Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day was connecting my drivers side LED fog and I saw the air inlet ducts our 2014 SXTs have. It points where the sidemarker is. I was then thinking is it getting enough air into the air intake housing this way without any direct air?? I mean the inlet duct needs to be getting air from the front of the vehicle not from the side... as you get more air running in from the front of the car.

Why didnt dodge make the inlet ducts like the SRTs have in their lower grill? I have a friend with a 392 and looked at his lower grille and had a direct air inlet duct for his.

So i had an idea, to custom make a tubing that goes from the front lower grille to the air inlet opening, that would feed in more air for sure. I would then need to weld on some sort of filter at the front to stop bugs and whatnot going into the tubing, a small mesh filter of some sort.

What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
12,972 Posts
The stock air box pulls air from the bottom through the fender. There is a silencer/resonator assy down there that is meant to cut down intake noise. Some people remove it for more sound. Conceivably more air flow as well. You can access it through the fender well by pulling the fender liner back. I doubt our engines are wanting for air. If you wanted to do what you suggest, you'd want to remove the silencer, and connect your tube right to the opening below the air box.

A Guy

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock air box pulls air from the bottom through the fender. There is a silencer/resonator assy down there that is meant to cut down intake noise. Some people remove it for more sound. Conceivably more air flow as well. You can access it through the fender well by pulling the fender liner back. I doubt our engines are wanting for air. If you wanted to do what you suggest, you'd want to remove the silencer, and connect your tube right to the opening below the air box.

A Guy
Oh I didn't know that was a resonator for the intake, how do I remove it?
Are there any instructions to remove it?

Even if our engines aren't wanting more air its still good to give it more airflow for better performance.

·
Super Moderator
12,972 Posts
I believe you just turn the wheel to the side, remove the clips holding the fender liner in at the front, and pull the liner back, much as you would to change fog light bulbs, only you'll need more room. 1 bolt holds the silencer, then you just pull it out. You'd do the same to cobble up any intake tube you decided on.

A Guy

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
im not familar with the exact set up on the pre-15 cars, but post 15, those side lower air ducts, direct air to the front brakes to aid in cooling and reduce brake fade, the center one to the radiator

·
Registered
23 Posts
The chin spoiler ducts feed air to the front brakes on pre-15 cars also.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The chin spoiler ducts feed air to the front brakes on pre-15 cars also.
Yeah i've got the 392 chin spoiler and it has those air ducts at the front for the brakes, but i dont have the belly that tunnels towards the brakes, or are all the belly shield the same for brake air ducts the 392 and SXT have?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts