Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after adding a Vortech to the SRT this weekend, I added a Boost/Vacuum and Electric Fuel Pressure Guage to the pillar. Only problem is I could find no way to tap into the fuel rail as it doesn't have a port for a guage.

So I was thinking I was going to have to buy expensive fuel rails to get a port to tap the guage into. After a little research, I found what I think will work. I found a Russell part number, RUS-640730. It's just a male to female EFI fitting with a 1/8" NPT female in between for the guage sender.

Ordered it for Wednesday so I'll post results, but I'm pretty confident I have a winner. Not that I wouldn't want new billet fuel rails, but after the SC, I need to be a little frugal for a while.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Would love to know if that works as I'm in the same boat...

Not sure if the back fuel line has the same size coupler on both ends (top and bottom). Seem to remember someone saying that the bottom one is smaller than the top one. Due to the way the upper fuel rail connection is done vertically it will have to be added down below, so if the sizes are different it will effect fitment. In that case I guess you could add a pressure line and run it up near the motor if you're doing a gauge, or just connect your gauges pressure sensor to it without and you'd be fine. I'm interested in adding an under hood gauge.

And i here you on the rails and money, I'm in a financial time out for awhile, a good long while!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would love to know if that works as I'm in the same boat...
We'll know Wednesday. As soon as I get home from work and install it...HOPEFULLY! I'll post results but I have a good feeling.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Post back let us know how it did. Youll like the vortech. I am pleased so far myself.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Post back let us know how it did. Youll like the vortech. I am pleased so far myself.
So far I like the Vortech but it was raining this weekend so it was a no go for any "Testing" so to speak. I have a work truck so the Challenger sits in the garage most of the time.

The wife and I are going to Marathon for their 35th annual seafood festival this weekend and the weather is supposed to be awesome so I will know more then :).

The Russell adapter is coming tomorrow and as soon as it works or doesn't (After I get home from work) I will post the findings.

I was thinking about drilling and tapping one of the ends of the stock fuel rails, but the metal doesn't look that thick so I figured better off this way. We'll see.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well, after adding a Vortech to the SRT this weekend, I added a Boost/Vacuum and Electric Fuel Pressure Guage to the pillar. Only problem is I could find no way to tap into the fuel rail as it doesn't have a port for a guage.

So I was thinking I was going to have to buy expensive fuel rails to get a port to tap the guage into. After a little research, I found what I think will work. I found a Russell part number, RUS-640730. It's just a male to female EFI fitting with a 1/8" NPT female in between for the guage sender.

Ordered it for Wednesday so I'll post results, but I'm pretty confident I have a winner. Not that I wouldn't want new billet fuel rails, but after the SC, I need to be a little frugal for a while.
I responded to your other thread with the correct adapter needed.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...-tap-fuel-electric-fuel-pressure-guage-53530/
The Russell one won't work, if you mount it at the firewall connection.The Russell one is 3/8,you need 5/16.The factory line goes from 5/16 to 3/8 at the rail.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I responded to your other thread with the correct adapter needed.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...-tap-fuel-electric-fuel-pressure-guage-53530/
The Russell one won't work, if you mount it at the firewall connection.The Russell one is 3/8,you need 5/16.The factory line goes from 5/16 to 3/8 at the rail.
Well then it will work. As long as the female is 3/8", all this is is a 3/8" male to 3/8" female with a 1/8" npt female in between. And it's not that ugly looking. As far as I can figure, they'll be plenty of room for the added length of it also.

I know you posted that (And I appreciate it) but I really don't want a cobbled together looking bunch of adapters under the hood either.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bad Rich. That is the same thing as I am getting, only tapping it at the rail rather than at the firewall.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well then it will work. As long as the female is 3/8", all this is is a 3/8" male to 3/8" female with a 1/8" npt female in between. And it's not that ugly looking. As far as I can figure, they'll be plenty of room for the added length of it also.

I know you posted that (And I appreciate it) but I really don't want a cobbled together looking bunch of adapters under the hood either.
My install is very clean,Unplugged 5/16 line at firewall,plugged in adapter,plugged factory line into adapter...done.Can't evan see it back against the firewall.Your set up will have to be installed at the rail connection,and it will sit 3 inches up in the air.Also the sensor and wiring will have to hang there.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It IS half the price though. :)

I'll post pix after I install it tomorrow.

So for everyone else's benefit, if you are looking to hook up a fuel pressure guage or have a place to tap into to get fuel for a Nitrous Kit, here are your 2 choices:

Nitrous Express' adapter to tap factory Fuel Line at the firewall

Nitrous Express 16185 Nitrous Express Fuel Line Adapters

Russell's Adapter to tap At the fuel rail connection

Russell Performance 640730 - Russell Push-On EFI Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Thanks RICHSRT8 for your input into this! We went from having to buy fuel rails to accomplish this to 2 OTHER choices. Gotta love this board! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought that same Russel fitting,it's too big,you would kink the fuel line when trying to plug it into the 3/8 fuel rail fitting.The hood may hit the fuel line if the fitting is plugged into the rail.The fuel sender & wiring will be out in the open also.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to Nitrous Express' Website and Summit, this fitting is 3/8". That is the same size as the one I have coming so I guess I can use it in the "Firewall" location.

Are you sure it is 5/16" Rich? I saw this on Summit first and went to NX website to double check and it does say 3/8".

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yeah, People forget the fuel line fitting on the rail is vertical.That's why I used the smaller fitting at the firewall.You need some slack in the fuel line for when the engine moves around.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. I got it and installed it this evening. It does raise up, but doesn't look bad and is easy to work with.

It is FAR from hitting anything like the Hood. You can't see the wire too well as I have it facing the firewall.

Anyway, here is a pic and it DOES work for $25.00...alot cheaper than fuel rails. With the extra money I saved I may get a wide band.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Why don't you install the adapter at the other end of fuel line going to the rail :scratchhead: That way it won't be sticking up so high. Just a thought.

Fuel Line.jpg

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Because the line is 5/16 at the firewall and 3/8 at the rail.Need the smaller adapter for the firewall.
You pointed that out in a earlier reply. I was just curious as to why he didn't do it at the firewall as you did. Must have been the cost factor between the two different fittings.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Curious why would anyone think you needed to install a fuel pressure gauge? It is very simple to do on stock or aftermarket rails, looks like you figured it out though.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Curious why would anyone think you needed to install a fuel pressure gauge? It is very simple to do on stock or aftermarket rails, looks like you figured it out though.
It's kinda nice to see if your BAP is working. Lost pressure at full boost not a good thing. Besides, it's good for business. (I bought the gauge from you...lol)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts