Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new 2013 SRT Viper will get an automatic transmission says SRT CEO - November 22, 2012
<<http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7XjKfXbUO0g>>

@7:08 of the 11:16 clip, the interview asks Giles about automatic transmissions for the Vipers... and he says, "during the life cycle of this car there will be some kind of automated transmission...".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SRT Viper Follows Its Own Road, Skips Automatic Transmission - January 30, 2014
<<http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/srt-viper-follows-its-own-road-skips-automatic-transmission.html>>
On the subject of transmissions, Gilles said: "Everyone is going to paddle shifts. We see that a lot. We recognize a trend, but that is not what the Viper is about. It really isn't.
"The people who buy (the Viper) relish the manual, they relish the driver's car, the raw connections to the vehicle. That is what it is about. So we are not chasing rainbows here."

...well Mr. Gilles, I have lost over 60% of movement in my left knee, so pushing in a clutch over an extended period of time is a wee bit painful... But I thoroughly enjoy my automatic 392, and WOULD enjoy a Viper with an automatic transmission too! :headbang2:

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Nothing against you and I understand your point of view as a result of your injury but I think they should do an auto with a smaller engine and the stick with the v-10. That's just my point of view. Nothing more.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Nothing against you and I understand your point of view as a result of your injury but I think they should do an auto with a smaller engine and the stick with the v-10. That's just my point of view. Nothing more.
Why? That makes no sense what so ever. They are having a tough enough time selling them as it is.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Why would they need to downsize the engine to accommodate a semi-auto trans?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are having a tough enough time selling them as it is.
:cheers:

YEP!! If they had an automatic transmission I bet they'd sell twice as many as they have sold already...

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
It's a $100,000 car it's not like they're going to sell them by the millions. I think it's more to do with the fact that the transmission itself is cumbersome. Make it smoother and stop with the whole notchy thing. That's DEFINITELY something nobody wants in a $100,000 car is a notchy transmission. Make the shifter smooth and precise and I think it would make a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
:cheers:

YEP!! If they had an automatic transmission I bet they'd sell twice as many as they have sold already...
Agreed. Another poor decision by SRT management. They can hardly give these away especially since the new Vette. I had 4 different Vipers and I loved the 6-speed, but I know people who would prefer or have to get an auto so why the big deal? SRT listened to the old school Viper people who wanted the old style back, so they gave them the dated style--how well has that helped sales? Now they refuse to do an auto again I suspect by listening to the Viper owners... I really think the Viper is dying...

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Maybe they should do a Viper Core edition, cloth seats etc? Maybe $75K?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I wasn't talking a track car. I was referring to street model. I think the lack of model variation is part of the problem not just the transmission.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It's not about sales to the mass-market. It's a Viper! It needs a manual because it's a pure enthusiast's car.
Manuals are great but a car doesnt have to have a traditional manual transmission to be a true enthusiat's car. Ask the Nissan GTR and Bugatti Veyron if theyre not true enthusiast cars because of their semi-automatics.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Manuals are great but a car doesnt have to have a traditional manual transmission to be a true enthusiat's car. Ask the Nissan GTR and Bugatti Veyron if theyre not true enthusiast cars because of their semi-automatics.

I agree. I'm not saying the GTR and Veyron aren't enthusiast cars, but more like a different type of enthusiast car for different groups of enthusiasts. I think the Viper specifically has always been for the small hardcore group that loves the car the way it always has been: bare-bones no frills simplicity, minimal electronics, rough-riding, brute horsepower that's tough to control and a solid mechanical feel from the drivetrain. It demands the driver to be at his/her best at all times and that's what makes it a thrilling experience to drive it. No other car on the market delivers on that the way the Viper does and that's why I think it's only fitting with a manual.

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
But a company doesn't survive on feel, they survive on sales. If an auto is introduced and sales improved, is that not a good thing?? As long as they don't replace the manual with the auto, I don't see a problem.

I currently have a 392, 6M, but have flirted with the idea of an auto in the Hellcat. If I'm paying $75,000 plus for a car, I want maximum performance. We all know the 6m is slower than the auto, and it's not just because of shifting.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
But a company doesn't survive on feel, they survive on sales. If an auto is introduced and sales improved, is that not a good thing?? As long as they don't replace the manual with the auto, I don't see a problem.

I currently have a 392, 6M, but have flirted with the idea of an auto in the Hellcat. If I'm paying $75,000 plus for a car, I want maximum performance. We all know the 6m is slower than the auto, and it's not just because of shifting.
A flagship car like the Viper does survive on feel, as well as the image, driving experience, and community associated with it. The car company as a whole survives on sales of trucks, minivans, crossovers etc. Sales of the Viper always have been slumping ever since it came out, but what kept it around was the loyalty of the Viper community. I'm sure an automatic would bring in a few new buyers but with some expense of the feel and reputation we all love the Viper for. Would it be worth it when the sales numbers would still be insignificant compared to rest of the product line?

And as for the automatic being faster, that's debatable. SRT themselves say the Challenger SRT top speed is 182 mph with the 6 speed and 175 mph with the auto. Different story in the 1/4 mile but it depends what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
But a company doesn't survive on feel, they survive on sales. If an auto is introduced and sales improved, is that not a good thing??
Ferrari is pondering this now. Their loyal customers feel that the brand is "watered-down" because people's grandmas are now driving them. :lol:

Sure "sales" are great! But at what point do you "sale" yourself out????

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
I agree. I'm not saying the GTR and Veyron aren't enthusiast cars, but more like a different type of enthusiast car for different groups of enthusiasts. I think the Viper specifically has always been for the small hardcore group that loves the car the way it always has been: bare-bones no frills simplicity, minimal electronics, rough-riding, brute horsepower that's tough to control and a solid mechanical feel from the drivetrain. It demands the driver to be at his/her best at all times and that's what makes it a thrilling experience to drive it. No other car on the market delivers on that the way the Viper does and that's why I think it's only fitting with a manual.
Hay how about they offer both. I bet no one is going to twist your arm to buy an auto but I wont buy a Viper because I am sick and tired of shifting all the time. How the hell do I ruin it for all the viper enthusiast they will still be able to get the stick and I wont make them ride with me in my automatic.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts