Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, with the recent talk about not being able to shut off a Charger/Challenger while running and not in PARK, I came across an odd situation and decided to test.
Lets say I was not moving, in neutral, engine idling, and was able to coast, like in your driveway. I was able to try shut off the car but it ended up with the shifter locked in N. Engine running, idling, but car was fixed in place as if in Park. I tried for several minutes and could not shut off the car, the button had "RUN" lit up as well. And I couldn't move the car, or the shifter. What I ended up doing was removing the cubby next to the shifter, and pulling the strap to lift the park release (as in for towing) and the car would coast, then it instantly died. Shifter was still locked in "N", I could re-start it as normal, but couldn't shut off again, and repeated, slight coast and engine would stop. So I popped the trunk, and used my 10mm SHAKER tool and removed the neg battery cable, waited a couple seconds and reconnected. When I got back in, I still couldn't move the shifter, then without trying to start (no foot on the brake) I put the car in "ACC" mode and the shifter released and I put it in Park. Then started it and all was normal again. I think what triggered it was moving into or out of neutral while starting to coast, the car was not moving enough to lock the shifter, but it transitioned as the shifter went to N. I forget the sequence, but the result was a locked shifter and running engine. I held the button for maybe a minute and it wouldn't shut off. This was not an attempt to test this, it was an odd sequence that triggered it. I had something similar happen on my 2015 Charger once, but it didn't lock like this 2018 did.
To sum up, if this happens to you.
1 - lift tow release, move car (gravity or someone else push, but stay in car) and engine dies
2 - PARKING BRAKE, disconnect battery, wait, reconnect
3 - NO FOOT ON BRAKE, tap start button to ACC mode
4 - move shifter to PARK

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,458 Posts
Careful, I’m pretty sure reversing steps 2 and 3 in your procedure will initiate the car’s Self Destruct Sequence. ???

Just to be safe, you should add one more step to your sequence:
[1...4...]
5 - RUUUUN!!!

:D

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
307 Posts
Sorry for the newbie question but what is this tow release you speak of?

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
With engine idling you can select any gear including neutral and the car will roll.

If however while the car is rolling you shut the engine off the transmission will immediately and automatically go to park. Why? Because the park lock is held off by hydraulics from the running engine, once the engine stops its spring loaded to lock into park. This is also why you can't get it out of park with the engine off. There is a logic to keep it out of park above a certain mph like if your throttle is stuck with car moving at speed, in that case hold the stop button in and after a few seconds the engine will stop and the car will freely roll until it gets down to a couple mph then it will jump into park.

The problem with the Demon that burned and any A8 car that blows a driveshaft is that the output shaft of the transmission is turning yet the car is not moving, in this case you will not be able to shut the engine off.

The shifter is all electronic so even though it doesn't move the transmission will still go to park.

Threadkiller, it's an emergency way to get your car into neutral with engine off like when it needs to be towed. It's explained in your owners manual, download from Dodge.com if you need one but I wouldn't mess with this thing unless you have a real emergency.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
Threadkiller, it's an emergency way to get your car into neutral with engine off like when it needs to be towed. It's explained in your owners manual, download from Dodge.com if you need one but I wouldn't mess with this thing unless you have a real emergency.

Thank you for that. I do have the owners manual and I will read about that.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,453 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With engine idling you can select any gear including neutral and the car will roll.

If however while the car is rolling you shut the engine off the transmission will immediately and automatically go to park. Why? Because the park lock is held off by hydraulics from the running engine, once the engine stops its spring loaded to lock into park. This is also why you can't get it out of park with the engine off. There is a logic to keep it out of park above a certain mph like if your throttle is stuck with car moving at speed, in that case hold the stop button in and after a few seconds the engine will stop and the car will freely roll until it gets down to a couple mph then it will jump into park...
Yeah, that makes sense to me, I am all for safety when computers are controlling things, but not having a way to get it back to drivable status just because I (or someone else) hit a button while idling in neutral is what was odd.
The transmission went to park, but the shifter didn't. And I couldn't move the shifter back to park. But I figgered it out, no harm no foul.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,565 Posts
Stupid car, stupid trans mission, stupid shifter not mechanically connected to the transmission....... I read somewhere that these transmissions have the ability to have a shifter with mechanical linkage connected to them for use in older cars. Is that true? Could a traditional shifter be adapted to out cars?

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
Don't think you could as the A8 is all electronic, there's nothing mechanical to move.

And on the 2019 try moving or backing up with the driver's door open, not gonna happen, it goes immediately to Park.

That's another reason the engineers like it all electronic, they can add these little features with ease.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,565 Posts
Don't think you could as the A8 is all electronic, there's nothing mechanical to move.

And on the 2019 try moving or backing up with the driver's door open, not gonna happen, it goes immediately to Park.

That's another reason the engineers like it all electronic, they can add these little features with ease.

yeah they did that after Chekov got killed by his Jeep. Stupid engineers, can't tell the difference between an radio and a transmission............

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stupid car, stupid trans mission, stupid shifter not mechanically connected to the transmission....... I read somewhere that these transmissions have the ability to have a shifter with mechanical linkage connected to them for use in older cars. Is that true? Could a traditional shifter be adapted to out cars?
Don't get me wrong, I initiated the issue through a quirk sequence of events. But it is stupid how I had to disconnect battery to recover. And it is a thoroughly phenomenal transmission. I am a stick guy, I have owned a lot of them, and loved every one of them, but I have zero complaints about the A8, and banging off gears in a mile long tunnel will really show you why the manual is a dinosaur now. The A8 shifter in the Charger/Challenger is a bit funky looking, but it is the best operating shifter I have ever used, the way it simulates a reverse pattern gate is genius. Closest thing is a Jaguar J-Gate.
As for manual mode on the A8 I really doubt it. Simple thing, look at the cop cars, they still get the A5 because then need a column shift for room for the cop hardware between the seats, and because it is manual valve'd. (AFAIK)
That is partly why they put the 12" U-Connect in them, it can integrate with external source like a laptop, and touchscreen.

·
Premium Member
8,458 Posts
speak of the devil, and I appear!

yeah, i tried to simulate what the major complaint seems to be, and i can't even get close.

call it good, call it bad, either way its about as manual as shifting an auto can be:
WP_20190814_07_54_08_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
speak of the devil, and I appear!

yeah, i tried to simulate what the major complaint seems to be, and i can't even get close.

call it good, call it bad, either way its about as manual as shifting an auto can be:
View attachment 977175
Is that the 5 or the 8? And I love the autostick buttons on the lever. Another oddball that had that is the 2002ish Dodge Grand Caravan ES. I had a T&C Limited that was maxed out, and I almost swapped the Dodge shifter in for the Autostick.

·
Premium Member
8,458 Posts
Is that the 5 or the 8? And I love the autostick buttons on the lever. Another oddball that had that is the 2002ish Dodge Grand Caravan ES. I had a T&C Limited that was maxed out, and I almost swapped the Dodge shifter in for the Autostick.

It’s the A5.

Coming from the console shifter in my Challengers which I absolutely loved to manually actuate the gears with in Autostick, I immediately detested the way they implemented the on/off and manual shifting in Autostick on these column shifters. I resolved myself to just accept the fact I wouldn’t be using Autostick anymore because I found using it with this column shifter so awkward and different.

Fast forward a year and 50K some odd miles, and I gotta say, I’m really digging the way the column shifter can be manipulated to use Autostick. It took me a while to develop my own little gestures and ways of resting my hand, but man I am a able to deftly engage/disengage Autostick while effortlessly shifting up and down like nobody’s business!

It’s still not as much raw fun as banging that console shifter left and right like I did on the A5s in my Challengers, but I am every bit as good at doing it with this column shifter switch and button, and I’m pretty danged close to having it be as fun too. :cool:

·
Registered
307 Posts
While we're on the subject of Autostick, is there a way to go back to auto mode without shifting to "D" at a stop? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,453 Posts
You can shift in or out of the AutoStick mode at any time without taking your foot off the accelerator pedal.

Press and hold the plus (+) shift paddle if you have paddle shifters. This is if the shift lever is already in Drive, and you are shifting with the paddles (temporary autostick mode).

A Guy

·
Registered
307 Posts
You can shift in or out of the AutoStick mode at any time without taking your foot off the accelerator pedal.

Press and hold the plus (+) shift paddle if you have paddle shifters. This is if the shift lever is already in Drive, and you are shifting with the paddles (temporary autostick mode).

A Guy
Hey A Guy, I tried this and it worked great! Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,453 Posts
(y)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
8,458 Posts
What is the A8's Autostick kick-down behavior at WOT? Still disallowed like it was in the A5?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,453 Posts
In Temporary AutoStick mode, it will shift at redline

A Guy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts