Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week, some ******* pulled out in front of my 2019 challenger rt scat pack 1320 that hasn't even had its first oil change, 3,800 miles on it. It's a one of one... my airbags, absolutely none of them deployed. I T-boned them and then we went across 4 lanes of highway into a guardrail. Exactly 1 week before I got an update from uconnect that there were no problems including airbags. Just wanted to let everyone know. I was lucky and only have a broken left hand from steering wheel upon impact. My car held her own, considering... the 99 geo prism that pulled out in front of me, well that's a different story I watched it crinkle up in to a teepee and all 3 passengers had to be cut out and 1 had to be air lifted...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Blue
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Blue
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Crash
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Blue
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Hood
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Performance car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Hood
Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper Hood
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Classic car

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
That sucks, good thing is you're alright except the wrist being broken. Has your insurance said anything to you about it yet?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a witness behind me, it OBVIOUSLY wasn't my fault. We both had state farm, they are still waiting to speak to the other driver, who is still in the hospital. I hope the frame wasn't messed up, but if they total it I'm gonna get a 2020 50th edition widebody scat...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My chest still hurts from the steering wheel and my knee went in the dash but I was very lucky to walk away with just a broken hand.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
So sorry to hear that, and happy that your injuries were not worse. I always hate to see a crumbled Challenger. It is surprising no airbags deployed with that impact...

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
873 Posts
Glad to hear that you're mostly okay.

Good to see that the car absorbed most of the impact. Stunned that the airbags didn't deploy, but that could be a blessing disguise.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
970 Posts
Glad your injury's are not as severe as they could have been. Hope you do well with the insurance settlement.

Reactions: Criddysangrybee

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
I had a witness behind me, it OBVIOUSLY wasn't my fault. We both had state farm, they are still waiting to speak to the other driver, who is still in the hospital. I hope the frame wasn't messed up, but if they total it I'm gonna get a 2020 50th edition widebody scat...
Sorry to hear about your accident, and glad you’re basically fine.

I‘d think that those airbags should have deployed, but I’m far from an expert.

It might be time to lawyer up and have this investigated more thoroughly by an expert; you may wind up in a 50th Anniversary, a Hellcat, a RedEye, and a Hellcat Charger.

Reactions: Criddysangrybee

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
4,910 Posts
Sorry to hear about this but nice to know you weren't hurt worse. I hope you heal up quickly and everything works out for you with insurance and all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to hear about your accident, and glad you’re basically fine.

I‘d think that those airbags should have deployed, but I’m far from an expert.

It might be time to lawyer up and have this investigated more thoroughly by an expert; you may wind up in a 50th Anniversary, a Hellcat, a RedEye, and a Hellcat Charger.
Oh yeah I got a lawyer already!!!

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, take care of yourself and hopefully your lawyer will be able to take care of the rest for you.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
Oh yeah I got a lawyer already!!!
Sorry to read about your accident. And too bad about your broken hand but it could have been worse. I broke a leg (3 places) in a crash years ago. And it could have been worse -- I could have broken both legs -- but that still didn't change the fact the leg hurt like Hell and it took me 14 weeks (after surgery) before I was back to near normal.

So a broken hand is still no walk in the park even if you could have suffered a worse injury.

The airbags not deploying can be explained, is explained, by simply because the impact was not severe enough. Your car's nose crumpled. And the car you hit also presented a pretty soft "target". Small light weight car. And the impact being in the side of the car meant the car offered about as little resistance as it could to your car. The g-forces resulting were not severe enough did not spike fast enough to trigger a deployment.

(In the case of my Cayman S which was "t-boned" by another car the air bags deployed. But when hit my car was stationary.)

Air bags failing to deploy is a pretty rare event. More common -- but still rare -- is a deployment when there is no impact. (In one case a driver had a 2-way radio swinging over the steering wheel air bag and the air bag deployed.)

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
Doesn't really look like an accident to me, looks, and sounds like an act of stupidity. I would love to see the damage on the other car. Please let us know who gets cited for this.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Sorry. Take care. Please keep us updated dated. I too have seen air bag deployment in what seemed to be a very minor collision.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,433 Posts
While it’s great to hear you weren’t more seriously injured, I would say it is miraculous that a modern day Challenger collided with a ‘99 Geo Prism and the occupants of the Prism survived at all.

I’ve never ridden in a Prism, mostly because I would never fit in one, but I have helped pick one up and move it (there were 4 of us), so I know they have very little mass.

To think that one could be hit by a 4300 lb car and not split open like a ripe watermelon is frankly quite astonishing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts