Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tread is pretty low and my car is a little scary in the rain or on wet roads. What is s great 20” tire for wet roads?
Bob

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Been running Goodyear Eagle Sports on my R/T ever since the original F1 Supercar tires wore out at 13K. Got 40K on the first set. Since they're guaranteed for 50K, Goodyear discounted me 20% on the next set. Up to 65K now (12K on the second set) and going well. I do 80MPH in the rain on the interstate, with no issues. Because of the HEMI, I still gotta go light on the throttle when accelerating from a stop in heavy rain (tires will spin), but that's more of an issue with the power and light rear-end, than the tires. Less of a problem with the V-6.

·
Registered
558 Posts
They have a narrower tread than the OE Goodyears but in the dry have more traction.
I have not driven on them in the wet, yet.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hands down the Conti DWS06. Drove it even in snow and stuck like a 4x4 tire. Feels like a summer tire in warmer weather.
Read the reviews over the web and you will see.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
647 Posts
I had Conti DWS tires on my ‘05 GTO a few years back.

And we get a lot of rain in Florida.

They were almost too good in wet conditions. Almost got a false sense of security.

Reactions: raceheart77

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want amazing dry straight line and cornering performance as well as the best wet road and rain performance as I can get.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
17 Posts
I'm up in Toronto Canada, and I wanted something that was decent in the winter, and awesome in the other 3 seasons. I say decent in the winter, because unless you have winters, it doesn't matter how good your 'all seasons' are.

Anyways, youtube videos, and a bunch of online reading, the Conti DSW's are awesome tires. I bought them just over a year ago now, and they are amazing in both dry and wet weather. They are OK for the winter, it's when the temperature really drops well below freezing, is when I feel these tires don't do as well. But in the rain, and on dry pavement, these tires rock.

I believe motor trend, or another automotive publication did a whole test, on 3 different sets of tires, and the conti's were one of them. Just google Continental DSW review.

Great tire, highly recommend.

Mimzy
2015 SXT Plus

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all. I’d say the Michelin’s, Conti DWS and Pirelli p-zero plus AS are all awesome besaed on your feedback and my research. I will likely go with the Conti’s

·
Registered
185 Posts
This.

Hands down the Conti DWS06. Drove it even in snow and stuck like a 4x4 tire. Feels like a summer tire in warmer weather.
Read the reviews over the web and you will see.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Depends on the characteristics that you want out of the tire. My own research over the past year or so between both Continental and Michelin , being the DWS06 vs. Pilot Sport A/S 3 +, is that the Continental's offer a smoother ride plus less road noise in contrast to the Michelin tires. They'd make a good cruising tire. The Michelins', as a performance oriented tire, are more responsive to driver input and too transmit road conditions a bit more readily. Both options are great it all depends on which way you want to go. I currently have some off brand tires on my R/T and I dread driving on wet roads in Caroline is it can get quite sketchy if you know what I mean. She'll be getting some new rubber sooner than not. Best of luck and be safe out there

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sounds like the Conti's have the most thumbs-up in here. I haven't tried those, but I can tell you that I really liked the performance (wet and dry) of my last set of tires, which was General G-Max AS-03 which I got about 50k out of. My new set of tires seems pretty good too although I've only had them on a few months and about 5k miles - BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S. So far so good, but a little noisier than the G-Max's were. These are both directional tires, which I feel like probably helps on wet road conditions.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
M Pilot sport 3 A/S are a great choice as well.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
You ever test the limit of your tires on wet roads on purpose (obviously at low speeds and nobody else around to cause havoc)? There's like 2 "kinds" of wet traction properties. There's resistance to hydroplaning (look for plenty of void space in the tread pattern) *and* there is the tire compound itself that gives the sense of material tackiness even on a wet surface. The latter can be really tricky too, in that it can be amazingly tacky on a warmish day with wet pavement vs. unexpectedly ineffective as the temperature drops with wet pavement (but still above freezing).

·
Registered
10 Posts
M Pilot sport 3 A/S are a great choice as well.
If memory serves, TireRack would disagree: whereas they found the Michelin PS 3 A/S+ to be decent in the winter, the A/S was not.

When I bought the A/S 3 (not Plus) for my BRZ, they had just been released and had not been tested by TR in cold weather. My own experience with the PS 3 A/S (not Plus) is that they have too little grip once temps get below 42F or so. Don't get me wrong: like TireRack, I love them in the dry and in the rain -- as long as the temperature is above 45. Below that, I feel that I need to drive carefully -- and that is with a car that has way less power and torque than the Challenger.

Depends on the characteristics that you want out of the tire. My own research over the past year or so between both Continental and Michelin , being the DWS06 vs. Pilot Sport A/S 3 +, is that the Continental's offer a smoother ride plus less road noise in contrast to the Michelin tires. They'd make a good cruising tire. The Michelins', as a performance oriented tire, are more responsive to driver input and too transmit road conditions a bit more readily. Both options are great it all depends on which way you want to go.
This.

I have DWS06 on my C350 and Pilot A/S 3 (not Plus) on my BRZ. After 10k miles with each set of tires, you've captured (i) why I bought two different sets of tires for each car and (ii) what my experience has been with them.

I currently have some off brand tires on my R/T and I dread driving on wet roads in Caroline as it can get quite sketchy if you know what I mean. She'll be getting some new rubber sooner than not.
Good luck. Let us know what you buy! FWIW, I would buy the DWS06 again, and I would buy the A/S 3+ but not the A/S 3 (non Plus).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts