Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gas is leaking on the passenger side right behind the front wheeland under the passenger side seat. I ran over something on the freeway and Immediately went from a ful tank on gas to 1/4. When I got home I looked under the car and saw a rip in some tank right under the passenger side seat. What is that part called and how much does it cost? Should I call my insurace or pay for it myself? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I'd take it to the dealership and see what they say and get an estimate. From there if it is quite expensive call your insurance agent. Find out what your deductible is as it might be better off to pay out of pocket than make an actual claim. Not sure if it would even be covered either.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
If it's leaking gas or even smells like it I'ld have it towed to the dealership. If not you might have a big insurance claim if you get out of the car in time. I'm not sure how Dodge roadside assisyance is but I know Chevy's (I know a bad word) tow cars in for free if they are less than 3 years old even if it's not a warranty covered repair.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Man, that sucks! Our fuel tanks are plastic bladders, aren't they? Good for some things, but also more vulnerable to road hazards?...I dunno- just floating a thought out there for consideration.

What do you think is the best thing to do if you see strips of wood on the road and nowhere to swerve in time? Do you aim to let it go down the middle and hope it doesn't sweep up to hit anything down below or do you keep it stomped down with the tires?

Large rock debris can be problematic. Definitely don't want to hit it with a tire, but if you let it go down the middle, you might hear a thud as it hits "something" (that actually happened to me).

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Patch it!! They sell a putty that works really well
Sorry but I will completely disagree with this DIY solution. This is the fuel with is highly combustible.

Have the car towed immediately to the dealer and have their shop take a look at it. It may be something as simple as a hole in a hose or it may be the actual tank. In either case if you just DIY it then let me just say..............BOOM :smokin:

In either case the shop will be best able to fix what ever was injured and get you back on the road properly.

·
Registered
448 Posts
seanjohn,
Don't mess around with this or take chances...have it towed (flatbedded) to your dealer.
The FIX hopefully may not be as bad as you think.
...Seamaster...

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
I just did a quick search on Google and it looks like you are looking at $500 for the tank approximately plus install labor. That price is for an OEM tank.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
It's a long shot but if your going thru your insurance see if you can claim the $50 in gas that spilled out.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Car you insurance company... as this should be covered under your comprehensive part of your policy. Now, depending on your deductible it could still cost a coin out of pocket to fix.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If you have comprehensive, you probably have towing. Also, no one said, but I guess it goes without saying don't store the car inside a garage.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Sorry but I will completely disagree with this DIY solution. This is the fuel with is highly combustible.

Have the car towed immediately to the dealer and have their shop take a look at it. It may be something as simple as a hole in a hose or it may be the actual tank. In either case if you just DIY it then let me just say..............BOOM :smokin:

In either case the shop will be best able to fix what ever was injured and get you back on the road properly.
seanjohn,
Don't mess around with this or take chances...have it towed (flatbedded) to your dealer.
The FIX hopefully may not be as bad as you think.
...Seamaster...
ha! bunch of chickens! ive patched a tank before. in my old challenger no less. sucker worked for another 15 years before I sold it. that was an old rusty metal tank. should be simple easy fix on a new plastic tank- so i thought. then i googled it. Seems its not so easy to fix a plastic tank.

so fuggetaboutit and replace it

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
ha! bunch of chickens! ive patched a tank before. in my old challenger no less. sucker worked for another 15 years before I sold it. that was an old rusty metal tank. should be simple easy fix on a new plastic tank- so i thought. then i googled it. Seems its not so easy to fix a plastic tank.

so fuggetaboutit and replace it

Yeah I may be a chicken but at least I am a live chicken and not roasted on the BBQ. :smokin:

·
Registered
538 Posts
I ran over something about weeks ago as well, a tire tread from a truck to be specific. It ripped a small hole in my tank (pin hole size) and I could smell gas. The tank will set you back through your dealership by $575, if they say more like my dealer did then argue with them. My dealership tried charging me $798 for a tank but I got it at there cost which is $575. Labor will run you around $300 from a dealership. They have to remove all of the exhaust and the drive shaft to get to the tank and at that price I felt it was worth it. The job took about 1 hour to complete. Now here is the not so fun part. All gas tanks are on backorder so even if you find it on some site it will still be on backorder. I had to wait 3 weeks and that was after calling Dodge and complaining. Dodge was reluctant to give me a rental car. They said it wasnt their fault I ripped my tank but after arguing that it is their fault that a part is on backorder they agreed. Expect a delay on this fix and expect to spend near $1000 to get it done right. Yes it sucks but that is how it goes. Oh and dont try the quick fix patch, it doesnt work, that gas eats through most anything. Let us know the outcome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts