided to do a 440 instead. Our 440 uses the same proven crankshaft as the 426, but with a larger 4.145" bore to achieve 440 cubic inches. When used with a ported 6.1 intake and 90mm throttle body, this combo is capable of 650hp/650tq. Why pay more for a 426 that makes 100 less hp and no warranty. Our longblocks come with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty when installed and tuned by an authorized installer/tuner.

Authorized locations include.
Performance Werks Racing
(256)275-1464

Mr Norms
(815)636-2784

American Racing Technology
(512)312-2258

SVS R&D
(916)489-3072

Ditos Motors
(650)991-0400

Modern Muscle (Martinsville, VA)
(276)663-1555

After Hours Mopar Performance
(954)553-2342

Southern Hotrod
(888)BIG-HEMI

Westbury Jeep
[email protected]

PWR Aluminum 440 Shortblock

This is not an introductory offer but an everyday low price. Longblock includes everything needed for install with the exception of the timing cover, oil pan, coil packs, and intake manifold. We can supply a ported 6.1 intake if desired. ATI Balancer of your choice also included. Due to the nature of the availability surrounding aluminum blocks and the 4-6 week delivery time on custom pistons, expect to wait 8-12 weeks once purchased. I expect this timeline to greatly decrease as blocks become more readily available.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Dangit Andy, you need an authorized dealer/installed in Colorado. If you did, I'd be first in line for one of these.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
For as big as Denver is and with having a NHRA sanctioned track along with other smaller tracks it sure don't seem to have the shops around to do the work. I went there for my Maggie install and didn't really get a quality install job IMO. Maybe there is one and I haven't found it yet??

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
There isn't one that I've found. It's aggravating as hell. S'why I keep prompting Andy to set up a shop here... there seems to be no really good Mopar tuners in the area. (POKE POKE Andy! :) ) I have horror stories around the one I used for all my work, and Andy was right there with me helping get through it. We though we'd found a good "authorized installer" who turned out to be horrible.

Funny I never realized you were up in WY there Boatman. You should come down to one of our mini meets or come visit one of these days.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Can you post the stroke on that 426 crank you are using?

I'm guessing a forged 440ci, and a 3.6L Kenne Bell would put over 800rwhp to the tires. Holy wow, the stuff of dreams right there. That much power woudl be useless on the street.. but great at the track.

And what is the cost of this monster?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4.05" is the stroke we use.

We have already seen 1000rwhp/1000rwtq from a 3.6L KB on a 426, the 440 will match that no problem and with a few psi of boost less.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

We have already seen 1000rwhp/1000rwtq from a 3.6L KB on a 426, the 440 will match that no problem and with a few psi of boost less.
I'd read that going up to 440ci can really wear on the longevity of the engine with the stroke being equal or larger than the bore.

Your combination sounds better by going with a larger bore. What do you think about the longevity of this package?

I'm in the middle of a sale on my 1969 Dodge Charger R/T SE to raise the funds for a KB 3.6L for my 2010 6.1L. Is that 650hp quoted crank, or rwhp? If it's rwhp, then I may just reconsider the KB, and give the 440 some serious thought. I wouldn't have to worry about the land rings coming apart on me down the road.

Problem is, I have the time to get the work done in early February, takes months to plan a week off work for me. It may be some time before I could get enough time to shoot the car to Mr. Norms... but I guess more time to plan.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The longevity of this motor will outlast the iron block 426 since its the same stroke but larger bore. The 426 is a 75,000 mile motor IMO and I would put the aluminum 440 in that same category until more testing is done. Theoretically it will last longer, but theory isnt always correct.

650hp is at the crank. We could do 650rwhp, but it will require more rpm, more aggressive cam, and a sheet-metal intake. It wouldnt be very streetable.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts

where? on a dnyo?
please show us one driving down a track.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
The longevity of this motor will outlast the iron block 426 since its the same stroke but larger bore. The 426 is a 75,000 mile motor IMO and I would put the aluminum 440 in that same category until more testing is done. Theoretically it will last longer, but theory isnt always correct.

650hp is at the crank. We could do 650rwhp, but it will require more rpm, more aggressive cam, and a sheet-metal intake. It wouldnt be very streetable.
those cylender walls look mighty thin, they look like their rubbing together.
it will be interesting to see how long they stay together.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Andy can you post a 426 and a 440 pic next to each other so we can see the difference in the cylender walls?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
where? on a dnyo?
please show us one driving down a track.
Where else can you measure hp/tq at the rear wheels? Of course a dyno.

Here is a 3.6L on a 426 going down the track.

those cylender walls look mighty thin, they look like their rubbing together.
it will be interesting to see how long they stay together.
They are rubbing together? Thats the design from Mopar. You cant change the sleeves.

Andy can you post a 426 and a 440 pic next to each other so we can see the difference in the cylinder walls?

Also FWIW, the aluminum 440 has thicker walls than the Iron 426. They are actually Siamese bores which makes them allot thicker to be exact.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Calculations come up with 437.2 cubic inches... :scratchhead:
The original 440 we built used a 4.08" K-1 crank with a 4.145" bore which came out to 440ci. Once we moved to the 4.05" crank, in order to get 440 cubes we would need a 4.155" bore. I would rather have cylinder wall thickness than 3 cubic inches. If it is an NA version, actual cubic inches is 446 since we use a 4.185" bore and 437 if its a boosted engine.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
My N/A build uses 4.05 crank and 4.145 pistons at 11.5 to 1. Is that still the plan, Andy?

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Ok so sometimes I miss things like price but don't think I did this time. How about a price on this, MOPAR says 13k crate, which appears to be pan to throttle body, so how is this gonna compare price wise? Inquiring minds wanna know!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so sometimes I miss things like price but don't think I did this time. How about a price on this, MOPAR says 13k crate, which appears to be pan to throttle body, so how is this gonna compare price wise? Inquiring minds wanna know!

$12,116

That does not include the manifold, tb, pan, or timing cover. If you want those items, you can call it $13,000.

Most people already have those, so we left them off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts