Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to purchase a used 392 out of a 2017 challenger. The seller knows nothing. He claims the block has a number related to a 5.7 block does this make sense? I have been told that they use the 5.7 block on the 392

·
Registered
10,477 Posts
If it's a 392, the block will be orange, it'll have shorty factory headers, the intake manifold will be a two plane style, and there should be an oil cooler manifold where the oil filter spins on.

Post a pic if you have one.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,749 Posts
I believe that 6.4L is actually cast into the block on car Hemis, BGE is cast into the block of truck Hemis (BGE block is actually more desirable). 2018- SRT Challengers also use BGE blocks, all 2018+ 6.4L are BGE blocks. . And yes, big tell is Orange vs Black.

A Guy

·
Registered
15,993 Posts
If you find a VIN stamp on the lower left side of block, the first character should be a "J".

Here's a Hellcat stamp, that engine code is a "9".

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
142 Posts
I guess it all comes down to this, back in the in the day of the LA small block Chrysler engines there were 273,318,340,and 360. To the novice they all looked the same, but they were all separate castings. The same with the early 5.7 6.1 and the late 5.7 6.4 VVT and BGE blocks are all separate castings. If the block is cast with 5.7 on it, it is a 5.7 not a 6.4, just like the early LA blocks there all cast with different bore sizes and/or different casting strengths.

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
the sides of the block will have 6.4 or BGE (later production units) my '16 has 6.4 cast into the side of the block

any Scat Pack or SRT 392 / Hellcat will have an hemi orange painted block.

Redeye, Demon and Super Stock models have red painted engine blocks

5.7s are black painted blocks and all have the cast iron "log" exhaust manifolds

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,012 Posts
Can't you just measure the stroke? 6.4 is unique stroke, right?
94.6 mm (3.72 in) vs 90.88 mm (3.58 in) for the 5.7, 6.1, 6.2 right?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Can't you just measure the stroke? 6.4 is unique stroke, right?
94.6 mm (3.72 in) vs 90.88 mm (3.58 in) for the 5.7, 6.1, 6.2 right?
How are you going to do that without tearing down the motor? The whole point is to identify a 6.4L engine without taking it apart.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
How are you going to do that without tearing down the motor? The whole point is to identify a 6.4L engine without taking it apart.
Pull 1 spark plug, stick in a, stick...
turn, measure, done.
You wouldn't buy an engine that wasn't shown to be running without taking some kind of peak into it, right? Scopes are dirt cheap. So you would be pulling some plugs anyway.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Pull 1 spark plug, stick in a, stick...
turn, measure, done.
You wouldn't buy an engine that wasn't shown to be running without taking some kind of peak into it, right? Scopes are dirt cheap. So you would be pulling some plugs anyway.
You would have to show me how you put in a stick through the spark plug hole and measure the stroke. It still doesn't make sense to me.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
You would have to show me how you put in a stick through the spark plug hole and measure the stroke. It still doesn't make sense to me.
First, I haven't done this in years (decades), and not on modern HEMI, but from what I see, looks like it would work easier like on a OHC engine.
Basically remove spark plug (the more the easier to turn over) drop down a 12" long or so rod/dowl/wire, anything solid that fits, and long enough you won't lose it in there. Keep it as straight as you can in line with the cylinder. Then manually crank the engine over. When it is at one extreme, mark it, and when at the other extreme, mark it. Remove it and measure between the marks.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
While that certainly is a way to do so, the fact remains that all 6.4 block will be painted Orange and cast with a 6.4 designation on the side. All 5.7’s are painted black and have 5.7 cast into them. 6.1’s are also orange but if you are paying attention, and you guessed it they have a 6.1 cast into them. BGE blocks are tricky. If they came in cars after 17 I believe they are all cast with BGE on the block and can be Orange, Red, or Black. Truck BGE blocks from 14-15 were black and came in the Ram 2500 and 3500 gas versions. Hope this info helps you out there sir. I’m not trying to measure anything when I can visually inspect armed with the correct knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
IMG_4081.jpg

Here is the back of a 6.4 engine. With the engraved 6.4 in the casting. This should also help.

IMG_4082.jpg

Here is the drivers side of the same 6.4 engine. Notice the Hemi Orange paint. 6.1’s share this paint color as well but the casting markings are 6.1. This should help you quickly identify those blocks. 5.7’s are always black, like I mentioned above.

IMG_4078.jpg

Notice this block has BGE cast into it, but it is to the left of the Crank, unlike the 6.4 block I showed above. This may be a truck motor thing but it is a difference in the casting.

IMG_4076.jpg

Here is the drivers side of this same motor. Notice the block is also Black but has the BGE markings in the casting. It’s the same on the passenger side as well. Also pay close attention to the oil pan. It is Steel and has a rear sump. This is another tell tell sign that this is an authentic truck BGE 6.4. With the larger valves and a bunch of smog crap that I’ll be deleting. Not going to need that for what I have planned. Hope this helps. If you need to see a 5.7 block I have those also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So if its a BGE engine it should also be stamped on side above oil pan next to dipstick tube? Supposedly my 21' Challenger should have a bge.......but im obviously not gonna pull the motor to check........lol

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
View attachment 1021774
Notice this block has BGE cast into it, but it is to the left of the Crank, unlike the 6.4 block I showed above. This may be a truck motor thing but it is a difference in the casting.

View attachment 1021775
Here is the drivers side of this same motor. Notice the block is also Black but has the BGE markings in the casting. It’s the same on the passenger side as well. Also pay close attention to the oil pan. It is Steel and has a rear sump. This is another tell tell sign that this is an authentic truck BGE 6.4. With the larger valves and a bunch of smog crap that I’ll be deleting. Not going to need that for what I have planned. Hope this helps. If you need to see a 5.7 block I have those also.

Its interesting to note the differences - the truck BGE has the rear sump / steel pan AND the dipstick is on LEFT (driver's) side of engine and the dipstick tube is secured by a bracket to the lower block (trucks use cast iron manifolds on BGE applications)

the passenger vehicle 6.4 (now BGE) are the SRT versions with
Orange block (or Red Block for Redeye / Demon / Superstock applications)
aluminum oil pan
oil dipstick on right side (Passenger side)
shorty tubular "clamshell" exhaust header
and as before all engine blocks have displacement casting ID (5.7 / 6.1 / 6.4) on the sides of the block.

otherwise a bare block that had the paint stripped would be harder to identify unless you look at the casting part # and decode that

Reactions: A Guy
1 - 20 of 22 Posts