Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,150 Posts
When I did the blastin bobs resonator delete on my car I got a ton of crackle and pop, it's awesome!! Pretty much every time I deccelerate it pops and cracks like crazy, love it

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I did the blastin bobs resonator delete on my car I got a ton of crackle and pop, it's awesome!! Pretty much every time I deccelerate it pops and cracks like crazy, love it
this is exactly what i want hopefully deleting mufflers and resonators with 3" pipes will do the trick :crying:
will be nice if you have any clips >:)

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,627 Posts
Have the 3 inch Solo with the X-Pipe only. Crackles and pops on the decal, sounds like a tyrannosaurus rex at WOT (not for the faint of heart or people with hippie neighbors). Hear for yourself:
https://youtu.be/dPt7uNs0amc
I have the same exhaust on ours and I agree that it crackles and pops more than any exhaust that I've ever heard!

It's about as free flowing as you can get too because it's mandrel bent 3" stainless with no mufflers or resonators on it. You can be driving down the road, in any rpm range and let off the gas and it crackles and pops! You hit WOT and it's like the Gates of Hades opened up!

It's also drool worthy when you first start the car up because it sounds like the stock exhaust on Steroids! It's got about the same depth, but the volume is maybe three times what stock is! It's kind of a cross between a stock 2015 and up Challenger and a Winston Cup car!

The two Absolute best things about it though, is that with the A8 trans and MDS, has ZERO drone, thanks to the J-pipes! The second thing is Steve from Solo's customer service, which I'd say is one of the best that I've dealt with!

I welded a pair of 4" quad exhaust tips on ours and it was still less than the cost of a comparable 3" stainless system. I'm pretty cheap and I have to say that for $875 shipped to your door, it's a pretty darned good deal, and if you can wait until they have their Black Friday sale (15% off everything last year), it's even better!

By the way, I have NO affiliation with Solo, other than being a Happy Customer!

By the way Junebug, Thanks for the Great video! :cheers:

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,150 Posts
this is exactly what i want hopefully deleting mufflers and resonators with 3" pipes will do the trick :crying:
will be nice if you have any clips >:)
Hmmm I'll try to see if I can get it on video, might not do it justice though.

Straight pipes should pop even louder

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT-8
72 Posts
I have the same exhaust on ours and I agree that it crackles and pops more than any exhaust that I've ever heard!

It's about as free flowing as you can get too because it's mandrel bent 3" stainless with no mufflers or resonators on it. You can be driving down the road, in any rpm range and let off the gas and it crackles and pops! You hit WOT and it's like the Gates of Hades opened up!

It's also drool worthy when you first start the car up because it sounds like the stock exhaust on Steroids! It's got about the same depth, but the volume is maybe three times what stock is! It's kind of a cross between a stock 2015 and up Challenger and a Winston Cup car!

The two Absolute best things about it though, is that with the A8 trans and MDS, has ZERO drone, thanks to the J-pipes! The second thing is Steve from Solo's customer service, which I'd say is one of the best that I've dealt with!

I welded a pair of 4" quad exhaust tips on ours and it was still less than the cost of a comparable 3" stainless system. I'm pretty cheap and I have to say that for $875 shipped to your door, it's a pretty darned good deal, and if you can wait until they have their Black Friday sale (15% off everything last year), it's even better!

I agree. Love both Solo systems Ive had, and for the price don't think there is really a comparison. And you are welcome for the video; always good to have an excuse to go rip up and down the back roads!

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,428 Posts
Reactions: Skullcracker

·
Registered
71 Posts

well i'm lil short on cat back right now i already did the resonator so i'm doing the mufflers for now and will see if it can do the same as yours if not more >:)

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,428 Posts
Has anyone thought about, turning the active values into auto-cut-outs? Replace the active valves with straight pipe that has a "Y" off of it. (lust like cut outs).
During normal operation, the exhaust flows in the straight pipes (active values closed). Then when you give it hard peddle, the active values open, acting as cutouts.
This is assuming the active values open when hard peddle is applied. If so, we could use the active valves to our advantage ?
Any thoughts?
I like your "out of box" thinking, but I don't think the cost would be worth it. The active valve delete device posted earlier seems to me to be a more elegant solution

·
Registered
71 Posts
here what happened when i went to the shop today to delete the mufflers the guy working there said something about losing power and pressure ..
i was disappointed like is that real i thought it was a myth
cuz i told him i already replaced the resonators with 3" pipes and i want to do the same with the mufflers but he insist that i will loss power so what you thinking guys sorry for my noobism

·
Registered
72 Posts
So there is some good info out there regarding the 'loss of power' myth. I did a good bit or research when I put on my catback. Below is what I discovered while I was nerding out; some opinions here, some facts. Take it for what it is worth from a non-mechanic forum writer. Here were my general conclusions:

-Horsepower will increase, torque will decrease in the initial low rpm band with 3" pipe. So are you defining power as top end horsepower or low end torque? 3" allows the exhaust to expand while it is slow (low rpm) effectively reducing your torque until the exhaust gases get up to speed at higher rpm.

-2 3/4" exhaust is perfect for the stock 392 HEMI engine. Best balance of horsepower and torque. Folks that mod their engines most likely demand 3" with the added power.

-Larger 3" pipe will give you that crackle and pop you are looking for because as you let off the throttle, the exhaust gases slow down and have room to expand in the 3" exhaust pipe. This expansion results in back pressure in your pipe as the gas decelerates. Ultimately, the exhaust gas gets stacked up behind the back pressure until that pressure is overcome and the pressure 'bubble' breaks, resulting in the audible pop and crack you hear.

***Ultimately, I could feel a low end difference between the stock exhaust and the Solo 3" when I did the swap (butt dyno). But it pulls harder up top. I would honestly prefer to keep the torque, but I haven't found a 2 3/4" setup that I like more than the Solo with X-Pipe only, and I got my cat back used on CT for cheap, so there it will stay. You also can't beat the sound of a 392 with straight 3" pipes. Awesome. Bottom line, there is trade offs; what do you want in your system?

Here are some good links if you want to read and get more info:
1) Open headers vs. 2.5" vs. 3" (skip to 10:30 for the results). This motor was pushing way more than a 392, but the principal remains the same. High end torque improved, low end torque took a small hit:

2) 2 1/4 inch exhaust or 3-Inch Exhaust - Hot Rod Network

3) Exhaust diameter vs. horsepower and cfm chart:
How To Calculate Muffler Size and Exhaust Pipe Diameter - Exhaust Videos | Exhaust Videos

·
Registered
71 Posts
So there is some good info out there regarding the 'loss of power' myth. I did a good bit or research when I put on my catback. Below is what I discovered while I was nerding out; some opinions here, some facts. Take it for what it is worth from a non-mechanic forum writer. Here were my general conclusions:

-Horsepower will increase, torque will decrease in the initial low rpm band with 3" pipe. So are you defining power as top end horsepower or low end torque? 3" allows the exhaust to expand while it is slow (low rpm) effectively reducing your torque until the exhaust gases get up to speed at higher rpm.

-2 3/4" exhaust is perfect for the stock 392 HEMI engine. Best balance of horsepower and torque. Folks that mod their engines most likely demand 3" with the added power.

-Larger 3" pipe will give you that crackle and pop you are looking for because as you let off the throttle, the exhaust gases slow down and have room to expand in the 3" exhaust pipe. This expansion results in back pressure in your pipe as the gas decelerates. Ultimately, the exhaust gas gets stacked up behind the back pressure until that pressure is overcome and the pressure 'bubble' breaks, resulting in the audible pop and crack you hear.

***Ultimately, I could feel a low end difference between the stock exhaust and the Solo 3" when I did the swap (butt dyno). But it pulls harder up top. I would honestly prefer to keep the torque, but I haven't found a 2 3/4" setup that I like more than the Solo with X-Pipe only, and I got my cat back used on CT for cheap, so there it will stay. You also can't beat the sound of a 392 with straight 3" pipes. Awesome. Bottom line, there is trade offs; what do you want in your system?

1) Open headers vs. 2.5" vs. 3" (skip to 10:30 for the results). This motor was pushing way more than a 392, but the principal remains the same. High end torque improved, low end torque took a small hit:
The Power of 2.5- vs. 3-Inch Exhaust - Engine Masters Ep. 9 - YouTube

How To Calculate Muffler Size and Exhaust Pipe Diameter - Exhaust Videos | Exhaust Videos
cookies for you finally i got the explanation i need :thup: thank you so much

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but if you are having someone chop your exhaust and weld in stuff, might as well look at an X-Pipe or H-Pipe. Both proven to increase performance through exhaust scavenging.
-H-Pipe = more torque, deeper muscle sound
-X-Pipe = more horsepower, exotic sound (higher pitch).

Both improve horsepower and torque, but X pipes are generally the best performers (NASCAR). H-Pipes sound better IMO. But if you listened to my video above, X-Pipes still sound awesome as well. FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

More good videos to compare the two:

1)

2)

·
Registered
72 Posts
And before I get smacked, yes I realize this is a Challenger forum. The above videos are the best examples to illustrate a point...belated apologies for the ugly ass 'Stangs up there, and the first video where they make fun of the beautiful MOPAR...I am flogging myself as I type this.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,627 Posts

The Power of 2.5- vs. 3-Inch Exhaust - Engine Masters Ep. 9 - YouTube

Thanks for the explanation/info Junebug! It was interesting to read. I've seen that video before and enjoy the Engine Masters series.

I've noticed a drop in low end torque after putting the Solo on, but agree that mid range and top end seem to be a bit stronger. It's the sound that gets me though because it sounds Incredible to me. It really does sound like a Winston Cup car when I start her up and also when driving her!

I paid full price for ours and I'd do it again because it's just that different (and I'm cheap and wanted to wait until the Black Friday sale, but took a chance and am glad that I did). I do admit that the stock 2015 SRT exhaust is the best sounding exhaust that I've heard from a factory, but the Solo kicks that up a few notches!

The one thing about the difference in low end torque that I've noticed, is that the car seems to come out of the hole easier and with a bit less wheel spin. There is a benefit to having the powerband move around a bit that way.

Here's an example (and this is hypothetical and may or may not have taken place in a rural road in Mexico :wink3:):

While sitting at a stop light, waiting for it to turn green, a 2015/2016 Chevy SS sedan (LS3 V8) pulled up next to Ruby (our 2015 SRT 392) and looked over like he wanted to roll. The nice thing is that the road turns into one lane, so it's pretty decisive who the winner of the race is. It would be the person who got to the lane reduction first.

Anyway, he started brake torquing his car up, as did I (around 1500 rpm and just starting to load up the rear tires)! The light turned green and he came off the light with his tires billowing smoke, while I came off the light with a little squeal, but building rpm's quickly! I had him by possibly a car or a car and a half before getting through the intersection! By the time I reached the forked road reduction, I might have had three of four cars on him and was pulling away!

He was back enough, that I could start to see him in my rear view mirror. I don't know if he let off or not after he smoked his tires, but Ruby took No prisoners! To say that I had an ear to ear grin and wasn't proud of my Old Girl would be a lie (proving this race actually happened :wink3:)! Then I went back to cruise mode, which is one of the things that the Challenger's does the best!

My point is that sometimes a little loss of low end torque isn't always a bad thing. On a much smaller scale, it's kind of like a PD/TS blower compared to a turbo. The Positive Displacement/Twin Screw might have the low end on a turbo, but the top end charge of a turbo more than likely will make up that difference.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts