Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and surprisingly, I’m pleased with the results from both, even if I will only be buying more of one of them and not the other going forward.

First up is Mothers Speed Tire Shine in the aerosol can: CF606CAA-8C53-4EEF-A4B1-814BD0A23B4C_1522032398063.jpeg

I found it at Wally World and it cost me about $6-7 IIRC. Nothing earth shattering about it, it does what it is supposed to do and leaves the tires looking good.

It will leave a good shine on them if that’s your preference, but I prefer a satin finish on my tires, which requires a little more work with this product. Basically, hit the tire with the spray after clean and dry, let sit 10 min or so, and then wipe down with a towel or rag to cut the shine back some. ( Hint: those half paper towel, half rag things they sell at the self-serve car washes for $0.50 are perfect for this task! )

Next up is Griots Garage Black Satin Tire Shine: BAFF37D4-93A9-4EAC-86FF-2397D1974FE7_1522032409539.jpeg

I found this one at the local Oreilly Auto, and it was $10 IIRC. I was surprised to find it OTC actually, as I knew it existed and had contemplated ordering some from AutoGeeks just the other day. I had seen its sibling, Black Shine Tire Coating (also Griots Garage) at Oreilly’s, and even tried it a time or two, but I didn’t anticipate anyone carrying it OTC since it’s specifically satin finish and not EXTREME WET LOOK BLIND YOU AND CONFUSE BIRDS SHINE like everyone seems to prefer.

Long story short, I’m in love!! This is exactly what I’ve been looking for all these years - an aerosol product which doesn’t require extra work to leave it in a satin shine state, and it is easily obtained by driving to a local store and purchasing OTC. If that ain’t nirvana, I don’t know what is.

Seriously, if you prefer the satin look over the shiny look, put this stuff on your list of products to try, you won’t be disappointed!

Nuke, OUT!!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
...and surprisingly, I’m pleased with the results from both, even if I will only be buying more of one of them and not the other going forward.

First up is Mothers Speed Tire Shine in the aerosol can: View attachment 898201

I found it at Wally World and it cost me about $6-7 IIRC. Nothing earth shattering about it, it does what it is supposed to do and leaves the tires looking good.

It will leave a good shine on them if that’s your preference, but I prefer a satin finish on my tires, which requires a little more work with this product. Basically, hit the tire with the spray after clean and dry, let sit 10 min or so, and then wipe down with a towel or rag to cut the shine back some. ( Hint: those half paper towel, half rag things they sell at the self-serve car washes for $0.50 are perfect for this task! )

Next up is Griots Garage Black Satin Tire Shine: View attachment 898209

I found this one at the local Oreilly Auto, and it was $10 IIRC. I was surprised to find it OTC actually, as I knew it existed and had contemplated ordering some from AutoGeeks just the other day. I had seen its sibling, Black Shine Tire Coating (also Griots Garage) at Oreilly’s, and even tried it a time or two, but I didn’t anticipate anyone carrying it OTC since it’s specifically satin finish and not EXTREME WET LOOK BLIND YOU AND CONFUSE BIRDS SHINE like everyone seems to prefer.

Long story short, I’m in love!! This is exactly what I’ve been looking for all these years - an aerosol product which doesn’t require extra work to leave it in a satin shine state, and it is easily obtained by driving to a local store and purchasing OTC. If that ain’t nirvana, I don’t know what is.

Seriously, if you prefer the satin look over the shiny look, put this stuff on your list of products to try, you won’t be disappointed!

Nuke, OUT!!
That's good to know, I'll give Griot's a try.

I've been using this instead, but I'm not very happy with it. It doesn't matter how I apply it, either it doesn't cover enough of the tire wall or the tire will "bleed" the gel off the next day. I always have to go over it with the applicator to spread out what bled off.

I like it better to bring out the black in the rubber trim around the door and porous black plastics, even if it doesn't last very long.

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to know, I'll give Griot's a try.

I've been using this instead, but I'm not very happy with it. It doesn't matter how I apply it, either it doesn't cover enough of the tire wall or the tire will "bleed" the gel off the next day. I always have to go over it with the applicator to spread out what bled off.

I like it better to bring out the black in the rubber trim around the door and porous black plastics, even if it doesn't last very long.
Extreme shine?!? You’re not one of THOSE people are you??

J/k (or am I?), to each his own...

If you’re a fan of more shine over less, try the Griots Garage Black Shine (as opposed to Black Satin) Tire spray. Same as above but shinier.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Extreme shine?!? You’re not one of THOSE people are you??

J/k (or am I?), to each his own...

If you’re a fan of more shine over less, try the Griots Garage Black Shine (as opposed to Black Satin) Tire spray. Same as above but shinier.
I'm not, I prefer satin.

I figured I might be able to apply it lightly, but the product doesn't really lend itself to that for tires.

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not, I prefer satin.

I figured I might be able to apply it lightly, but the product doesn't really lend itself to that for tires.
Yeah, back in my younger days I was all about the wet shiny look, but I think that’s just because I didn’t know any better.

I don't like that super wet shine anymore though, although everybody else seems to prefer it. I think it's out of place on a freshly cleaned car, especially a black one like mine. Shiny tires draw the eye to the tires, but I would rather the eye stays on the paint and arent specifically drawn to the tires.

The tires should compliment the overall look, not take it over IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,699 Posts
I've used this most weekends for 22 months. I still have about 1/3 of the bottle left. I use the method in the video, without seeming like a car salesman :)

I use less than he does, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 what he does. Once the applicator gets some product in it, you can usually almost do one tire without adding any product. Put the applicator in a Ziploc bag and it stays soft and ready to go. After 22 months, using both sides, and running over the tire at the end to buff down the shine, it does get my hands messy. I apply it last, then wash my hands before sealing the bag again. I use their applicator, and it's just starting to show some wear, so it's worth getting too.

If you like shiny, you can get that with this too using more product, and not buffing afterwards.

015.jpg

A Guy

Reactions: Ohgeez

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used this most weekends for 22 months. I still have about 1/3 of the bottle left. I use the method in the video, without seeming like a car salesman :)

USE NO SLING TIRE DRESSING - YouTube

I use less than he does, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 what he does. Once the applicator gets some product in it, you can usually almost do one tire without adding any product. Put the applicator in a Ziploc bag and it stays soft and ready to go. After 22 months, using both sides, and running over the tire at the end to buff down the shine, it does get my hands messy. I apply it last, then wash my hands before sealing the bag again. I use their applicator, and it's just starting to show some wear, so it's worth getting too.

If you like shiny, you can get that with this too using more product, and not buffing afterwards.

View attachment 898249

A Guy
Hold on let me get this straight so you wash your car four times a month at most? What’s going on out there were keeping you busy? I wash my car at least twice a week sometimes three, and I have a full-time job too.

Come on man, let’s get with the program here. Why don’t you join the team and come on in for the big win!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,699 Posts
I only drive it on the weekend. I work from home. It sits Mon. - Fri. You win. I wasn't competing, lol. I only mention because it shows how long a bottle of tire dressing will last. More than 2 years easily if you use it once a week. A Guy

·
Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
Everyone has their favorite dressing. I tried many liquid brands before I found Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Coating. It goes on as a foam and cleans and shines with no rubbing. Just spray it on and walk away. Also, no sling. A great product.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Hold on let me get this straight so you wash your car four times a month at most? What’s going on out there were keeping you busy? I wash my car at least twice a week sometimes three, and I have a full-time job too.

Come on man, let’s get with the program here. Why don’t you join the team and come on in for the big win!!
That's because you like in that hot, dusty bowl known as Texas...and I'm certain the pollen is probably going on pretty well too. 2x - 3x a week. I may have my compulsions...but not that much.

Visited the relatives in GA last week, and the pine trees were certainly putting out a lot of pollen!

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I only drive it on the weekend. I work from home. It sits Mon. - Fri. You win. I wasn't competing, lol. I only mention because it shows how long a bottle of tire dressing will last. More than 2 years easily if you use it once a week. A Guy
I’m just yanking your chain...but if you want to talk longevity, I got some Detailer/Sealant from Dodo Juice back when I had my TO Challenger and I haven’t quite finished it off yet.

Granted, I don’t use it as often on this Challenger, but still, 4 years plus ain’t too bad!

689BFDB7-F2E6-4D47-95A4-0F1C95F2935D_1522066457119.jpeg

CA0492ED-E5BD-4D7D-BD4C-5FFC6078BB1D_1522066466088.jpeg

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone has their favorite dressing. I tried many liquid brands before I found Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Coating. It goes on as a foam and cleans and shines with no rubbing. Just spray it on and walk away. Also, no sling. ....]
I am very familiar with that product, I love to use it on my wheel wells to keep them nice and black. But I go through it too quickly to justify buying the Meguiars kind usually, so it ends up being a knock off called No Touch Tire Foam.

55337283-47C4-48B6-A62E-E9DD9DE549C7_1522066791310.jpeg

I can get it at Dollar General for $3, and it is also a satin-look product, so my wheel wells love it!

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's because you like in that hot, dusty bowl known as Texas...and I'm certain the pollen is probably going on pretty well too. 2x - 3x a week. I may have my compulsions...but not that much.

Visited the relatives in GA last week, and the pine trees were certainly putting out a lot of pollen!
Pollen?!?! I ain’t got time to worry about no stinkin’ pollen!!

The county constables are hot on my trail trying coral me and lock me up for a crime I didn’t commit, and the local LEOs are in perms-alert mode watching out for me passing thru so they can satisfy their ticket quota for the month.

Hell, I can’t walk into the store anymore without walking out to find an authority if some sort running my plates in the parking lot. That there, my friend, ain’t nothing to sneeze at neither!!

Crap, it’s daylight here, gotta go, the helicopters will be out soon, and I hate those blasted helicopters!!

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
Everyone has their favorite dressing. I tried many liquid brands before I found Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Coating. It goes on as a foam and cleans and shines with no rubbing. Just spray it on and walk away. Also, no sling. A great product.

That's what I'm using also...and I use it under the hood as well. It makes your alternator shine like nothing else!

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Pollen?!?! I ain’t got time to worry about no stinkin’ pollen!!

The county constables are hot on my trail trying coral me and lock me up for a crime I didn’t commit, and the local LEOs are in perms-alert mode watching out for me passing thru so they can satisfy their ticket quota for the month.

Hell, I can’t walk into the store anymore without walking out to find an authority if some sort running my plates in the parking lot. That there, my friend, ain’t nothing to sneeze at neither!!

Crap, it’s daylight here, gotta go, the helicopters will be out soon, and I hate those blasted helicopters!!
You've been chugging too much Redline!

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You've been chugging too much Redline!
Probably, but that doesn’t negate the fact that every morning on my way into work and every afternoon on my way home, I see at least one helicopter flying high above, and most likely keeping tabs on me I’m guessing.

Strangely enough I don’t see them on the weekends or even during the middle of the day on weekdays...but come Monday, there they’ll be at 8ish in the morning and again around 5ish that afternoon and the rest of the week days as well.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Probably, but that doesn’t negate the fact that every morning on my way into work and every afternoon on my way home, I see at least one helicopter flying high above, and most likely keeping tabs on me I’m guessing.

Strangely enough I don’t see them on the weekends or even during the middle of the day on weekdays...but come Monday, there they’ll be at 8ish in the morning and again around 5ish that afternoon and the rest of the week days as well.
Paranoia Will Destroy Ya...

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Paranoia Will Destroy Ya...
So no helicopters this morning, but it was cloudy here and I never see them when it’s cloudy. That doesn’t mean they weren’t actively keeping tabs on me though, as is evident in this pic I snapped earlier:
4AFE53A6-0D7C-47B8-A96F-96144B4A73F5_1522087115739.jpeg

See there, 3 white cars all within spitting distance from me, BUSTED!! No way they are unrelated to each other and just happened to all be that close to me at the same time.

I bet you’re feeling pretty bad now about thinking I’m crazy, huh?!? I tried to tell you, but no body ever listens...

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts

That is some super rich dude, flying his chopper to work and back, so he doesn't have to put miles on his Dodge Demon! >:) Jealous now?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts