Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, thinking is dangerous and I might hurt myself, it's worth the risk.

Since ALL R/T's now share the same size rear end, but the auto's do not get the LSD, would it not now be as simple as swapping out the center section from a open rear end to a LSD since presumably the half-shafts and hubs are the same now?

Say..you have a R/T STP auto, would you not simply be able to swap out the pumpkin to say..one from a ScatPack as long as they have the same ratio?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I am sure at some point someone is going to be a pathfinder on this. They're all 230MM, and I suspect strongly the mounting points are all the same, just one is a LSD and one isn't.

Hopefully someone like Speedlogix will offer an upgrade kit to swap out the peglegger for a LSD.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Only 5.7L automatic has no LSD, all automatics with engines larger than 5.7L have it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will need axles as well as the spline count is different

Figures..

Guess those of us who want a 15+ R/T STP and not have it be a one tire fire will have to wait until someone puts together a full meal deal.

Reactions: 6SpeedR/T

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...is this true for the V6 Challengers, as well?

I think the V6 Challengers get a 195mm Open Diff, all the V8's get 230mm.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Figures..

Guess those of us who want a 15+ R/T STP and not have it be a one tire fire will have to wait until someone puts together a full meal deal.

No Differeance in any of the years you could do it now on a 15 the only issue is no tuning to change the gear ratio so you would have to take to someone that has a Witech Like we do or a dealership

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No Differeance in any of the years you could do it now on a 15 the only issue is no tuning to change the gear ratio so you would have to take to someone that has a Witech Like we do or a dealership

So the rear end from a 2014 will swap into a 15?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I think the V6 Challengers get a 195mm Open Diff, all the V8's get 230mm.

so, is there a 195mm LSD differential available, or does the entire rear need to be swapped out with an LSD R/T rear?

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
so, is there a 195mm LSD differential available, or does the entire rear need to be swapped out with an LSD R/T rear?
Will have to swap, all SXT rears are open only.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The R/T auto and 6 speed cars use the same size ring and pinion, right? The same size differential as well? Knowing this, why couldn't a man get a differential for/from a 6 speed application and swap it into the A8 car while retaining the stock 3.07 A8 gear.
Can it be this simple? If they are both the 230mm size.
The snag I see could be that the LSDs may use a different carrier based on the thickness of the ring gear. The lower the gear, (Higher numerically) The thicker the ring gear is. The taller the gear (Lower numerically) the thinner the ring gear is.
Old school 8 3/4" Mopar axles were pretty simple as compared to GM and Ford stuff. The same differential would accomodate anything from a 2.76 to a 4.30 ratio as delivered by Ma Mopar. The new stuff may be totally different. Back in the 60s and 70s, there were more axle ratios available. To see only 3 ratios available in a new car tells me that technology has made the transmission a much bigger player in the game. Having 6 manual speeds as compared to 4 years ago, along with 8 speeds (automatic) vs 3 in a classic Torqueflite...The rear gear choice is not as crucial as it once was.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The R/T auto and 6 speed cars use the same size ring and pinion, right? The same size differential as well? Knowing this, why couldn't a man get a differential for/from a 6 speed application and swap it into the A8 car while retaining the stock 3.07 A8 gear.
Can it be this simple? If they are both the 230mm size.
The snag I see could be that the LSDs may use a different carrier based on the thickness of the ring gear. The lower the gear, (Higher numerically) The thicker the ring gear is. The taller the gear (Lower numerically) the thinner the ring gear is.
Old school 8 3/4" Mopar axles were pretty simple as compared to GM and Ford stuff. The same differential would accomodate anything from a 2.76 to a 4.30 ratio as delivered by Ma Mopar. The new stuff may be totally different. Back in the 60s and 70s, there were more axle ratios available. To see only 3 ratios available in a new car tells me that technology has made the transmission a much bigger player in the game. Having 6 manual speeds as compared to 4 years ago, along with 8 speeds (automatic) vs 3 in a classic Torqueflite...The rear gear choice is not as crucial as it once was.

I think the ticket would be to get the rear end designed for the R/T Scat Pack. Just the whole meal deal, center, hubs, axles, etc.

Reactions: Kern Dog

·
Registered
516 Posts
When you say "ticket" I see huge dollar signs. I have an axle guy that does all my work on my classic cars. I'd prefer to just replace the one single component that needs the upgrade.
If you have money falling out of your pockets, feel free to share the wealth!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When you say "ticket" I see huge dollar signs. I have an axle guy that does all my work on my classic cars. I'd prefer to just replace the one single component that needs the upgrade.
If you have money falling out of your pockets, feel free to share the wealth!

I'm going on the thought that the spline's might be different between a LSD and Open car. If the axles are different, more than likely everything else is too.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts