Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was having a discussion today with someone about the big discounts on Challengers that so many on this board have continually looked for and some are actually getting.

If Chrysler and the dealers have to continue to do this, I am confident this awesome Challenger experience may not last.

When you get the big discounts you are really killing the used market as well which will hurt you in the long run. I know, I know, you are "never" going to sell your Challenger, but I am guessing 75% of you will sell in the future for another hot rod at some point. Life can also hit you in the head real quick and have a need to sell it.

I frequent some Viper boards and the owners really give the new guys he!! for trying to put dealer against dealer driving the prices down.

I realize everyone wants to get a good deal, but in the long run, you are hurting all of us.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I just need Dodge to continue for the next 3 months with the Challenger until I order my 392 Redline.... then I WISH they stop making this car! I don't want 500,000 of these around. Do you?

5,134 Posts
So let's all pay $8K more for our new car so that we can get $2K more on resale? Sorry, I don't follow you at all.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I Wish they would stop making them TODAY! would make my practically new 09 R/T worth more and more. They have and will flood the market for as many years as they can until they make them quit making them.

My 09 R/T is for sale 33K with only 1750 miles.. no way i'm giving my car away....... pics are in the photo bucket down below if someone wants a solid Challenger with low low miles.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Chrysler has their hands full trying to make and sell new ones. They could really care less what the used market brings.

It's a "niche" car, and it was in high demand, especially in certain colors/options, but that's all changing.

If they quit producing, it's due to sales vs. profit margin, not because people started getting them at below MSRP

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
so long as they make the Cuda to replace it, I'll be happy.
I for one will be keeping this car till death do us part. The 2010 well thats another story.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Challenger Years Are Limited

I've said this from day one, if anyone thinks the Challenger will be around for more than a total of five to seven years, you're in for a big surprise. While the Challenger IMO is the best looking retro car out there, the Dodge boys never intended for this car to be around any longer than the original Challenger of the 70s. This car is just not that popular among tha masses of the Muscle Car enthusiasts. Too many rice burner lovers out there; the gas mileage for the SRT8 Challenger is lower than a comparable Shelby GT500 that pumps out 550 ponies!

The huge discounts are a tell tale sign that this car is just not that popular anymore unless you have one already and are trading in. It is a two door, and it has to compete with the Vette, Mustang, and Camaro (Z-28 debuts this year with a 600 HP plus power plant), and those cars are outselling the Challenger by far. Chevy already has beaten the Challenger in sales with the Camaro with a low life 422 HP drive train, so they have their sights set on stomping on the Shelby GT500 now, and trust me, they have the power plant to drop in the Z-28's engine bay right now to surpass the Shelby GT500 550 pony power plant.

The Challenger is a "cult niche" car for the die hard MOPAR fanatic like you and me, and most of us have our cars now.

I give production to last for three more years. I hope I am wrong, but Chrysler just isn't giving our Challengers the marketing strategy and funding it needs to pull buyers away from the cars mentioned above. Now if Chrysler drops in the V-10, then that will pull buyers from Chevy and Ford potential buyers and give new life to the Challenger as a super Muscle Car that can compete with Chevy and Ford super cars.

5,134 Posts
The Challenger is a "cult niche" car for the die hard MOPAR fanatic like you and me, and most of us have our cars now.
I disagree. There have been countless posts here on CT from guys for whom the Challenger is their first Mopar. Getting die-hard chevy guys to buy a Dodge is a major accomplishment.

·
Registered
495 Posts
A niche car like the Challenger has a short life cycle. Dealers discount to get them off the lot faster as they aren't selling like they initially did and the dealers need the cash flow.

As soon as Fiat/Chrysler doesn't see any strategic advantage to showcasing the Challenger they will stop production and move to another vehicle.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The biggest problem for the Challenger is it's price...way overpriced compared to Camaro and Mustang..Full loaded 426 hp camaro..sub 40k....Challenger 45k. That is why you see tons of new Camaro's on the street,plus Camaro has more color,and wheel and interior options. When the Challenger came out,there was less competition,so they got away with a higher price,now it's a detriment

·
Registered
820 Posts
The Challenger will be built until at least 2014 after that I don't see it going any further. I understand what the OP is saying but people are going to want the lowest price they can get. Dealers are killing the Challenger with all of the mark up and unethical tactics they use, it's not the price it's all of the added bull. The Challenger has never been intended to be a large volume seller anyway.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Another, much more knowledgeable member than me once said that the Challenger's role is to fill in the production at the plant where it and the Charger are made. As long as its doing that, I would think Chrysler will keep producing it.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
If they quit producing, it's due to sales vs. profit margin, not because people started getting them at below MSRP
UH you kind of backed over your self there. Profit is directly related to total $$ below MSRP = less profit.
I disagree. There have been countless posts here on CT from guys for whom the Challenger is their first Mopar. Getting die-hard chevy guys to buy a Dodge is a major accomplishment.
First Dodge car I've ever had, had a few pickups but no cars.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I agree with the guys saying the run for Challengers built of 5 years total is right on IF not sooner. Forecast of gas prices early next year to level out at $3.00 a gallon and go up back and forth from there never coming below 3 bucks again. Read that in more than one article. Its the future fuel cost and the economy thats going to kill off some of these muscle cars.

Its ashame if they do stop building such a car even though i am a Chevy/GM guy thru and thru this Challenger is one of the best looking cars i've purchased. Just wish i had more time to drive it.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
The Challenger will be around longer than some would think, just like the Viper did. Because they sell Chargers, SUV's, and Mini-vans. They bring excitement to the brand. The nay thing that could hurt it's longevity would be if the Alpha 159 that will be built in Brampton sells well and they need the production capacity for sedans. Remember that Chrysler builds all the LX/LC cars at one plant. The same reason the Maggie had to die for the Challenger to be born.

The American buyer has gotten spoiled by the makers use of discounts and incentives to the piibtthat many won't buy without them. As a result, the stickers are inflated and discounts are a fact of life. A new car had a short window where the dealer can make some serious money, but that time has passed for the 08-10. You won't see these discounts on the 11's for awhile.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
How many?

I've said this from day one, if anyone thinks the Challenger will be around for more than a total of five to seven years, you're in for a big surprise. While the Challenger IMO is the best looking retro car out there, the Dodge boys never intended for this car to be around any longer than the original Challenger of the 70s. This car is just not that popular among tha masses of the Muscle Car enthusiasts. Too many rice burner lovers out there; the gas mileage for the SRT8 Challenger is lower than a comparable Shelby GT500 that pumps out 550 ponies!

The huge discounts are a tell tale sign that this car is just not that popular anymore unless you have one already and are trading in. It is a two door, and it has to compete with the Vette, Mustang, and Camaro (Z-28 debuts this year with a 600 HP plus power plant), and those cars are outselling the Challenger by far. Chevy already has beaten the Challenger in sales with the Camaro with a low life 422 HP drive train, so they have their sights set on stomping on the Shelby GT500 now, and trust me, they have the power plant to drop in the Z-28's engine bay right now to surpass the Shelby GT500 550 pony power plant.

I give production to last for three more years. I hope I am wrong, but Chrysler just isn't giving our Challengers the marketing strategy and funding it needs to pull buyers away from the cars mentioned above. Now if Chrysler drops in the V-10, then that will pull buyers from Chevy and Ford potential buyers and give new life to the Challenger as a super Muscle Car that can compete with Chevy and Ford super cars.
I wonder just how many Challengers would sell if a V-10 were installed, considering fuel is going up once again? There are only so many performance guys/gals out there willing to buy these type cars.

Just rented and drove a Dodge Avenger R/T with a 2.7 litre engine from Vegas to Arizona. I put 166 miles on it, set the cruise on 65 almost the whole trip, and averaged right at 34 mpg. I've made this trip countless times using rentals from all manufacturers, including imports. This 34 mpg is the best I've ever got. I'm willing to bet if Dodge put these fuel miser engines in the Challenger, they'd sell a ton more of them.

Most people I know love the look of the Challenger, but can't afford the cost to operate if used as a daily driver.

Sorry for straying off the subject Goehner.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Herp Derp!! You are worried about paying customers putting the caboches on the Challenger because they try to get a better deal?! If you wanna worry about the challenger and for that matter the rest of whats left of the American auto industry going the way of the Dodo bird. Well then worry about the North American Auto workers union pricing them selfs out of the market!!!:slant: Jesus...Take a business/econ class dude...

1 - 20 of 212 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.