Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a long time Corvette lover and have had 23 of them over the years. The history of the Vette is much longer than the Challenger's but I am starting to see some trends between the two. I see right now that Dodge is going down the same path with special editions like the original 2008 challengers being limited editions, the special colors that come out each year, etc.

The current parallel I see is the release of the IE 392's vs. the 1996 Grand Sport. Both are limited editions with the IE being produced as an 1,100 unit run (U.S) while the Grand Sport was limited to 1,000 units. There is nothing that the 392's have over the regular SRT's this year other than cosmetics; interiors, colors, and badging. The same was true with the Grand Sports when they were released. They did have a somewhat more powerful engine than past years but any 1996 Vette could be orderd with the same engine as long as it also was ordered with the manual transmission.

I started to buy a 1996 Grand Sport in 1996 but decided not to because it was a little loud for my tastes. I've kicked myself for years for not getting one. When the IE 392 was released I decided not to make the same mistake again. I believe, like the 1996 Grand Sport, that this will remian a special car. It won't appreciate in value any time soon but it will always be unique.

Having said the car won't appreciate in value, I do believe it will hold value better in the long run just like the 1996 Grand Sport. Those Grand Sports are still sought after even though the C5's and C6's outperform them in every way and other 1996 Vettes performed just as well.

Putting current and future value aside, I believe, again like the Grand Sport, that the IE 392 will have it's place in Challenger history, a place that I feel very fortunate to be able to be a part of. For those that are cancelling or thinking about cancelling their 392 orders becuase of small issues or long wait times, I suggest you think about more it and realize the opportunity that you have right now that may never come along again. I predict that you won't regret holding out for the IE 392 and will be able to put up with the minor flaws and annoyances that it has.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Good read and insight. I've always like the 1996 Grand Sport look.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Agreed... For a car to be of value it has to be different than what was the most popular. Here is an example.... 1969 Chevelle SS 396ci/325hp, 2 dr post coupe, 3 speed on the floor, Hust Shifter, no carpet (rubber floor covering) bench cloth seats, radio and no A/C. Yep, it was mine at one time.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Any pony or sport car ever made ,
white with blue stripes,
has been collectible to uber collectible

Shelby's Stangs
Vipers
Cobra's
Challengers
TA's , etc..& I'm not ....Uhhh ...biased ... :icon_razz:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I am a long time Corvette lover and have had 23 of them over the years. The history of the Vette is much longer than the Challenger's but I am starting to see some trends between the two. I see right now that Dodge is going down the same path with special editions like the original 2008 challengers being limited editions, the special colors that come out each year, etc.

The current parallel I see is the release of the IE 392's vs. the 1996 Grand Sport. Both are limited editions with the IE being produced as an 1,100 unit run (U.S) while the Grand Sport was limited to 1,000 units. There is nothing that the 392's have over the regular SRT's this year other than cosmetics; interiors, colors, and badging. The same was true with the Grand Sports when they were released. They did have a somewhat more powerful engine than past years but any 1996 Vette could be orderd with the same engine as long as it also was ordered with the manual transmission.

I started to buy a 1996 Grand Sport in 1996 but decided not to because it was a little loud for my tastes. I've kicked myself for years for not getting one. When the IE 392 was released I decided not to make the same mistake again. I believe, like the 1996 Grand Sport, that this will remian a special car. It won't appreciate in value any time soon but it will always be unique.

Having said the car won't appreciate in value, I do believe it will hold value better in the long run just like the 1996 Grand Sport. Those Grand Sports are still sought after even though the C5's and C6's outperform them in every way and other 1996 Vettes performed just as well.

Putting current and future value aside, I believe, again like the Grand Sport, that the IE 392 will have it's place in Challenger history, a place that I feel very fortunate to be able to be a part of. For those that are cancelling or thinking about cancelling their 392 orders becuase of small issues or long wait times, I suggest you think about more it and realize the opportunity that you have right now that may never come along again. I predict that you won't regret holding out for the IE 392 and will be able to put up with the minor flaws and annoyances that it has.
GS has always been my favorite Vette.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I remember wanting one of those '96 GS's so bad back in the day. Beautiful beautiful car but way out of my budget. Harder for me to get impressed with the IE392 these days, but I am definitely going to get my hands on a regular 392 for sure this time!

...if IE392 had those wheel flares and the red stripes hmmm....lol...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts