Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Link to entire album - https://www.facebook.com/pg/PnwDodgeChallenger/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1664630196942491

For roughly $120 bucks, a custom mod you get to look at every time you drive your car! I am glad I listened to my wife and did not paint anything extra. You can always do that later. I ended up liking the white as it matches the letters and numbers on the gauge face. Read the individual photo comments as I found a few things to do differently than the plethora of videos on YouTube. Total time for install - 1 hour. :) Gauge Faces - Black Cat Custom Automotive - Gauge Faces for all makes and models of cars and trucks - LED Lighting Upgrades

This seems a little exaggerated on the how-to videos. People marking things, putting tape down....just take a nice picture of all gauges. Key off, and key on (do not start the car).

The online videos are accurate on taking this out. 2 screws, pop off face and 4 screws to take it out. Make sure your steering wheel (if adjustable) is all the way towards you. Much easier to take out.

Another change. The videos show taking out all 12 screws, only 6 around the edges. Do not take out the interior screws. (Next picture)

No need to remove these. Only the outer screws as show in the upper left of the picture.

I save all of my original parts. Instead of just ripping this out, I made sure to remove it carefully. These are not glued in, only the center bezels hold them in place.

The needles are different sizes. I simply put them in the correct bays above.

Wash your hands and try not to touch the new faces. Fingerprints, etc. will show. I handled by the edges and used my nylon tool to press down and snap the centers in to place.

Looking good! READ the instructions here.
Online videos say to pry off. That is not necessary. Turn counter-clockwise while turning and they come right off. Reverse it when putting back on. If you overshoot the placement, simply go back around counter clockwise. Some say to take out just the cluster before re-assembling to check the needles. I was confident in my placement and had no issues.

·
Registered
2012 Yellow Jacket SRT8
34 Posts
That's Really Sweet Looking. That Blue 'Pops'. Excellent choice on the MOPAR logo. Nice work
I ran into that site once before , was unsure about my own ability to get the gauge needles in the Exact correct positions I guess fear off false read outs. The video I had watched was tape this tape that careful this watch out that lol. So I dismissed the idea.

Your explanation makes it seem easier. If you don't mind, let me ask you if it was fairly easy to do? And, if I am understanding what they are saying on the site, you ordered the blue option cluster and it uses the factory neutral light then converts it? I was under the impression I had to do some micro wiring. Or was that if you wanted lighted needles?
Anyways, very cool share.

Reactions: swiftjr

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
I did this mod on my '09 and a friend's (also an '09) as well.

One of things I did was to tape off the lens and paint the inside lens mask to eliminate the white altogether.

It was one my favorite mods (other than the cam swap...). Never care much for the indiglo gauges, plus the lighted needles were cool to have.

you can see what this looks like in the 1st pic with the lens mask painted black: 2nd is the "night" mode when lights are on.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's Really Sweet Looking. That Blue 'Pops'. Exceleent choice on the Mopar Logo. Nice work
I ran into that site once before , was unsure about my own ability to get the gauge needles in the Exact correct positions i guess fear off false read outs. The video i had watched was tape this tape that careful this watch out that lol. so i dismissed the idea.

Your explanation makes it seem easier. If you don't mind Let me ask you Fairly easy to do? and if i am understanding what they are saying on the site, you ordered the blue option cluster and it uses the factory neutral light then converts it. I was under the impression i had to do some micro wiring. Or was that if you wanted lighted needles?
Anyways Very cool Share
Hey Bulvoy,

Very easy to do. 6 screws to remove the panel from the car, 6 screws to take apart the gauge cluster. An hour tops taking your time. No wiring, you are correct, that's for the LED needles. Everything is stock except the blue radiant face.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Great job!! That looks fantastic.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,020 Posts
Nice job, it looks great. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I had Black Cat make gauges faces for me a few years ago off of my own artwork. They do a great job.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Been considering doing this, does it also change the color of the green evic display under the speedo?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been considering doing this, does it also change the color of the green evic display under the speedo?
Just popped in after awhile. Yes it does. Mine are now blue!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts