Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if FCA has any plans to spice up the Challenger for 2019 beyond basic color rotations. The Mustang and Camaro have benefited from hp and/or weight reduction. It would be nice if Dodge could find a way to create some buzz with a power increase.

Here is my wish list:

392 - 510hp
5.7- 400hp
Return of Hemi Orange
Return of heritage 5 spoke wheels and fitment onto the scat pack brembo pkg.
Return to original RT classic side stripes as an option to replace bumble bee stripe
Pistol Grip shifter option.
Selective exhaust as on the new Mustang.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
i would like to see them do for the last yr of the challenger a LIMITED edition with the demon motor and cooler system. likely may not happen but i think it would be cool in the hellcat.

·
Registered
219 Posts
According to some the dyno numbers, the 392 is already at 510 hp. :)

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
The only reason that I can think of for Dodge never increasing the 5.7's hp is overall fleet emissions. The 5.7L Ram version is rated at 395 which is suspiciously close the the Scat Pack Stage 1 PCM rating. Would seem like an easy thing to do but I'm guessing it would have an impact on overall emissions. Not like a 395/400hp Challenger would cut into 392 and Hellcat sales.

I also prefer the '09-'14 style R/T Classic stripes and I really liked the hood-to-fender "war stripes" on the pre-'15 cars.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I wondered if ratings were low on my 5.7 T/A. It has cold air intake, 2.75"active exhaust and possibly a little different tune than the R/T but rated the same. Is that for insurance purposes or is it 375?

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I wonder if the 392 would pick up any at the track if it ran a 10 speed automatic like the new Mustang. Could see them moving to that at some point, better performance, better mpgs, etc.

Would be nice if they could incorporate some of the weight loss ideas that went into the Demon into the 2019 models. Obviously not all of them would be feasible, but some of them likely are. Maybe drop 75-100lbs off the car, would help it with performance, cornering, braking, etc.

I'd like to see all Scat Packs come standard with 275 width tires, those stock 245's are a joke. In fact it would be nice if you could get optional 20x10 wheels with 305 width tires on the back and 275's up front.

Should also come with line lock with some sort of track package option. Though for $250 you can get it with a Tazer, just know the Mustangs get it stock from the factory.

·
Registered
193 Posts
From my understanding based on what those "in the know" say on Allpar, we will see Demon trickle down effect into Hellcat and SRT 392 cars for '19. There has been a well photographed prototype red Hellcat driving around with the Demon Air Grabber hood on it so this has led to some thinking that the Demon motor will end up in a regular non wide body Hellcat. Some talk of a HP increase for the 392 in SRT applications. Probably to make the SRT 392's more desirable than just going for a Scat Pak 392 or T/A 392 with the same performance for less $$$. All new car coming in '21 so don't expect too much to change for current car as the development money is being used for new car. Maybe new bumper facias on some models but not too sure about that. One thing that is for sure is a wide body Charger Hellcat in the very near future!

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
I like your thinking.

I see your:
Weight loss
Wider rear tires/wheels
Line-lock

I’ll raise you:
Trans Brake
Better launch control
Drag suspension stuff from the Demon
(90/10 settings and the rear knuckles)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Adaptive cruise for Hellcats is supposedly coming for 2019, if you're concerned about that. Beyond that, who knows? Widebody 392 models? Probably new wheel options and other parts mixing/matching, and that's about it for my guess. They'll keep getting what they can out of what they have for a couple of years yet.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I like your thinking.

I see your:
Weight loss
Wider rear tires/wheels
Line-lock

I’ll raise you:
Trans Brake
Better launch control
Drag suspension stuff from the Demon
(90/10 settings and the rear knuckles)
Can't see them doing a trans brake in the lower models, but that would be cool. They'd see a lot more warranty claims then haha!

Launch control sucks, so any improvement would help. The screen needs to come up faster and needs to be set quicker. I never have enough time to mess with it at the track, I just footbrake to 1300RPM or so and nail it on the third yellow. Seems to get the best 60ft.

90/10 front shocks and 50/50 rear shocks would be cool, maybe as an option package that you could swap on yourself before going to the track, etc. Those shocks suck for handling on the street though, have them on my old Nova.

I'd like to see them make attempts to lighten the car up some. If they could figure a way to shave off even 100lbs that would make a big difference. Would drop cars about a tenth in the 1/4 mile. They already have some of the components on the Demon, wouldn't take any additional R&D, just more production of those particular parts and swapping them out at the assembly line.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For SXT, I can picture an exhaust upgrade similar to the v6 camaro for their optional sport exhaust. That along with upping the horsepower and/or torque to keep up with it's v6 competition.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
Can't see them doing a trans brake in the lower models, but that would be cool. They'd see a lot more warranty claims then haha!

Launch control sucks, so any improvement would help. The screen needs to come up faster and needs to be set quicker. I never have enough time to mess with it at the track, I just footbrake to 1300RPM or so and nail it on the third yellow. Seems to get the best 60ft.

90/10 front shocks and 50/50 rear shocks would be cool, maybe as an option package that you could swap on yourself before going to the track, etc. Those shocks suck for handling on the street though, have them on my old Nova.

I'd like to see them make attempts to lighten the car up some. If they could figure a way to shave off even 100lbs that would make a big difference. Would drop cars about a tenth in the 1/4 mile. They already have some of the components on the Demon, wouldn't take any additional R&D, just more production of those particular parts and swapping them out at the assembly line.
For the 90/10 shocks, they would be electronically adjustable like the Demon. They go back to “normal” as soon as you lift off the gas.

I can see some pretty easy places to loose weight. Take the foam crap out of the rockers for starters! Lol

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
Another idea!

Put the AWD system on the V8 cars...
That would be a weight gain aside the fact that it goes away from the roots of the car.
I want no unnecessary crap added to these cars. Too much nonsense already in them.
A true muscle car is all motor and a good driver to make it go. In the original muscle car day air conditioning was the only nice addition for those who could afford it. Look at any auction and see how desired the plain Jane cars are, they easily go into the six figures without all the frills stuffed in today.
The BIGGEST money adder is a man pedal and manual trans., big dollar difference to one with an automatic.
It’s a different world out there and happy I was around to live through the first wave of cool cars and before big brother and the epa.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only reason that I can think of for Dodge never increasing the 5.7's hp is overall fleet emissions. The 5.7L Ram version is rated at 395 which is suspiciously close the the Scat Pack Stage 1 PCM rating. Would seem like an easy thing to do but I'm guessing it would have an impact on overall emissions. Not like a 395/400hp Challenger would cut into 392 and Hellcat sales.

I also prefer the '09-'14 style R/T Classic stripes and I really liked the hood-to-fender "war stripes" on the pre-'15 cars.
It baffles me that they don't even add parts that are in production, like the 6.4 exhaust manifolds. This seems like such an easy thing to give the 5.7 at least for the Challenger/Charger.

·
Super Moderator
15,350 Posts
It baffles me that they don't even add parts that are in production, like the 6.4 exhaust manifolds. This seems like such an easy thing to give the 5.7 at least for the Challenger/Charger.
Costs - for the R/T Scat Pack base is $39,995

Base R/T w/ Perf Handling Group (Brembo brakes) gets to $34,230

so just with the engine (since both have same brakes & suspension as above) - there's still $5.7K upcharge for the engine after factoring out suspension & brakes.
-both the base R/T Scat Pack and R/T (base) have same cloth / hounds tooth interiors

Those clamshell SRT shortys cost more to manufacture over the cast iron 5.7 manifolds - the price would probably rise more for the R/T 5.7
-and the price point becomes a tipping factor in sales. Base R/T (cloth int) outsells the R/T Plus.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Return to original RT classic side stripes as an option to replace bumble bee stripe
Agree. I had these added the day after I took delivery of my SP.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts