Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys (& Gals),

I have a 2014 Core 392 6MT with 5k miles on it. I've recently noticed that the car is idling louder than normal in neutral. The funny part is if I press the clutch in, even with it still in neutral/stopped, the sound returns to normal (quieter). I haven't noticed any difference in the ride or anything else. I did just change my oil at the dealership, right before I noticed this problem but I don't think that could be related, can it?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transmission noise? I know with my hurst shifter it is much quieter with the clutch pressed. Stops all those thingamajig's moving in the tranny.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I guess it could be. Any other thought? Is this natural and just something to live with (its not bad) or could i potentially have a bigger problem?

·
Registered
184 Posts
My vote goes for Throw-out bearing. Apply slight pressure to the clutch pedal and if the noise goes away, it is most certainly t-out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Silly question though...what does that mean? Forgive me for my lack of car knowledge but is this a simple fix, warranty claim or something to live with?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks guys. Silly question though...what does that mean? Forgive me for my lack of car knowledge but is this a simple fix, warranty claim or something to live with?
It is used to engage/disengage the clutch pressure plate. More technical jargon yes.....in simple terms-warranty

·
Registered
272 Posts
nolimitpb, google challenger srt8 throwout bearing noise, I found a thread on this forum which says it is normal for these high performance trannies.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys this puts me much more at ease. Should I stop driving the car until the dealer looks at it? i dont want to put and additional stress on it if parts need to be replaced and i could potentially be damaging the car.

·
Premium Member
2014 100th Annivesary R/T
517 Posts
Good luck at the dealer hope they are able to identify the issue and resolve it for you. Warranty repairs are nice, better it happen early than 500 miles after it expires! :disgust:

-Kenny

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
My M6 has made a lot of noise since day one, most performance trannies have these noises, its mostly because its double disc and your hearing the floater plates.

There are more things to rattle in 2 or 3 disc clutches. You should here the the triple disc on my off road car...

My Challenger sounds like a small box of marbles, and my off road car sounds like I dumped a entire collection of marbles in the bell housing.

·
Premium Member
10,043 Posts
Normal for these cars and it's more pronounced in the garage or next to a building reflecting the sound.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts