Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an '06 SRT-10 Ram regular cab with the stock hurst manual and the 2-3 shift was horrible. I locked up the wheels shifting into 1st a few times in fact. Hurst has a great name but the stock shifter they designed in the Ram truck was built to a cheap price point. I switched it out for a B&M, that helped a bit but then I had a really annoying resonance problem with that shifter. I also had the clutch disk replaced under warranty at 12K as the clutch was not strong enough for how heavy that truck was.

Afaik the 392 has the same Tremec transmission, possibly updated. It's likely that I wont be able to drive one as I'll be buying mine out of state as none of the dealers in my area are serious about selling cars. So I'd like to hear from some of the MT owners here and what their opinions are of how the 392 shifts, how tight/loose the linkage is, missed shifts etc. Thanks..

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had an '06 SRT-10 Ram regular cab with the stock hurst manual and the 2-3 shift was horrible. I locked up the wheels shifting into 1st a few times in fact. Hurst has a great name but the stock shifter they designed in the Ram truck was built to a cheap price point. I switched it out for a B&M, that helped a bit but then I had a really annoying resonance problem with that shifter. I also had the clutch disk replaced under warranty at 12K as the clutch was not strong enough for how heavy that truck was.

Afaik the 392 has the same Tremec transmission, possibly updated. It's likely that I wont be able to drive one as I'll be buying mine out of state as none of the dealers in my area are serious about selling cars. So I'd like to hear from some of the MT owners here and what their opinions are of how the 392 shifts, how tight/loose the linkage is, missed shifts etc. Thanks..
I've got the manual trans in my 392 IE and I'm very impressed with the factory shifter. It's smooth, no excess play and it power shifts very well. Everyone tells me the Hurst shifter is way better but that's hard to imagine.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's good to hear there's no excess play. I'm very much interested in that Mopar 10 shifter so long as the shifts are clean and crisp and it doesn't resonate. Usually my only 3 mods are tint, exhaust and the shifter.

·
Registered
355 Posts

The 2006 SRT-10 had a Tremec T-56 and the new 392 uses the TR6060 which is a much improved version. The factory shifter wasnt too bad on my 392, better feel than the one on my wifes Camaro SS but there is absolutely no comparison to the Hurst Shifter that is now installed. Throws are way shorter and much more positive. The Hurst shifter comes with a handle with the classic white ball, but can also be used with the stock pistol grip that comes with the stock shifter which is what I did because I do like the feel of the stock handle. I'm real happy with the upgrade. Hurst is now part of B&M performance products.

·
Super Moderator
17,470 Posts
The TR6060 also is a dual disc clutch - so there's more capacity to the stock clutch over the former single disc setup that a T56 would use.

The TR6060 can be a bit notchy on the 1>2 shift during cold warm up, but after the first 5/6 shifts, its really smooth.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The TR6060 can be a bit notchy on the 1>2 shift during cold warm up, but after the first 5/6 shifts, its really smooth.
My experience as well. Seems a little temperamental, even kinda pissed at times that it has to abide by state highway laws that I deem beneficial to maintaining my voting & gun ownership rights. :p

Also, I think 2nd gear exists specifically to break the ass end loose. Will confirm on the next SRT engineering chat.

One thing, when coasting to a stop in a lower gear (3rd?) - upon pressing the clutch - makes this terrible sounding clunking sound - anybody else getting that? Doesn't sound terrible enough to label as abnormal, though never had a stick that did it before. Maybe some design quirk with the dual disc?

·
Banned
928 Posts
the shifting action is fine on the new 392 for the manual. its pretty smooth, but nothing in comparison to how well it works and how much more fun it is with the Hurst installed

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just off the cusp, do you have any thoughts on how to make 2nd gear more usable?
Heh! Never come to a complete stop? ;)

I've practically just stopped using it altogether (street driving) to be honest. I imagine it's place is more in heavy acceleration duties, as you'd be just touching 1st to get it off the line, then rolling easy into 2nd @ low rpm to take advantage of all that torque across the band... but still... yeah... no idea. Wait... I've got it... drag radials. 2nd gear would love drag radials.

Also have yet to encounter the dreaded skip-shift.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well avconsumer, no one can claim you don't have a sense of humor LOL. We do have the privelige of learning these cars, and it is fun. Yes your comment on DRs is correct, but not totally helpful in street driving! :) what i find interesting, however, is if I downshift into 2nd at 40mph, from any gear, whether 3rd, 4th, or 5th, by rev matching at 4000rpm, I can easily take advantage of the full power bad to 60mph and it is a rocket! It is only when upshifting at full acceleration from 1st, at or near redline, that 2nd gear spins the tires too much. Its appearance is entirely too brief.:scratchhead: 3.80 0-60s? LOL. I really really wish it was so. So it works great at downshifts, but at hard acceleration? I cant fully tap it at upshifts, at least with typical technique, with street tires, on the street. At least for me, so far. maybe others can give input.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well avconsumer, no one can claim you don't have a sense of humor LOL.
Heh! Thanks Doug. All the other stuff you hear about me though - lies!!

I'd also still like to know if anybody else hears that clunking noise when pressing the clutch (from slight engine braking in 3rd to neutral when slowing.) I can't be the only one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I too had a srt-10(hence my screen name.) Chrysler could have done better with the truck shifter. I drove a manual tranny challenger until our auto car was delivered to our dealer. I fell in love with it. I think even my wife could have learned to drive a stick in that car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For me, the console interferes with my quickly grabbing second. It forces me to hold on to the end of the shifter instead of the meat of the handle. Getting used to it though

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have an '05 srt-10 RC ram and a 2010 srt-8 challenger and the shifter feel is night and day between the two. i can relate to hitting 1st at WOT in the srt-10 and popping ther rev limiter as you squak the crap outa the tires in a bad way. i havn't had my car that long but i have stepped on it a bit and really rowed through the gears and havn't missed shift yet! (knock wood)

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Well, I'm used to old pickup 4 speeds and 13 speed semis... so my impression is probably a little different than most. The gates are too close together. Combined with a fairly long throw and too much "side play" in gear (mine has about 3/4") it feels out of whack. 3rd gear can be tough to stab when slappin thru the gears. With all the power on tap, I'm not staying planted in the seat tight enough to stay put & shift fast and accurate. The clutch doesn't have any feel to it and the pedal has a long range of travel. you can't just blip the clutch on power shifts like you can with old mechanical linkage.

Hopefully the Mopar 10 shifter will be a HUGE improvement. The OE shifter is the only real complaint I have about the whole car.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have a 5.7 with a 6 sp... I added the Mopar short throw shift as the stock pistol grip was not to my liking. Now the shifting is fine. But, if you want to do some HD drag racing the Tremec 6060 is not the tranny to have in my humble opinion. Power shifting it would take some practice and maybe some internal work.

Back in the day we use to modify the syncro's on the Munci 4 sp so we could power shift with little or no clutch. That ain't going to with todays stuff.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts