Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was driving the Challenger around time yesterday, just hanging out.. and I passed a 2010 RT in a parking lot. I saw the guy getting to his car so I swung by, rolled the windows down and say "hey, really nice car! man, I like your stripe (custom stripe for sure)". He just looked my way and mumbled "yeah". Yeah? Yeah? Ok maybe you had a bad day, but come one man, I'm just like you.. well maybe I don't have the RT, but I made the same choice as you did when it came to "throw back muscle cars".

A simple "Hey man I appreciate that", "Back at you bro", or even "Thanks" would have been better. I'm not trying to tell him how to act, and again he might have been having a bad day, but still is that to much to ask from a fellow driver? Anytime I see a Challey on the I wave, give them the thumbs up, something to say "hey man you're not alone!". With so few Challengers and so MANY Mustangs I figured it would be a breath of fresh air for others to see another one on the road.

I dunno maybe there is a "Challenger Rapist" that is seducing guys an he thought I was him.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I know I was not prepared to get frequent unsolicited comments when I got my Challenger. I'm generally not the outgoing type and generally fearful of strangers and their motivations for (casual, if not unnecessary) interaction. It took me a few cycles to acclimate to be more jovial and socially graceful when somebody makes the effort to let me know how awesome my car is, when I'm just minding my own business and going about my day to attract the least amount of trouble (that might ruin the flow of my day) as possible.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Are you sure you didn't say "Hey man, nice Chally!" ??? :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I was not prepared to get frequent unsolicited comments when I got my Challenger. I'm generally not the outgoing type and generally fearful of strangers and their motivations for (casual, if not unnecessary) interaction. It took me a few cycles to acclimate to be more jovial and socially graceful when somebody makes the effort to let me know how awesome my car is, when I'm just minding my own business and going about my day to attract the least amount of trouble (that might ruin the flow of my day) as possible.
I feel ya man, maybe I'm stepping out of line, by my actions...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not the most outgoing person either, but when someone compliments my car I at least show them the common courtesy of saying "Thanks."

That is, unless they say "Hey, nice Charger!" Then I just stare at them, say "I don't have a Charger" and drive off.
yeah "dem's fight'n words".

·
Registered
37 Posts
I get it all the time!

As I drive I get the same treatment, people giving me compliments on my car. Some folks put just about every thing they have into the car just to find out that their not the only ones that have one. At least let them drive it for a week before some one else pulls up or passes you on the road with the same car. For me the more compliments the better. When I am in the store and have it parked outside my wife will watch it and answers all the questions that people have. Then when she gets tired of it the It's my turn.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm not the most outgoing person either, but when someone compliments my car I at least show them the common courtesy of saying "Thanks."

That is, unless they say "Hey, nice Charger!" Then I just stare at them, say "I don't have a Charger" and drive off.
Any different reaction for when they call it a Camaro? :laugh:

·
Registered
153 Posts
It took me a while to figure out that some people are socially deficient (for want of a better phrase). This doesn't mean they're evil - just that they can be a bit of a pain to deal with. Personally, I can't begin to understand why that guy didn't acknowledge you; but maybe it makes sense to him.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Don't let it worry you just take it for what it is. Some people are into it and some just want to drive there car's and have no clue about what we all are doing and the fun we are having with are cars.

·
Registered
207 Posts
don't feel like the Lone Ranger Carbcounter. I have noticed that too. I always go out of my way to acknowledge another Challenger owner whether just a wave or smile and a thumbs up but sometimes get the cold shoulder...hell I even will do that with Camaro or Mustang owners...it's all American Muscle Baby! It almost seems like they are threatened or you are encroaching on their territory or something...weird! Even though I just drive a lowly R/T Auto, have had SRT's blow by me like they were squashing a bug, at least wave as I am eating your dust LOL!

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
There's also the possibility you just catch somebody on a real "off" day. I know (when I was working), some days I was quite ready to tear somebody's head off in those moments I found the time to take a 20 min breather from work/meatgrinder. Sometimes you just get so fed up with what counts as acceptable "legitimate employment" these days (i.e., what really goes on in the office, how people f*** with your workflow because they can, how people punt their work which only makes your work later in the chain that much more of an ordeal, how the boss becomes dismissive and neglectful at how work gets done as long as it gets done under their watch, etc.). I just may not be in the best of moods, let alone in a state of mind to be pleasantly social, on the happenstance that you catch me somewhere. Put simply, I was stressed out of my gourd, and for what?...to ensure I could have nice things such as this car. It had my head twisting so much, I could only wonder, wtf sense does any of this make??? One time it was so bad, the thought of death-by-cop crossed my mind when some motorcycle-d-o-u-c-h-e pulled me over in the 5 min I was on the street to return to the office with my lunch which I will eat at my desk while diving back into the fray. Yes, sometimes I pray for the sweet release of death, rather than deal with any further petty disruptions to the 5 minutes of peace I thought I could have to myself and have to my own. ;) (You know the real irony about that day I just described, after getting that traffic ticket? When I'm riding the elevator back up, an office acquaintance standing beside me says, "So, how are you likin' your car?" She meant well. It's a perfectly appropriate question...but she just had no idea where my head was, right then. It was like the final insult to injury for a $hit day, just trying to grab some lunch. I was ready to go friggin' ballistic inside that elevator, but I digress.)

What is the point I'm making? I guess that it would be that "successful" career life can be a harsh, brutal, and hectic life. The notion of sharing pleasantries on a chance encounter can become distant, even though we would all love to partake. Sometimes a person just gets super-tweaked when you happen to catch them. Don't take it personal. It's not about you. They're just suffering a neverending personal crisis the best they can, and sometimes and unfortunately it yields an ugly face.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Yah, sounds eazy-peazzy! Tnx!

(You should note, the way I described my job, it had nothing to do with hating it. It was implying that this was everyday, ordinary stuff you encounter at any workplace. If you find one where people actually do what they are supposed to do, more power to ya. Just don't take it for granted that it is universal or all that common.

What it comes down to is, "people" like me are just lucky to be employed, in the first place, rather than getting to pick and choose the nature of the workplace that will suit me. I am evidently of the "expendable tier" when it comes to major job market shrinkages, as has been supported by my periods of employment since 2001. My station in the world is to be "that guy" to take it in the teeth during goodtimes (because beggars cannot be choosers), and then quietly walk back into the dark when the big cutbacks loom, until goodtimes return. Never in the past 10 years has it even "looked" like the stability was in-place for building that nestegg or owning a home like "regular" people. I dunno...seems like a rather poor substitute for a productive life and pursuit of happiness. People like me are just best off "disappearing into the forest" because there sure as hell isn't enough "musical chairs" sitting around for it to be even somewhat of a fun game with optimistic "chance" involved.)

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
I'm flabbergasted by some of the lack of camaraderie amongst Challenger owners. Coming out of the Corvette world, one of the parts I enjoyed about that car was waving and acknowledging shared interest between owners!

This car, I wave at other Challengers and try to talk to other owners and I get a good response MAYBE 25% of the time! We need to take a page out of the Corvette/Harley owners' books and start something on these forums!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts