Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to buy the mopar t/a hood so bad but i have an aftermarket cai I'm not willing to give up.but I wouldn't put it on unless it was functional so I'm not sure what my options are. What do you guys think??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
There are kits out there to make your T/A hood functional. I don't see why you cant use the ram air kit and modify it to cooperate with your intake.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If I had the extra dough, I'd def get the TA hood with functional ram air kit. that or the max air hood. The Cuda nostril ones looks sick too

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You actually need an aftermarket CAI to make it functional. This is a Mopar kit.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
If you don't use that kit and just open the scoop, it'll just dump air on top of the intake manifold, as well as rain. That kit has rain detention, and directs the air where it needs it, into the intake.

·
Vendor
12,215 Posts
as long as your current cai, looks basically open from the top, same as the Mopar cai should be no problem to make it functional
thanks
Luke

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Do these increase the horsepower of the system? The obvious answer is yes but I am curious to see graphed evidence and to know what percentage of an increase there is.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Do these increase the horsepower of the system? The obvious answer is yes but I am curious to see graphed evidence and to know what percentage of an increase there is.
If you've already got a good aftermarket CAI, I doubt it'd give you any additional hp... Like if your CAI filter is below the hole in the fender, it's not gonna make much difference. If you "CAI" is in the engine compartment, not really a CAI intake anyway, and you might see a little difference.

·
Registered
425 Posts
not to hijack the tread but are these kits also available for the regular Challenger hoods?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
not to hijack the tread but are these kits also available for the regular Challenger hoods?
Yup. You can get duct work to convert the two bezels in the stock hood to route air towards the air intake.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
If you've already got a good aftermarket CAI, I doubt it'd give you any additional hp... Like if your CAI filter is below the hole in the fender, it's not gonna make much difference. If you "CAI" is in the engine compartment, not really a CAI intake anyway, and you might see a little difference.
That's pretty much what I was thinking.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That's pretty much what I was thinking.
Yea. If anything, it might make the engine coolant fan work a little less hard during low speeds on hot days?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yup. You can get duct work to convert the two bezels in the stock hood to route air towards the air intake.
cool, thanks for the info, I would think this would give it a little boost, esecially this time of year. So where does one acquire this duct?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
cool, thanks for the info, I would think this would give it a little boost, esecially this time of year. So where does one acquire this duct?
Pm sent. As an alternate to this, you can just take the stock bezels out and use an appropriately sized drill bit to drill the back out where the honeycomb squares are. I did this a long time ago, and have had no problems. Also gets some fresh air into the hood compartment. Lower the engine comp temps sig too.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Pm sent. As an alternate to this, you can just take the stock bezels out and use an appropriately sized drill bit to drill the back out where the honeycomb squares are. I did this a long time ago, and have had no problems. Also gets some fresh air into the hood compartment. Lower the engine comp temps sig too.
I've heard that there could be problems from rain water doing this...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've heard that there could be problems from rain water doing this...
Nope. Have had this this mod for over a year, and no problems. And it's a dd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts