Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a PID in my datalogs which I intentionally record, but I don't know when/if it is important, nor do I know how it is measured and with what sensor. I am speaking of course about the INTAKE MAN TEMP (Intake Manifold Temperature) PID. Does anyone know how this is even measured or by what sensor?

I know it is always higher than the IAT temp reading, except at startup in the mornings after cooling off all night. But once the engine is up to normal operating temperature, the manifold temp will consistently be 10-20F higher than the IAT temp, with summer time bringing the largest delta between the two.

I haven't found anything that says how that temp is used, what it might affect when calculated in, or what sensor provides the reading to the PCM. It's like it doesn't even exist...except that I know that it does because my data logs record its existence.

Surely I am not the first person to notice this black sheep of the PIDs and wonder what's up with it, am I?

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,231 Posts
I’ll bet....if there’s no “actual” sensor for the intake manifold temperature.....that it’s calculated based off IAT and perhaps ambient.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,457 Posts
What's the PID number?

15 (0F hex) is Intake Air Temperature. I believe this comes from the MAF or a temperature sensor for MAFless set ups.

104 (68 hex) is Intake Air Temperature Sensor. Not sure where this comes from but it might be a separate temperature sensor not from the MAF.

119 (77 hex) is Charge Air Cooler Temperature (CACT). This is probably only available in turbo or super charged vehicles.

132 (84 hex) is Manifold Surface Temperature. My reference doesn't indicate if this is the intake or exhaust.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ll bet....if there’s no “actual” sensor for the intake manifold temperature.....that it’s calculated based off IAT and perhaps ambient.
im wondering if the MAP sensor provides the temp reading for that PID

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the PID number?

15 (0F hex) is Intake Air Temperature. I believe this comes from the MAF or a temperature sensor for MAFless set ups.

104 (68 hex) is Intake Air Temperature Sensor. Not sure where this comes from but it might be a separate temperature sensor not from the MAF.

119 (77 hex) is Charge Air Cooler Temperature (CACT). This is probably only available in turbo or super charged vehicles.

132 (84 hex) is Manifold Surface Temperature. My reference doesn't indicate if this is the intake or exhaust.
I’ll have to pull up my Dataviewer software to see if I can see a numeric designation for the PID, it doesn’t normally show one on my Trinity though

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you checked to make sure that batt is covid free? :p

Double the MAP on NA challengers provides temp readings (only 3 wire). Now supercharged challengers there is a temp signal along with MAP signal.

View attachment 992407

View attachment 992406
The Bacon Hauler is not super charged, but we did stay a Holiday Inn Express recently, sooooo...

As for the battery voltage, well that’s something I’m obviously monitoring. The fact that I have to at all angers me greatly, mostly because I may have to admit I made a mistake recently, and that just not something I’m preparedto do right now.

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,231 Posts
@ChallyTatum
My 2018 RAM 4500 w/Cummins Turbo Diesel has a TMAP sensor....just as you described.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts