Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my Challenger was totaled a little over 9 months ago I made a couple of decisions.

- A new Challenger would never be able to replace my old one, so there's no point in replacing it with another Challenger. Apparently this is a form of mourning, such as losing a loved one and not feeling like anyone will be able to take their place.

- I wouldn't spend much time looking at photos/videos of my old Challenger. Hell, I never watched the GoPro footage from the cruise that ended in the accident. Why would I? It would just make me sad.

So I ripped off the "Challenger band-aid" quickly and moved on with a Jeep. My 6th Jeep, to be precise. So not something I'm unfamiliar with and something that's fun and was/is more practical than a Challenger.

My mistake? Last week I decided to go watch some of my old videos. Ever since then I've been stuck wanting another Challenger. I'm losing sleep over it. I'm trying to justify it in my head and figure out how I can make it work since now we live where there's snow and ice. I could always work from home on those days, but there's still the concern with salt on the roads during winter. Perhaps a weekly or semi-weekly touchless wash with underbody spray would work out fine, plus there are car washes that offer monthly wash programs and unlimited washes for pretty cheap.

Somehow I need to make this happen. Really, the roadblock is making it happen without my wife killing me.

I need help. :)

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Related to this...my dilemma is whether I get another 6-speed or if I go with the A8. I already know it will have to be a B5 R/T Scat Pack.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Tell your wife she needs to pick up the slack and get a second job so you can get a new Challenger.... If that does not work start accepting applications for a new wife that understands... ;) Try a "go fund me" to pay off the jeep, yeah good luck with that.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tell your wife she needs to pick up the slack and get a second job so you can get a new Challenger.... If that does not work start accepting applications for a new wife that understands... ;) Try a "go fund me" to pay off the jeep, yeah good luck with that.
Oh, it's not a matter of affordability. It's a matter of "wifeability." :D Before my Challenger I would get bored and have the itch to get a different car every 6-12 months. It was horrible. I'm feeling that way again, 9 months after buying the Jeep, but I know exactly what I want because I've had it before and it was the only vehicle I've ever known that I wanted to keep forever.

I just have to convince my wife that this is a matter of sanity and happiness and hope that she doesn't flip her lid when I tell her I made a mistake and need a Challenger again. Yes, it's need. NEED.

Funny you should mention gofundme, that actually crossed my mind. haha

I actually am prepared to sell some of my other toys to help offset the cost of the Challenger.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Move South young man! Problem solved!
Not an option. :) Would be cheaper/more practical to just buy a winter beater, but since I can work from home due to weather and my wife doesn't work that's not really needed.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Welcome back...and amongst all of us on CT I'm sure we can come up with something to help get the wife on board!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the snow and ice if that's the primary reason preventing another Challenger purchase. I live in Anchorage, Alaska and drive my Challenger year-round with the factory all season tires without problem. An engine block heater, low-temperature windshield washer fluid, Rain-X on all the glass, WeatherTech mats, and careful driving technique is all that's required. A set of Blizzak snow and ice tires will further aid driveability if your area experiences a lot of ice, and a weekly run through an automatic (preferably touch-less) car wash with under-body wash will partially mitigate salt corrosion. With this said, you will find the Jeep a more capable snow vehicle overall, but the Challenger does just fine.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
guess the only question is in another 6-12 months are you going to regret buying another challenger and want to get rid of it? do you think this is something just short lived until the URGE so to speak wheres off?

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get the challenger. Then tell the wife. Problem solved. Possibly another one in the process.
Great plan if I want to end up single. :)

guess the only question is in another 6-12 months are you going to regret buying another challenger and want to get rid of it? do you think this is something just short lived until the URGE so to speak wheres off?
I had my Challenger since it had less than 100 miles on it, it was totaled 38k miles and 3 years after I bought it and not once did I ever have the desire to get rid of it. Never. Replacing it with another Challenger was an option at the time, but knowing we were moving to Illinois it didn't seem like the best choice, so I went with the Wrangler to have something fun that would also deal well with winter.

I would've kept my '11 and driven a truck in the winter, so getting rid of it even due to the snow/ice/salt still wasn't an option I was willing to consider.

Driving my Challenger always brought a smile to my face and I would look for any reason to drive anywhere with it, whether it was across town or across the country.

I don't have that same desire/experience with the Jeep. It's nice to drive with the top off and take off-road, but there aren't many trails around here, it's not all that great on the freeway. Fuel economy is around 16.

I'm not going to just rush into this, I know what I want and what I want to do to make it happen. I could just trade the Jeep in tomorrow, but that's not practical and wouldn't get me the Challenger I wanted, just whatever was available.

So, we'll see how I feel as I try to get all my ducks in a row.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Oh, it's not a matter of affordability. It's a matter of "wifeability." :D Before my Challenger I would get bored and have the itch to get a different car every 6-12 months. It was horrible. I'm feeling that way again, 9 months after buying the Jeep, but I know exactly what I want because I've had it before and it was the only vehicle I've ever known that I wanted to keep forever.

I just have to convince my wife that this is a matter of sanity and happiness and hope that she doesn't flip her lid when I tell her I made a mistake and need a Challenger again. Yes, it's need. NEED.

Funny you should mention gofundme, that actually crossed my mind. haha

I actually am prepared to sell some of my other toys to help offset the cost of the Challenger.
Well then if it is not a problem of finances keep the Jeep for the winter and buy the Challenger and drive it until the weather turns and then "mothball" it until spring. I have 4 cars, 2 toys, a work car, and a wife's car. And if my wife complains she can go live with my ex wife.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I feel ya. My challenger was totaled in April and I was hesitant to replace it for a bit. I put a lot of time in the old one (well, not so old... It was a 2014) and had it just right. Graphics, exhaust, all sorts of interior mods, dress up mods, etc. I thought it was never going to be replaced.

Ultimately I got a new Challenger. What helped me was I walked away from a moderately horrific accident uninjured. I thought, I might as well get another since it proved that it's a safe vehicle.

Not sure what you should do next... I say if everything can work out and you have an opportunity to get one then go for it. You only live once. I wouldn't go underwater trying to get one, but if you can make it work without taking a financial hit then why not?

Oh, and my second challenger is b5 blue also!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
B5 Scat Pack sounds great but I would get the 6-speed. There's nothing more satisfying that rowing your own gears. I love having a clutch and won't ever give it up. My car completes me.

·
Registered
748 Posts
He didn't get rid of his Challenger. It was wrecked and totaled out.

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
the one way to "sell the deal" is if you can offload the Jeep and not lose money on that and then transition over to the R/T Scat Pack you're thinking of.

Most of the time, its the idea of losing money on selling / trading a vehicle that was recently acquired to get the next one...I hear of that on more spouse related discussions on this topic.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
B5 Scat Pack sounds great but I would get the 6-speed. There's nothing more satisfying that rowing your own gears. I love having a clutch and won't ever give it up. My car completes me.
You're not making this any easier. :p This is on its way to a dealer not far from me, it's pretty much exactly what I want. The only differences are I think I'd like the red/black leather and the HK audio, but those aren't deal breakers. Everything else is spot on down to the color, the wheels, and everything else.

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2C3CDZFJ6FH905938

The old adage, it's better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Unfortunately, I already played that card once about 8 years ago. Not going to do that again, not worth it. :)

the one way to "sell the deal" is if you can offload the Jeep and not lose money on that and then transition over to the R/T Scat Pack you're thinking of.

Most of the time, its the idea of losing money on selling / trading a vehicle that was recently acquired to get the next one...I hear of that on more spouse related discussions on this topic.
Yeah, that's how I'm going to go about it. By selling various toys that I don't really need (Computer gear, camera) I can go into the deal better off than I am right now with the Jeep. If I just traded the Jeep then I'd be worse off by about $4k. I wouldn't be upside down and would have equity right off the bat, but this would ultimately end up being about a $4k "mistake."

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
Yahooligan, I can relate to your "need". My sweetheart was totalled the first week of June. I was in a daze for a bit, just trying to get a grip on what happened, and what I would do.

For me, I guess it was a good thing that it took a solid, non stop, month and a half fight with my insurance company for an agreeable settlement. Had to fight for every penny, and finally got it.

During this situation, I had time to think things over pretty well. At first I was going to "replace" Ol Yeller with another "DY" R/TC. I quickly figured out that there would be no replacement/duplicate "DY"car that would make me as happy as what I had. It wasn't a matter of just duplicating it, but the question came up as far as "Do I want another Challenger"??????

Yes I did, so going back and forth over "what year should I get," I checked out the 15's, to see what I really thought about the interior changes, and a chance to injest all the other changes that the '15's had.

Long story short, ordered a '16 B5 SP. I don't look at it as "replacing" a car that I was totally happy with, I look at it as a "fresh start" with a new one.

Best of luck with yours, and hope that you can get it done. :)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
About this Discussion
71 Replies
27 Participants
19johned53
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing