Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
first gear on the A8 with 3.90 gears would be useless. Sticky Tires, 4 Speed and 4.10s would be awesome, of course with 500+ Lbs Ft of torque.
Frank,
You take you're 500ft lb 4200 lb 4.10 4 speed sticky tire car and I'll take an 410ft lb 4200 lb 3.90 geared 8 speed sticky tire car and walk off from you.:wink3:

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
...or just snapped half-shafts. :p

·
Registered
813 Posts
Very interesting thread. Thanks for confirming that the 2015 SRT with automatic A8 also has a LSD, it's great to be sure. I've got an issue with mine, if anyone wants a lend a hand please check out this thread. Cheers

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus (SP1)
8 Posts
My 2016 RT plus in PCP is an 8 speed auto with limited slip differential, so I know for a fact it is available in 2016. WHY would anyone NOT put limited slip on a V8? With trac control off these things are a snake off the line even with the performance 20" firestones or Good year F1's.

·
Registered
2016 RT
107 Posts
No, STP does not include LSD. Only Challengers that have LSD standard is M6 manual transmission R/T, all Scat Pack and all SRT.
Is the 15-16 manual lsd the same ratio as 15-16 a8 open diff? would they just swap out? I would start looking for one at junk yard.

·
Registered
13,963 Posts

·
Registered
2016 RT
107 Posts
No, the ZF manual ratio is 3.90 (3.70 w/ Hellcat), the automatic open ratio is 3.07. I don't know if the manual diffs are a direct bolt in but the automatic 3.09 supposedly is ..

2015 and Newer 230mm Differential 3.09 Gear - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Ya thats what I thought. I found the correct 3.09 diff that will swap with the open. $1300 + shipping. Will be purchasing soon.
Wonder if the dealer will be able to tell that I swapped it. If I ever have a drive train issue.

·
Registered
2016 RT
107 Posts
Ordered the 3.09 yesterday. I want to install myself. Found some pics of the install(see attached). Cant see how the axles are able to come out of the pumpkin with axles still in place. What do you think Slidd?

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
How did things turn out, these years later?

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Donde esta el write-o up-o?

Came out great. 2 guys 3 hrs with a lift.
So to recap, you performed one of the most desired and certainly discussed mods to your car, and it was an undeniable success. That's outstanding!

Just a couple quick things though, please confirm:
- there were other folks helping, so you were not required to do every step yourself and thus free to do other things...like take pictures?
- you were using a lift, and so you had ample room to maneuver tools into proper position, e.g. aiming a camera for the proper angle and reference to make the pic useful.
- the task was completed in a timely manner, leaving sufficient time for subsequent, follow-up tasks to be completed, like authoring a DIY step-by-step and illustrating the steps with pictures taken during the event.

All correct?

Then where is our write-up thread?!?!?!

We were counting on it, we needed you!! :frown:

There is still time to put one together you know, even if it will be missing any pics. Just think how much love and adoration you would get from the other members on here if you were to do this for us!! :grin2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
You guys just need to try this out for yourself and see what happens.

I suspect you will find that lsd is not even necessary when launching hard in a straight line on an irs-based car. Either both tires grip or both tires slip (a classic burnout). This is with TC on/semi-off/off. It doesn't really matter because on an irs, there is no reason for just one tire to slip on decent pavement.

The one wheel peel on an open-diff is from the old days when it was a solid rear axle on every car on the road (or I guess you can include many modern trucks in that, too). Under load, the driveshaft would twist the rear axle housing as well, which tended to lift one side. Therein is where the open-diff exhibited this weakness. SRA + open diff is just not a good combo, due to that issue.

IRS + open diff is a different story. One wheel peel is still a possibility, but it is far less an issue than most expect. If you can drive the car "right", it is actually a rare issue. Straightline launches...an open diff works just fine. The only exception to that is if you get water or slippery conditions on only one tire.

For most users and typical street conditions, lsd is merely a bullet point on a sales sheet...nothing more. So there is no need to fret if you don't have it.

The one nice thing about open diff is that you don't get the plowing effect if you put engine load to it while in a tight turn (a right turn corner, for instance). It actually helps you power through the turn. If it were LSD, it would be fighting you in the turn, until you just overpower the rear tires, on-purpose, to induce oversteer.

Now for those owners who have also lowered your car, that does add extra issues, of course. The new springs will be stiffer. Also, if you have upgraded the rear anti-roll bar, that will cause additional lift on the inside tire in a turn. Then you might find the open-diff behavior emerging more often. In that case, you may be actually be better off with LSD, depending on how much it is hampering your operations (just the behavior occurring doesn't mean it is hampering you...it's only hampering if it tangibly prevented you from doing something you wanted to do in that particular scenario).

Thank you. You just saved me a couple of grand. ;)
I had been wondering why all RT's for sale currently have open diffs. So much so I was going to order one with a performance handling package - lsd, brembo calipers, larger rotors, and different shocks.

Can anyone comment further on this option for the current model(s)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had been wondering why all RT's for sale currently have open diffs. So much so I was going to order one with a performance handling package - lsd, brembo calipers, larger rotors, and different shocks.

The automatic 8 speed has the open differential, the 8 speed auto transmission started in 2015, the manual transmission has the LSD differential.

I have a 2015 R/T Classic Plus 5.7L A8, it came with a 3.07 Open Differential, I swapped it out myself to a Mopar 3.09 Limited Slip Differential, using wheel ramps and jack stands. Note: Unless you have a high mechanical ability and a lot of common sense, I don't suggest doing it yourself, but it can be done.

·
Registered
13,963 Posts

It basically turns the R/T into a Scat Pack with the 5.7L so what's not to love? Shocks should be the same since all R/T have STP now. Springs on this package should be a little stiffer than STP, the Scat Pack codes are different. Get the Performance Plus Package to get the Hellcat wheels and 275 tires to really make it go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 102 Posts