Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
solution today. IT WORKS GREAT! Just like the video. Try it.

My RT had different stripes on the front. The SRT stripes go way down on the front. Drilling holes there, and messing up the front was not an option. This costed $2.98. I used 6" vice 5" (Lowes didn't have 5"). There is still several inches of clearance between bolts and radiator.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep...

It is perfect because the only contact is between non painted parts.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Yep. It was posted here before. I followed the instructions and works great for me.

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Have you guys gone without a plate and gotten stopped by the police? Is that why you used this method?
My finding is unless you give them a reason they don't bother to stop you. I currently am on my sixth pickup which I change every three years to have no front plate which NJ requires and in almost 18 years been stopped only twice and no ticket. Both times I gave him pause to look for something so I brought it on myself, lol.
In the Challenger I was stopped twice (local and State Police) and asked if they could check out the car and the naked front bumper was not even mentioned.
The method you posted is a great idea, it's the best option if it must be mounted.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I work on a military base....

Have you guys gone without a plate and gotten stopped by the police? Is that why you used this method?
My finding is unless you give them a reason they don't bother to stop you. I currently am on my sixth pickup which I change every three years to have no front plate which NJ requires and in almost 18 years been stopped only twice and no ticket. Both times I gave him pause to look for something so I brought it on myself, lol.
In the Challenger I was stopped twice (local and State Police) and asked if they could check out the car and the naked front bumper was not even mentioned.
The method you posted is a great idea, it's the best option if it must be mounted.
I went through the gate 6 times without being stopped. I suppose I could have continued and got away with it. But some co-workers said that they were stopped...and told to fix the plate. If I worked off base...I'd have left it off.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Warning...I forgot to mention this....

I originally made a BONEHEAD mistake. Make sure you get the bolts in the Correct Holes (of the grill) ON YOUR FIRST ATTEMPT. I originally "eyeballed" it, vice marking with tape like the video shows. After I realized the plate was off center, I needed to remove the bolt, but the "spring loaded" fastener "deployed" on the other side of the grill. I grabbed part of it with my finger...and twisted the bolt in order to back it out.

As I twisted the bolt, and the fastener fell onto the top of the splitter ducting. I had to make a device to remove it. I tied a small magnet onto a wire....and used it to fish the fastener out. The fastener was made from metal that can be picked up with a magnet. If the fastener falls into the backside of the grill....it will be trapped back there until you get it out.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
did that 5 months ago, no issues.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I live in Central Ohio.... my brother got stopped and a warning... two others I know of got a ticket for no front plate and it is a $150 fine here. I figured I don't want to run the risk of a $150 fine.

·
Super Moderator
14,187 Posts
I originally made a BONEHEAD mistake. Make sure you get the bolts in the Correct Holes (of the grill) ON YOUR FIRST ATTEMPT. I originally "eyeballed" it, vice marking with tape like the video shows. After I realized the plate was off center, I needed to remove the bolt, but the "spring loaded" fastener "deployed" on the other side of the grill. I grabbed part of it with my finger...and twisted the bolt in order to back it out. As I twisted the bolt, and the fastener fell onto the top of the splitter ducting. I had to make a device to remove it. I tied a small magnet onto a wire....and used it to fish the fastener out. The fastener was made from metal that can be picked up with a magnet. If the fastener falls into the backside of the grill....it will be trapped back there until you get it out.
If this happens again, just use a telescoping magnetic wand. They are cheap and work great.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
I would try this method on my next challenger, or if i have some issues with the police on the front plate, No issues really with it here... Ive worked on a military base for over 4 months and no issue with no front plate, been pulled over twice with no front plate and only once did the cop mention it, second time nothing. Been through multiple police checkpoints and nothing. I have the bracket just don't like the look, plus the previous owner drilled like 4 holes for the bracket but only 2 work... scratched up the bumper too doing it..

Im also thinking those fancy electronic flip up ones.

Shifty

·
Registered
387 Posts
That's a really great idea and I would have done the same thing to mine, except the dealership had already attached the mounting bracket to the bumper before I took delivery. UGH!! So now I've got 4 nasty looking holes in my front bumper cover. Guess my bracket gets to stay.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Have you guys gone without a plate and gotten stopped by the police?

I've got immediate family who are in law enforcement. Here's the law in Texas:

1. You are required to have a front plate. This is strictly enforced and is usually a citation on first offense, so it's not worth it to try your luck.

2. The license plate must be mounted in the factory specified location. All license plate relocation kits are illegal. Putting the plate in your windshield for display purposes is just as illegal as not having a front plate at all.

3. As of July 1st, 2015, in the state of Texas possession of a fold away license plate bracket is a felony offense.

Just some heads up for our fellow Texas members.:guiness:

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
As of July 1st, 2015, in the state of Texas possession of a fold away license plate bracket is a felony offense.
I posted this a while back in reference to those movable hidden license plates that you can display or hide with a push of a button, I knew that had to be illegal but most did not agree. The alternate location though if solid and secure on the front end or bumper, I don't see a problem with.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
817 Posts
I posted this a while back in reference to those movable hidden license plates that you can display or hide with a push of a button, I knew that had to be illegal but most did not agree. The alternate location though if solid and secure on the front end or bumper, I don't see a problem with.

You were correct that they are in fact illegal.

As for location on the bumper, you get a little leeway but not much. The actual law states verbatim that the plate can be located no further than six inches from the front most point of the vehicle. So the off center plates are illegal as are the windshield displayed plates.

As I'm told all the time, the officers don't make the laws....they just have to enforce them. :smile:

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
I like the offset look, just think it looks better and gets away from the sensor eye if you have the radar cruise, oh well. The windshield idea, yeah that's just dumb. Some guys have even run a vinyl copy of their plate stuck on their front end, guess that's out too. Glad no front plate laws in the south except for Texas.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts